home

Author Topic: Work In Progress: "From Guerilla Warfare to Shock And Awe"  (Read 1935 times)

Offline LGH

• Members
Work In Progress: "From Guerilla Warfare to Shock And Awe"
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:57:52 AM »
Hello, fellow Generals of the Tactica Board.

I am a former general of the Empire, and led my Men into a undefeated run of several years against my "frienemies" (hence why I switched race for abit).

However, I came back to Empire a few days ago, and I wanted to craft a solid artillery battery, along with knights to clean up the pieces. Simple, right? elite hordes slaughtered me.

I tried four practice matches, after each loss (TK opponent tailored vs my list) I did some adjustments, ending up winning the last game (1/3). I were not impressed, but then theorycrafted myself into this list. First drawings are completed, but the list and tactica are not yet tested and I think I need some input, since I havent played empire for a while, and I'm abit rusty  :unsure:

If you want a detailed armylist, I can write it down laters :) It is a 2200pt armysize.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oop82dttq9xe2mw
(Mspaint are awesome, right? picture on site didnt work for me for some reason, so sorry to link to another site)

The point here is to get a "triangle" with pistoliers and huntsmen to not only block the road ahead, but baiting charges into flee reaction, forcing the opponent to scatter his units and formation, making it vulnerable to counter-charges / flankcharges by my flank heavy cav without being at risk themselves. This is the main idea and the most important thing in this tactic, forcing the opponent to divide his army

My main army will hold their ground while my scouts will create some headache for the enemy general, and bombard with artillery at range. My flank knights will slowly move forward, anticipating a failed charge on the pistoliers and get in desirable charges and positions.

Detachments (swordmen) are there to deny countercharge(s) and slow enemy units down.

This are really basic tactics, yet, since I've not been able to experience with this list and goal so far.

This a kinda a beta tactic that I'm keen to work with, to find the best units, characters, magiclore, msu etc to make it work perfectly.

Comments, pointers and  ::heretic:: are welcome :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:54:48 AM by LGH »

Offline Big Brother

• Members
Re: Work In Progress: "From Guerilla Warfare to Shock And Awe"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:42:35 AM »
I am kinda confused on how this is supposed to work. But here are a couple thoughts.

1.  It is unlikely you could scout the huntsmen where you indicated behind enemy lines as they won't be far enough away from enemy units (12 inch minimum I think)

2. What is the point of the huntsmen anyway?  They don't shoot or attack hard enough to be much of a threat the the main battle line.

Offline LGH

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:04:21 AM »
Hi there! I edited the main post, to clearify some things, I noticed not everything were well written :P

1) It is indeed 12" minimum.
It will be a one-trick pony if I actually get my huntsmen in that position, but my opponents tend to field 3-5 units (they are horde-friendly), which makes it easy to get behind enemy lines. I know that the huntsmen arent really going to do much, do look at it this way: you are advancing, and you have 10 archers in the rear. They might not dish out so many wounds, but I would guess they would be annoying as hell, and if left alone they can quickly rearcharge you, holding you for probably one round.

2) The reason I took 1 unit of 10, is exactly what I stated. They might look redicilous and the opponent ignore them, if so, I can get a free rear charge. Or he waste powerdices on them, or turn around a unit to face them (which I will try to stagger as much as I can)

However, I'm not going to test this before tomorrow (closed lists) so I will most likely get an image tomorrow of how I'd want to continue this build :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:23:19 AM by LGH »

Offline Joey_Boy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »
I don't really see to point in the Huntsmen in the position you have them. I tend to like archers with a musician and 2 detatchments of 5 archers running around and standing at angles so the enemy unit wont have any good overrun paths. Combine that with the pistoleers and you should have some solid tools for slowing the enemy down.