home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 803353 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11100 on: April 27, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »
For those Dad of War posts:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11101 on: April 30, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
It's a good time for gaming, at least for me.
Been a while since there were several releases in a small window I all want to play!

Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire, Battletech, Total War Thrones of Britannia... I already have Battletech, but put it off until I've finished my PoE playthrough. And since you get to import your savegame into Deadfire, I'm pretty completionist about it.  :-D

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #11102 on: May 01, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
Somehow God of War keeps getting better.  It is astounding.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11103 on: May 01, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
Not my kinda game, but glad to hear they manage to reinvigorate the franchise!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #11104 on: May 01, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
I've always liked that Zelda style game.  Thats effectively what they did here.  They went from arcade style beater with quick time bosses to a violent and creative Zelda style RPG.

And somehow it worked!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11105 on: May 01, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
Just finished Pillars of Eternity.

I LOVED IT!

I was pretty completionist about it because I know I can carry over my save into part 2 which comes out next week. And the great thing: ending slides! Fallout 2 style! Like, endings and epilogues for everything and everyone according to what I had done over the course of the game. Reaffirming that this was truly a roleplaying game again, one where you could make decisions that mattered and choices that had consequences. That was so, so satisfying. It's so simple, and yet a million times more gratifying and immersive than some grand action laden ending cinematic.

Can't wait for the 8th of may! Deadfire archipelago, here I come.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11106 on: May 01, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »
And guess what? I had nothing planned except gaming today, so now I get to play Battletech. Been looking forward to it, and it took quite a bit of restraint to put it off until I had finished PoE.

Finish one great game, start another (hopefully also great) one. Not bad considering how far between games I really like tend to be these days.
 :-D

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11107 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »
The little bit I've played from PoE was fantastic and I can't wait to sink more time into it. Since so many people on here were talking about Battletech I've looked into it more and actually really like how I'm seeing. Big fighting mechs are already good, but I like the way it's just as much about running your mercenary company/house as it is fights. I thought it was going to be just mech fights, but the running part really gets my interest.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11108 on: May 03, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
Battletech is great. It does have its flaws (UI could be better, options to skip/speed up some animations would be welcome, just to name a few), but it's super fun.

What I like the most: they managed to keep the Mechs distinct from each other better than in any other Battletech game I've played. Customization follows some pretty rigid criteria, the most limiting of which are hardpoints. You can only install weapons on hardpoints of the corresponding category (e.g. missile, energy weapon). Want to install another medium laser and there aren't any hardpoints of that nature on that chassis? Tough cookies. Better think of something else.

What I love about that system is that you can't just slap your preferred weapon mix onto every mech, limited only by weight, and call it a day. You have to work with what's there, and that gives each Mech a personality, which is GREAT. As much as I loved MW2 back in the day, weight was the only criterion that mattered. Everything else was adaptable.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #11109 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »
I've bought a new PC. Finally! Now I'll be able to play some new, fantastic games. First of all: TW: Warhammer (got all the DLC's for it), then Vermintide on full details, then Mordheim and then... we'll see. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11110 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
I've bought a new PC. Finally! Now I'll be able to play some new, fantastic games. First of all: TW: Warhammer (got all the DLC's for it), then Vermintide on full details, then Mordheim and then... we'll see. :biggriin:

What a feeling to have new hardware. Good luck and enjoy!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11111 on: May 04, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »
Yeah, I had to. My old PC is 8 years old and works really slow, as well as requires a few updates. I'm not too keen on updating an 8-year old machine, so decided to buy a new one. :smile2:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:08:31 PM by Xathrodox86 »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11112 on: May 04, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Congrats man. Those games gonna keep you busy for a while!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11113 on: May 04, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
Congrats man. Those games gonna keep you busy for a while!

I hope so. Although I don't have that much time to play, with all my hobby-related time diverted towards tabletop and RPG's.

I need to check out the 2016 Doom asap. :smile2:

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11114 on: May 05, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
Battletech can be really hard sometimes. Especially, but not exclusively, in procedurally generated missions.

You do get an estimate on the difficulty before you accept a contract (1-5 skulls), and you get some idea what you might be fighting (based on which you negotiate your payday by emphasising money or salvage rights) - but that can be off by a pretty good margin. Which is intended design, sometimes mercs get shitty intel and it screws them. So you might be expecting to fight one lance of mechs, but it turns out its actually 2 with armor support.

You can always withdraw from a contract, and you have to wrap your head around the fact that sometimes, that's what you need to do. There are situations that are virtually unwinnable. If you kill at least one opponent before you do the Merc review board calls it a good faith withdrawal and you don't get a reputation hit. You obviously engaged and gave it a fighting go. No kills - bad faith withdrawal, no pay and lose rep.

