home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 803512 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11075 on: April 14, 2018, 01:00:02 AM »
Anyone else play Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock?

I picked it up on Steam a few days ago.  It has a decent campaign so far (its colonial fleet campaign only). I really like the turn based approach to fleet management.  Real time (like Battlefleet Gothic: Armada) can be a bit much to manage at times when there is so much happening on screen.  The story takes place during the first cylon war and you are the commander.  You will have to play politics with the colonies, try not to upset Admiral Cain, while also fighting off the cylon armada. It can be pretty brutal at times (I picked up the DLC which grants more ships but it gives the cylons an anti fighter gunboat that murders my OP viper IIs) as your fleets try to squeak by and protect everyone.

My only real complaint, and I guess it is a conceptional one, is that there doesn't seem to be any torpedo/bomber class of fighter which means you pretty much only have vipers and the occasional raptor.  I guess I am spoiled as they do exist in other sci-fi WW2 carrier style fleets like in Star Wars or Wing Commander.  Don't get me wrong, the Vipers are great but it I feel like having a dedicated anti-ship fighter just makes sense. Perhaps it didn't exist in the show so they didn't bother, but it would have added to the game play with fighter/bomber management (protecting bombers, intercepting enemy bombers, etc).

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11076 on: April 14, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
I put it on my wishlist as soon as I heard about it, then forgot about it for a while.  I did eventually buy it but haven't played past the first mission.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11077 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
I bought Pillars of Eternity this weekend, and it's really, really good.
If you liked Baldurs Gate and/or Planescape: Torment, this is going to be right up your alley.

Great writing, classic infinity engine gameplay and holy shit, the fights can be really hard. They ain't kidding when they say "normal" is for fans of the old games mentioned above who are very familiar with the concept. I've played a ton of RPGs in that style, and I got my shit pushed in *hard* a couple of hours in on normal. It's doable - that was more of an "all right, minimal micro autoattack doesn't really work anymore I guess" reminder. But I still needed to reload about 5 times for that particular fight, and you're just used to breezing through with minial effort on normal nowadays.

It's refreshingly unafraid to be challenging, and it slaps several novels worth of text into your face with a "deal with it or not. But that's what this is" attitude. With a ton of branching, really different outcomes. And the dialogue options special attributes or abilities give you do NOT neccessarily give you the best outcome. Also, if you play a Paladin, you better play the alignment of the order you've picked in character creation. If you diverge too much, your powers lessen. Stuff like that. Love it.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11078 on: April 16, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
I learned from the Co-Optional podcast that Pillars of Eternity is based of a best selling book series.  I think its the number 2 selling book behind the bible in Germany.  Oddly enough I've never heard of it until the game came out.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11079 on: April 16, 2018, 08:30:02 PM »
I very much doubt that. I can tell you for a very certain fact the Germany part is not true (I suspect the best selling fantasy book of all time here should either be LoTR or Harry Potter, and none of those are anywhere near "second after the bible"), and as far as I know the whole point of the PoE setting was that it was a proprietary one Obsidian wrote themselves, so they wouldn't have to license anything.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11080 on: April 16, 2018, 09:52:25 PM »
@Feanor, are you maybe thinking of the Witcher series and Poland? I know the Witcher is a MAJOR book series out of Poland and is a great deal more popular in Europe in general then even over here.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11081 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:17 PM »
PoE is in my backlog...
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11082 on: April 17, 2018, 01:22:24 AM »
Mea culpa, its actually Pillars of the Earth, not Eternity! I was thinking of a different game entirely.

Apparently the book spawned a mini-series too staring Ian McShane back in 2010.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11083 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:19 AM »
This sounds like it came from the books pillers of the earth and it sequel that I can’t remember at the moment. I read them both and loved the story. I think it was about building the cathedral at Knightsbridge or something. Or maybe I’m going on about something else.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11084 on: April 17, 2018, 02:43:00 AM »
Didn't know there was a game for Pillars of the Earth. Saw the show and liked it.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11085 on: April 22, 2018, 04:26:09 AM »
Ugh, still rolling the boulder up the hill in HoI4 by trying to get France to beat Germany in 1936 only for it to roll back down and have to start again.  I can form the Little Entente sure, but after the war they wont let me take all the German lands (needed for an achievement).  Whats worse is the newest DLC not only gives the French Communist rebels more lands and takes more troops away from you, but also constantly throws bullshit political issues like draft dodgers, army mutinies, factory strikes, etc, that just kill your manpower, organization, or military production.  It also doesn't help that your military machine is short 20k guns at the beginning of a two front war (fighting the Germans along the Maginot and the French Commune in Brittany).  I can form the Entente but not call them in the war which will make Germany pull troops off the line to cover a potential Czech invasion but by then, If I didn't grab and hold enough German territory to increase my factory count, then I might as well call them in. See second sentence above!

