home

Author Topic: Ideas for the next online battle; starter thread  (Read 4223 times)

Offline carmaul

• Members
Ideas for the next online battle; starter thread
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
I wanted to start a thread discussing the next TDG/TEG.

Obviously one side has to be empire, but what style of list?

And who should oppose us?

My initial thoughts would be towards a solid list that is not wimpy but not ultra-competitive.  I think we should try to incorporate some things that we might not use normally. ie. gote on griffon or a mage with a lore that isn't used nearly as often (fire comes to mind).

If HHG is not back, I would even be willing to run it.

What are other people's ideas?

edit:  and how many points?  I know HHG uses 2500, but I was thinking a smaller game (1000-2000) or we can even go smaller if people want a smaller and quicker game.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:24:36 PM by carmaul »

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
Re: Ideas for the next online battle
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
I'd love to see a 1500 game played out. Against the new Dwarfs would be cool.
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline Khalim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:59:43 PM »
Would be cool to see a 1500pts game that actually uses a GotE as the general.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:55 PM »

I do not have the new Dwarfs book.  I do have army builder and can pull the stats but I might need to ask specific rules.

I love the idea of a 1500 point game though.

Do you have the book and do you wish to be the Dwarfs?

Would be cool to see a 1500pts game that actually uses a GotE as the general.

As above,  I think 1500 points with a GotE would be nice.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Offline Hoffa

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
Dwarfs are a must. I would be on the dwarf team in that case.

( I was just wondering why the TEG thing died out)
My dice has again betrayed me

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »

HHG took a break from it while there was an attempt to run a 10k Empire vs WoC.  He hasn't been online in over a month, so there hasn't been much discussion regarding it until I started this thread.

I was waiting for some more people to weigh in on an online battle.  Meanwhile,  let's post an army list for 1500 empire vs new dwarfs.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
Great idea, it´s been too long since the last TDG.

1500p sounds good. Testing something new, great, but a mighty Griffon will fall quickly to dwarven warmachines. I´d like to see how the new Dwarf Armybook plays but I´d prefer a game with fewer cannons. Maybe switch the enemy army (Skaven?) or leave the Griffon at home and build an army that is better against Dwarves.

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:58 AM »

I do not have the new Dwarfs book.  I do have army builder and can pull the stats but I might need to ask specific rules.

I love the idea of a 1500 point game though.

Do you have the book and do you wish to be the Dwarfs?

I do not have the book, nor would I be interested in commanding those stunted goons! I would, however, be very interested to see how a smaller battle against their new book plays out.

Testing something new, great, but a mighty Griffon will fall quickly to dwarven warmachines. I´d like to see how the new Dwarf Armybook plays but I´d prefer a game with fewer cannons. Maybe switch the enemy army (Skaven?) or leave the Griffon at home and build an army that is better against Dwarves.

I wouldn't want to see a GotE on a Griffon in such a small game. Just seems like a waste of points. And I don't think it's necessary to take Skaven. If we're bringing a GotE for fun, then we surely don't need to play with tons of artillery. That's the norm. Let's just have fun with it. What about an Organ Gun and Flame Cannon instead of the standard double Cannon with Grudge Thrower(s) to taste?

I'm more interested in seeing how the revamped OG and FC work anyway. Runed cannons haven't really changed. Throw in some Hammerers, Longbeards, a couple of Gyros... Irondrakes, even!

K.
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »
I wouldn't want to see a GotE on a Griffon in such a small game. Just seems like a waste of points. And I don't think it's necessary to take Skaven. If we're bringing a GotE for fun, then we surely don't need to play with tons of artillery. That's the norm. Let's just have fun with it. What about an Organ Gun and Flame Cannon instead of the standard double Cannon with Grudge Thrower(s) to taste?

I'm more interested in seeing how the revamped OG and FC work anyway. Runed cannons haven't really changed. Throw in some Hammerers, Longbeards, a couple of Gyros... Irondrakes, even!

K.