And you will lose pilots eventually, unless you savescum a lot. A single wound can already put someone out of action for 3 weeks easily, and operating costs escalate continuously the more people and machines you have available. I run fixed costs of about 500K C-Bills per month at the moment, so it's always a hard choice deciding between salvage and money. "I could get my monthly budget covered by this one mission. OR I could take a measly 50K in cash, and get salvage rights for 14 pieces of equipment, with priority pick on 4... *HNNNNG*"

I'm having fun is what I'm saying. Benkei's Roughriders are tearing it up in the periphery!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:51:54 AM by Aldaris »

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11115 on: May 05, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
I still haven't convinced myself to buy it.  The battles look fun but the base management stuff looks tedious.

Then again, I thought the same about X-Com and had a blast with that.

PSA - it's cheaper on GoG.  At least in AusBux.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11116 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47:57 PM »
Management is pretty quick and painless actually. What does the management part entail, you ask? Okay. You train up your mechwarriors in 4 separate linear skill trees (gunnery, piloting, guts and tactics) with experience. That's one part. Later on you can expand your base of operations with upgrades. They're just buffs (more mechs ready for combat in the hangar, faster healing time, stuff like that) and strictly optional, and you can only build one at a time. Pay money, wait for completion, profit. Then you can customize your mechs. That you can spend quite some time with if you're so inclined. Tinkering with loadouts has always been a Battletech staple, and it's fun! And finally you can buy and sell parts, or hire new Mechwarriors.

That's basically it for the management part. Unless you're rolling up your sleeves and trying to configure some unconventional Centurion variant, it takes a couple of minutes at most between missions. Okay yeah, you also get to pick assignments of course. Or travel to a solar system of your choice and look what work is available there. It's fun, but it's not super deep and time consuming. IMO they hit a good balance.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11117 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »
Sounds great! Never actually played a Mech Warrior or BattleTech game. Ok for a casual pickup?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11118 on: May 07, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »
Sure, it does a good job of introducing the world IMO. Cool feature in that regard: Whenever some piece of lore, a well known NPC or something is referenced in a conversation, that bit of text is highlighted, and a mouseover will give you a pop up with information on it. That's an elegant way of doing it IMO - no one who has ever played Battletech (or any in-universe character for that matter) needs to be told who Hanse Davion is. If you don't know though, mouseover and you're informed. Much more elegant than the usual "tell me about X" conversation option in RPGs about stuff your character really ought to know already.

As for the game itself - it starts out rather easy, but the difficulty does pick up, and it's not huge on explaining stuff beyond the very basics. So - I don't know if I'd recommend it for a super casual pickup, but not knowing the universe is fine.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #11119 on: May 08, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
I would play Battletech if I had a rig to run it.  I know nothing of the lore but it looks fun.  The management aspect of the game isn't that much, outside of building your mechs which seems like the whole point of the game to begin with.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11120 on: May 09, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
Sounds great. Is it on steam? I meed to buy a new machine - hopefully when wifey gets a new job will be less pressure on my earning...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11121 on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »
Get it on GoG.  It's ten bucks cheaper.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11122 on: May 10, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
...Aaaand I'm on PoE2: Deadfire.

Everything I said about PoE1 applies, only better. Love it so far. It really does feel like a modern Baldurs Gate - only less classic D&D and more modern Fantasy. You wouldn't have got "kindly fuck off" as a conversation option in BG, to give an example. Combat is even better than in the first one, multiclassing offers some cool options, the companions are cool and well written, and the relationship system system seems solid.

Every party member has a page on their chraracter sheet listing what they like and dislike, and their current relationships with other party members. So Aloth likes dutiful, conscientious behavior, while Serafen the Orlan (kinda like a blue-furred hobbit) is a lighthearted pirate who doesn't respond well to racist stuff. Eder is a joker too and likes animals, but is quite racist towards Orlans in a patronizing, objectifying way. So you need to keep an eye on what's being said and done, and who you take along with who - or be ready to step in before things get out of hand. Or hey, let them get out of hand. Or encourage it. This is a true roleplaying game.

And it's really nice to see how my choices in the first game carried over!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11123 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Playing Battlefield 4 on ultra settings. Feeling like royalty. I've plugged in my Samsung HD tv and now I have a gaming rig from heaven. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11124 on: May 11, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
Playing Battlefield 4 on ultra settings. Feeling like royalty. I've plugged in my Samsung HD tv and now I have a gaming rig from heaven. :blush:

How is this game? I played the living life out of 1-3 and 2142 which is my favorite all time game. I will probably never play this unless I get a divorce (I could slip over to my sons place) so I’ll have to imagine it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.