This DLC just made it tougher.  Especially since the French Commune rebels are well stocked with weapons as soon as they spawn! MERDE!  :dry:
― Jake the Dog

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #11086 on: April 22, 2018, 05:50:59 PM »
God of War is very good.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11087 on: April 23, 2018, 02:25:53 AM »
Meh.  Played some of the first one and didn't much care for it.  The controls were awful, the story was bland, and Kratos is a purely one-dimensional "Raargh I'm so fucking angry raargh!" character.  Not even Christopher Judge is likely to get me interested in picking up a series at the fourth installment.

But the Best Friends are playing it, so I'm very interested in seeing how much lore Pat gets wrong  :icon_lol:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11088 on: April 23, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »
I only played the first one.  This game has absolutely nothing to do with that game really.  Its effectively a reboot.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11089 on: April 23, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
Liking Pillars of Eternity more and more.

The great thing is: I've been putting off playing this for quite a while, and now that I've finally got to it I find out the sequel will be out in a couple of weeks too.

My timing is impeccable!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11090 on: April 23, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
I haven’t played any Gods of War.

But even I have heard that this one is completely different to the others.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11091 on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
The first one was really cool in 2005 but I didn't feel compelled to play the other two. 

I wasn't going to buy this one either until those reviews started rolling in.  10, 10, 9.5, 10, 10... it was pretty remarkable.  And I have to say the game has lived up to the hype.  Its extremely good.  If you have a PS4, you should get this game.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11092 on: April 24, 2018, 01:19:00 AM »
I try to avoid over-hyped games.  They are usually very disappointing.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #11093 on: April 24, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »
Just ignore the hype and play games.

I might get God of War, though it will bug me how butchered the mythology is. I didn’t like the original ones but having watched videos and talked to mates who also didn’t like the previous ones this looks worth a try. I can get it effectively for $10 if I buy a Pro at the same time which I was going to do anyway.

Being playing a lot of Persona games recently, really enjoying them though I feel a little old.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #11094 on: April 25, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »
Liking Pillars of Eternity more and more.

The great thing is: I've been putting off playing this for quite a while, and now that I've finally got to it I find out the sequel will be out in a couple of weeks too.

My timing is impeccable!

Is that a standalone title, or are there DLC's for it? I was thinking about picking it up.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11095 on: April 25, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
There's an expansion for it (the white march part 1 & 2), but that's basically just an extra area unrelated to the main plot which you can play at any time of the campaign (preferably once you've made a few levels, mind), or not. Otherwise, it's standalone.

Get it. It's made by Obsidian (the former Black Isle guys). Fallout 2, Baldurs Gate... decent pedigree, and it shows!

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11096 on: April 26, 2018, 02:37:14 AM »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #11097 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:55 PM »
There's an expansion for it (the white march part 1 & 2), but that's basically just an extra area unrelated to the main plot which you can play at any time of the campaign (preferably once you've made a few levels, mind), or not. Otherwise, it's standalone.

Get it. It's made by Obsidian (the former Black Isle guys). Fallout 2, Baldurs Gate... decent pedigree, and it shows!

Black Isle used to be so awesome. They were always a guarantee of high quality games. Well, maybe except Lionheart.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #11098 on: April 26, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
Whats your guys thoughts about Prison Architect? Thinking about getting it, but I heard they are not working on it anymore. So its final version.

(or something like that)
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11099 on: April 26, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
I don't know anything about it being the final version but I enjoy Prison Architect. Usually every few months I boot it up and play around a bit. Not for very long before I move on to something else though. I know people who've spent hundreds of hours in it but I haven't done anything close to that.