Unless someone comes in with a fantastic idea in the next day or so,  let's set up a 1500pt game Empire vs the new Dwarfs.  I do need someone with the new Dwarf book to be them (army builder has not updated yet nor do I have access to the new book yet).

Let's see a few 1500pt lists for Empire (or Dwarfs) posted and we'll decide on one.  Let's not make any nasty lists.  I like the Organ Gun and Flame Cannon for Dwarfs.  And GotE of some fashion for Empire.  I am also thinking no to the griffon mount in a 1500pt game.

Oh, and give your army list a name if you post one.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »
Because of the competitive side of the game I don´t want to reveal either army while the other general is still deciding on his own list. I prefer if the mod decides on a secret dwarf list beforehand, or we can start making armies in two separate threads.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »
Because of the competitive side of the game I don´t want to reveal either army while the other general is still deciding on his own list. I prefer if the mod decides on a secret dwarf list beforehand, or we can start making armies in two separate threads.

That is a good idea.  I will create two additional threads, one for dwarf and another for empire.

Empire Thread here:  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=48437.0

Dwarf Thread here:  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=48438.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:31:02 PM by carmaul »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Ideas for the next online battle; starter thread
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
might be handy to give them the appropriate tags aswell: TEG7 (I think it was)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
might be handy to give them the appropriate tags aswell: TEG7 (I think it was)

I thought about that, but I think the TDG/TEGs are HHG's and I didn't want to use what he was using so I simply called it "Online Battle" for now.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »
Is there anyone here?

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
Sorry.  I caught a nasty cold last weekend and I have been out of commission for a few days.

I just don't see as much participation in this as HHG got in his TDG/TEGs.   Maybe some people are just feeling lazy or something.   I almost want to just wait a week or two and see if any more people join in before we begin.

What do you think?

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »
Yeah, let´s give it a little more time, I´d rather have two full teams than play a 1v1.

If you want to get more attention for the game then PMing some old TDG players or making an announcement thread in one of the more visited forums might lure a few more players here.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
If you're going to do this, I suggest you just play 1v1.  If people want to chime in on one side or the other, they can do so.  Teams will bog things down even more.

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 09:18:54 PM »
If you're going to do this, I suggest you just play 1v1.  If people want to chime in on one side or the other, they can do so.  Teams will bog things down even more.

I agree with this now.  I would like to get this thing moving, even if it ends up being 1v1 or 2v2.  And then people can chime in if they decide to help one side (I only ask they do not look at the other thread in that case).

Let's finalize the lists in the appropriate threads and get this started this weekend.  If you want to be on either side, please chime in in their threads:

Empire Thread here:  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=48437.0

Dwarf Thread here:  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=48438.0

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »
HHG took a break from it while there was an attempt to run a 10k Empire vs WoC.  He hasn't been online in over a month, so there hasn't been much discussion regarding it until I started this thread.

Carmaul-  awesome to see other people getting energized about TDGs/TEGs.

I needed a break.  Plus, I have been gone overseas for a bit.  Happens a lot when you are in the military.

Let me know if you need any assistance.  When you are done with this one, I plan to fire up another one.

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline carmaul

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »

I needed a break.  Plus, I have been gone overseas for a bit.  Happens a lot when you are in the military.

Let me know if you need any assistance.  When you are done with this one, I plan to fire up another one.

HHG

I have generated some terrain while I wait for the two sides to finalize their armies.  What is the easiest dice program?  I know you have tried at least two online ones plus just rolling them in person.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »

HHG

I have generated some terrain while I wait for the two sides to finalize their armies.  What is the easiest dice program?  I know you have tried at least two online ones plus just rolling them in person.

The easiest is Dicelog.  Once you get an account, you can start a log for the battle and it keeps a running tab.  However, the dice sometimes will run in batches and it can effect the battle.

What I use now is a truly random roller from random.org.  It won't keep a log for you, but there are many different ways you could write down and keep track of the results.  I created a webpage and copied the dice icons over to it after I rolled so people could visually see what happened with each roll.

So, to answer your question, go with Dicelog for the easy solution, or random.org for more difficult, but more random results.

HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker