home

Author Topic: Emergence of the Landsknecht look for the Empire  (Read 13131 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: Emergence of the Landsknecht look for the Empire
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »
If memory serves me right, when the Landsknechts were originally chartered by Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian von Habsburg, he specifically exempted them from existing sumptuary laws. That too would support the notion that the extravagant look was something the rank and file too engaged in.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
I just remembered this thread, when I came to think about the topic of WFB Pistoliers being a proving ground for young nobles aiming for a military career, and whether it makes sense.

Perhaps it does, when considering the operational use of light cavalry. Such troops would spend much of a campaign as outriders, scouting for and screening the main body of the army. That would more likely than not make them see constant low-intensity action against similar enemy troops. Action that, particularly, would serve to develop situational awareness. Which might make it a particularly efficient, even if dangerous, way to accumulate the kind of experience that would be useful for a military officer. A knight, though, not so much.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »
A great thread, bummer I didn't see it sooner, thanks for posting. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 10:28:21 AM »
Perhaps it does, when considering the operational use of light cavalry. Such troops would spend much of a campaign as outriders, scouting for and screening the main body of the army. That would more likely than not make them see constant low-intensity action against similar enemy troops. Action that, particularly, would serve to develop situational awareness. Which might make it a particularly efficient, even if dangerous, way to accumulate the kind of experience that would be useful for a military officer. A knight, though, not so much.

Toward my comments some months ago, I doubt all Pistol Korps troops are used in this manner. Certainly they would see some of this sort of action but I tend to think of official units to be more a collection of posh boys putting their time in, so to speak, and receiving preferential treatment on campaign as not to subject them to the more arduous or harmful tasks. The bulk of the real light cavalry work is thus left to the more 'professional' reiter type units drawn from poor nobles or wealthy common folks who are of course more disposable and remain light horsemen longer as they have little chance of even joining one of the less prestigious secular orders. 
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
Arduous tasks, you're probably right. Dangerous, though, I'm not so sure. There's noble kids and there's noble kids. The heir of an Elector Count probably wouldn't be put anywhere near actual danger. I'd think he wouldn't be in the Pistolkorps to begin with, but get an instant field command, and be about as secure as anyone in such a position can be, to make sure that he'd be gambling with the lives of his subordinates rather than his own.

The Nth son of a low-level baron, or any son of a landless noble, would be a different matter. In real-world military history, there was seldom any shortage of volunteers to command forlorn hopes. The prospect of rapid promotion made it worth it despite the danger. I could imagine Pistolkorps duty to have the same kind of risk-reward structure, though spread over multiple actions over a longer time. A prospect that might be attractive for those noble kids who are noble enough to qualify for being military officers but not noble enough to get preferential treatment over other nobles.