home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!  (Read 20292 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »
Tactical Decision Game 2.2:  Magic, Magic, Magic

***Note-  read the following thread to follow along with the Tactical Decision Game 2 storyline: 
--Tactical Decision Game 2.0:  The Beginning
--Tactical Decision Game 2.1:  Strategy & Deployment

-------------------------------------

Tactical Decision Games are a fun way to think through tough situations that Empire Generals face.  It is all about making tough decisions in tough situations… so the next time you face similar situations-  you are ready for them!  Check out Tactical Decision Game 1:  Empire versus the Ogrebus if you haven’t seen it yet to get an idea of what a TDG is all out. 

-------------------------------------

For the rest of the TDG, we are going to refer to the DE General as “Dreadlord.”

Empire gets the first turn!  I will work through one team and then the next. 

Team Blue Turn One

Team B fires up the boiler’s in both its STanks-  they each generate 4 Steam Points with no issues.

No charges.

STank 2 moves first on 3 dice…but only gets a total of 6!  It fails to make the hill.

STank 1 moves next and easily crests the hill, its cannon staring down the Hydra.

Otherwise, the Reiksguard reform and move to support the tanks against the Executioners and the Captasus lands on the edge of the hill to support the right flank.

The Archer diverters move up and the ‘Nilla Knights move back.

Team Green Turn One

The Steam Tank fires up the boiler and has no issues.

No charges.

The Steam Tank spends 1 Steam Point to face the Hydra and rumble 2” towards it.

Team Green forces on the west flank and center all align together, while the east flank Knights each move forward to put pressure on the Shades.

TDG 2.2 Decisions

TDG 2.2 Is going to be split up into 2 sets of decisions:  one, what Empire does with its Power Dice in its magic phase; and two, what Empire does with its Dispel Dice in Dreadlord’s magic phase.

Empire Magic Phase

Empire rolled a 3 and a 1 for Power Dice plus 1 channeled.  Seal of Grond gives the DE player +1 DD.

That gives you 5 Power Dice to Dreadlord’s 4 Dispel Dice.

What spells do you want to cast, in what order, with how many dice?  Why?

Team Blue Considerations

--Available spells:  Wyssan’s Wildform, Flock of Doom, Curse of Anraheir, Savage Beasts of Horrors

--Your Beast Mage is 34.5 inches away from the Warrior Block with the Death Mage.  You are safely out of Spirit Leech range for one turn but can still toss an unboosted 36” range Curse on the unit.

--The Executioners will require a boosted version of the Curse spell (up to 72”)

--A Flock of Doom MM against the Shades will require a boosted version of the spell.

Team Green Considerations

--Available spells:  Iceshard, Harmonic Convergeance, Urannon’s T-Bolt, Comet of Cassandra

--Nothing in 24” range, everything can be hit with 48” range.

Counting up the Votes

I will calculate the votes for spells like I did in the first TDG:

The spell listed first most often by Team members will be cast first.  The amount of dice used will also be whatever the majority list for that spell.
I will then search for the second most popular spell and dice amount and attempt to cast that next.
I will keep working through dice until your Team is out.

I may ask for another round of voting after a spell is cast if figuring out the next spell in line is difficult.

--------------------------------

Remember-  vote using your Team's Blue and Green colors!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:06:36 AM by Holy Hand Grenade »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
I think the only two viable spells are flock of doom and curs of anraheir.

To determine the target for the curse of Anraheir I would like to know how far the executioners are away from the stank on the hill if they are within 12 inches I would prefer them as target if they are 12,1 inches or more away the spear elves are my favourite target with 3 dice. If the executioners are too close they might deal some damage to the stank and the -1 to hit and also losing one third of its models on the charge might make him consider moving them at all. On the other hand even without the spell they would deal only around 3 wounds on average (hitting on 3+ wounding on 4+ and a 4+ armour save) In turn our other stank could drive into them and the reiksguard knights should also manage to make it into combat causing lots of wounds on the unit. So favourite target would be the spear elves.

Boosted flock of doom on the shades as second spell with 2 dice. Well Shades are a soft expensive target softening them up as soon as possible sounds like the obvious choice.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:29:56 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
Comet.  5 dice.  7" in front of the big Warriors unit.

Offline Grazhnakk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »

Looking at the grid, I'd say the executioners are well out of 12" range.

I agree with Fandir here:

2 dice Flock of Doom on the shades, followed by
3 dice curse on spearelves w/big sorceress.

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »

To determine the target for the curse of Anraheir I would like to know how far the executioners are away from the stank on the hill if they are within 12 inches I would prefer them as target if they are 12,1 inches or more away the spear elves are my favourite target with 3 dice. If the executioners are too close they might deal some damage to the stank and the -1 to hit and also losing one third of its models on the charge might make him consider moving them at all. On the other hand even without the spell they would deal only around 3 wounds on average (hitting on 3+ wounding on 4+ and a 4+ armour save) In turn our other stank could drive into them and the reiksguard knights should also manage to make it into combat causing lots of wounds on the unit. So favourite target would be the spear elves.

Boosted flock of doom on the shades as second spell with 2 dice. Well Shades are a soft expensive target softening them up as soon as possible sounds like the obvious choice.

+1 although i would suggest to up the distance req to more 13.1, elves having af movement of 5 it is not an unlikely charge distance.

Sendt fra min GT-I9000 med Tapatalk2

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »

To determine the target for the curse of Anraheir I would like to know how far the executioners are away from the stank on the hill if they are within 12 inches I would prefer them as target; if they are 12,1 inches or more away the spear elves are my favourite target with 3 dice.

+1 although i would suggest to up the distance req to more 13.1, elves having af movement of 5 it is not an unlikely charge distance.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
To make it clear I want to target the BIG unit of spears with the three characters inside hopefully preventing them from moving...but otherwise each of the characters too has a 1 in 3 chance to take a wound...makes more sense to target them instead of the small metal witch bunker.

Agreed with Windelov on the rest if they are within 13 inches lets fry the executioners with a boosted anraheir

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »
If our wizard has line of sight to the harpies hiding on the edge of the woods behind the shades, I would 3 dice Uranon's Tbolt D6 S6 hits and take the xtra D6 S4 for flyers to get rid of some chaff. Next I would 2 dice comet and place it 6" in front (toward ruins) of a spot half way between the EXE and Spr units.
Blessed be those who game.

Friar Metick

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »

Kind of agree.  Maybe 6" or 7" in front of the NW corner of the Spear unit (towards the corner or the ruins).  Maybe we get lucky and catch some other units on a big roll.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
I would like to know how far the executioners are away from the stank on the hill

The Executioners are 14.5 inches away from the nearest STank.  They would need a 10+ to get a successful charge.

Kind of agree.  Maybe 6" or 7" in front of the NW corner of the Spear unit (towards the corner or the ruins).  Maybe we get lucky and catch some other units on a big roll.

Boosted or non-boosted comet?

---------------------------------

I recommend everyone list boosted or unboosted for each spell they list.  However, if you don't label it, I am going to assume the unboosted version.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:12:20 PM by Holy Hand Grenade »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »

Sounds good.  I just want it as a deterrant for the moment.

I'm thinking unboosted.  That way we don't need irresistable force to get it off.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:18:55 PM »

Sounds good.  I just want it as a deterrant for the moment.

I'm thinking unboosted.  That way we don't need irresistable force to get it off.

This.  However we should wait for a few more votes..
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Empire - Ulric

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
First off should the Dark Elf Player not have 4 Dispel Dice (3 +1) because of the Seal of Grond?

As for Spell order I would start with an unboosted Comet on 3 Dice and place it just a few inches in front of the right most corner of the Execurtioner Horde if it goes off. He has to come forward, especially if he wants to start frying our knights with his metal mage so we want to make sure the comet will still hurt things once they move forward.

I honestly expect him to throw all 4 dice at that to dispel it so I'll follow up with what I really want to do............

which is 2 dice at a boosted (for Range, 10+ Cast) Ice Shard Blizzard targeting the Harpies hiding behind the Shades on the right. The goal is to kill a couple with the lore attribute (d6 str 4 hits to anything with fly hit with a spell from the lore of heavens) and force a panic check at -1 Leadership to make them panic off the table and hopefully also force the Shades to take a panic test if they are within 6" of the harpies

Cue evil laughter.........

I don't think Thunderbolt is an option this turn, it's a flat 24 inch range unless we boost it (Casting Cost up to 13) and I don't think we have enought dice to try both it and a comet. If we had 6 dice maybe, but throwing 2 dice at a 12+ casting cost is risky......
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:28:17 PM by Empire - Ulric »

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
Question..I do understand that curse of anraheir means open terrain as terrain too...meaning if the unit marches, charges, flees or pursues each model makes a dangerous terrain test and on a roll of 1 or 2 for the model it dies/ takes one wound. Right?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:33:53 PM by Fandir Nightshade »

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
Question..I do understand that curse of anraheir means open terrain as terrain too...meaning if the unit moves on a roll of 1 or 2 for every model it dies. Right?

That is the way I have seen it played. 

------------------------------------

I noticed this yesterday-  but the original terrain graph I posted with the range rings around the Ruins and Magic Circle was wrong.  The Circle's protection is 12" from the center and my circle was only 12" wide total.

Here is a better depiction of how far the protection goes:

I mention it now because the Shades are currently in that zone for Team Green and have MR3.

Also-  I forgot to mention that the Forest the Shades are in came out as a "normal" forest. 

So, 3 out of 4 Forests in your game have come out as normal.  What are the odds of that in the wacky Warhammer world?  Who on Team Green has the balls to recommend running the 'Nilla Knights through the last woods JUST to see what they are?   :icon_cool:

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 09:49:21 PM »
The 3 dice Comet/2 dice Shard works also.  Zif and I are worried about the west Harpies more than the east Harpies.  Need to find out the number of DE dispel dice.

Doh.  How nice would a 4+ ward save look on the STank next phase  :icon_sad:

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »
First off should the Dark Elf Player not have 4 Dispel Dice (3 +1) because of the Seal of Grond?

Yep, nice catch.  I will go up and modify the post. 

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
And yes ward saves for steam tanks is fantastic.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
I would like to know how far the executioners are away from the stank on the hill

The Executioners are 14.5 inches away from the nearest STank.  They would need a 10+ to get a successful charge.

That's the range I wanted to hear...I'm always conservative on charge ranges....10 on the dice is my "safe distance"
Based on that....

+1 to this
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
George Grazhnak...if you want to agree with me lets cast Anraheir on the BIG spear unit with the SMALL lvl 2 Death mage. Right now he is more dangerous for us as he can snipe our Magelord. Metal might hurt later on too but right now we want to get rid of the little one or hinder his movement at least.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 10:24:10 PM »
I agree with the big spear unit....we want to stop them moving too much to support the executioners....we want to isolate the 2 main blocks and deal with them one at a time.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »

+1 to this

+1 as well
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »

Yup, we derped that up but good by not noticing that the circle extends further out.  :biggriin:

Can the Harpies on the left reach the Hellblaster next turn? If they can they need to go and I agree with the 3d Comet/2d Bolt plan.

Otherwise, just throw all 5 dice at the (non-boosted) Comet, placed between the two blocks and deal with the Harpies later.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »

Yup, we derped that up but good by not noticing that the circle extends further out.  :biggriin:

Can the Harpies on the left reach the Hellblaster next turn? If they can they need to go and I agree with the 3d Comet/2d Bolt plan.

Otherwise, just throw all 5 dice at the (non-boosted) Comet, placed between the two blocks and deal with the Harpies later.

Yeah-  I am sure my name will be mud with Team Green if the STank takes significant damage this turn because I labeled the circle too small...  To my credit though, only Team Blue was excited about the circle; I can't remember a single Green post talking about the tank on the hill!   :wink:
I guess I will just have to owe you all a beer!    :::cheers:::

The Harpies max range is 22," they cannot reach the 'Blaster this turn. 

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
No worries HHG.  I think once we thought the Circle was 12" Diameter it was too small and blocked by Woods to worry about getting bodies or the STank into it's protective circle.  Those Harpies 22" should be targeted if we go Comet/Shard route.  However, if the Comet comes down and hits the Harpies, it also takes the Roiling Sky effect.  Those Harpies will set up near the ruins otherwise.