home

Author Topic: The Hobbit Movie  (Read 13059 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
The Hobbit Movie
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:25:02 AM »
I saw the poster realse for the movie "The Hobbit"
So since no-one (or at least me) doen't know whose in it I figured we could do a fun game of guessing who it could be.

So the question is who do you think will play Bilbo, thorin, and the human guy from dale whose name I have forgotten.  Most likely the same dude who played gandalf will play him again.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Hobbit Movie
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:41:16 AM »
You mean Bard?

Hopefully Elrond and Gandalf will be consistent with the LoTR movies.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Mostlyharmless

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:55:07 AM »
I'm looking forward to the elves acting playful and whimsical, though I have difficulty seeing Agent Elrond showing the least bit of mirth.

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
Ditto that, Mostlyharmless.

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
I've heard Sir McKellen is playing gandalf again, which deserves a big fat huzzah.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:26:38 AM »
I was just watching the 1977 cartoon version youtube the otherday.  A new release would be cool.  I didn't think they were going to make it though?
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:30:16 AM »
The last bit I read in the press said it was getting closer to happening, but still some way off pre production.

The movie company (forget their name - New Line?) and Pete Jackson have just started talking again after they fell out.

One of the other people hyped to helm the movie was Sam Reimi, which I would have like to have seen.

Bruce Campbell as Bard?

Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
I could see Bruce Campbell as Bard.  Instead of a bow he'd have a boom stick!  Somehow it just doesn't seem to fit in with Tolkien though. :unsure:

not together.

Offline Johan Willhelm

• Members
  • ~~~~~~~~~~
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »
They should have Christopher Lee as the voice of Smaug - he does love his Tolkien . . .
Rufas the Eccentric:
Some times there will be threads on controversial subjects . . . Reasonable people can disagree about these things . . . It is important to not make personal attacks or get drawn in to personal attacks.

Be it ethics or muppets. Rufas was a good man.

الني

Offline Lord Drahcir Selig

• Members
  • The age in my profile is based on Empire calendar.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
Midaski as Smaug and General Helstrom as Bard or Wyzer1 as Bilbo and Rufas as Golume.   :icon_wink:
p.i.o.m(aka Smaug).t :::cheers:::
Count not the darker hours that fall across life's way but rather like the sundial mark the brighter hours each day.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 05:28:48 PM »
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Mostlyharmless

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
It should be narrated by Morgan Freeman. :icon_biggrin:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »
Wyzer1 as Bilbo

and his mate McKnurgle as 'Bulbous'

PS: My Missus will play the dragon thanks
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
LOL Bruce Campbell as Bard would be the greatest thing EVA! :happy:

As far as bilbo I think Paul Giamatti would be perfect, he almost always plays a nervous guy or highly strung dude.  Elrond and Gandalf should stay the same so it looks like its part of the series.  But who should Thorin be? he is the other big character other than bilbo (at least as far as speaking parts)  I'm going with russel crowe, just because.  Or maybe kurt russel.  Voice of smaug should be Brad Garette, Robert from Everyone loves raymond.  Just a natural deep voice that could be scary.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
I don't see anyone too big getting a major role.  People in the trilogy had some movies under the belt beforehand, but none of them were really that big of names.  Elijah Wood had some stuff a long time ago, and Sean Astin had been in a lot of stuff, Ian McKellan is cool but not many people really knew of him, Viggo Mortenssen had minor roles, Liv Tyler's claim to fame was her dad, and the list goes on.  None of them had had really really big roles prior to this trilogy or at least around the same time (Elrond/Agent Smith).

To keep it the same they should somehow get the guy who originally played Bilbo and make him look younger.

not together.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 06:50:30 PM »
I don't see anyone too big getting a major role.  People in the trilogy had some movies under the belt beforehand, but none of them were really that big of names.  Elijah Wood had some stuff a long time ago, and Sean Astin had been in a lot of stuff, Ian McKellan is cool but not many people really knew of him, Viggo Mortenssen had minor roles, Liv Tyler's claim to fame was her dad, and the list goes on.  None of them had had really really big roles prior to this trilogy or at least around the same time (Elrond/Agent Smith).

To keep it the same they should somehow get the guy who originally played Bilbo and make him look younger.

All true however bruce campbell's evil dead movies are on the B circuit and has never really stared in a big hollywood movie.  So him as bard could still be viable.  However I think they will probably pick up some minor guy from brave heart like steven the irishman.

I have a feeling they are going to pull a lucas and cut the new bilbo in the begginging scene of him finding the ring in FoTR.
― Jake the Dog

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 06:58:12 PM »
Oh definitely, Bruce Campbell is one of those 'cult' movie stars that has got a large fan base but just hasn't quite reached that cusp, for some reason.  I think his status would work, I don't know if he himself would though.  Everyone would be like, 'IT's ASH...WHERE'S HIS BOOM STICK???'  You know what I mean?  It would be incredibly awesome, though my wife would probably immediately dislike the movie. :dry:

They could cut Bilbo out, but it would have to be done in multiple spots.  There's the part in the middle of FotR where they meet up in Rivendell, and then in RotK, at the end, where they again meet in Rivendell.  Nothing that couldn't be undone, but I think that lacks so much class.  And shame on Lucas for doing it and setting a horrid precedent.

not together.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
Nah i just meant that one scene were young bilbo finds the ring and you hear golum screech "precious!" then he runs off camera.  Could still keep old bilbo the same.

Okay lets say Bruce isn't bard, who else could be bard?  Still think steven the crazy irishman would be a good canidate.
 :happy:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 07:21:59 PM »
Bruce Willis as the bard. 'Nuff said.
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
Oh, I get what you mean, FFH.  I think Steven from Braveheart would do good in that part as well.  Maybe we should send a letter?

not together.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 07:32:58 PM »
Bruce Willis as the bard. 'Nuff said.

Shouting "yippi-ka-yey" before shooting the black arrow?

That could be an option. Not likely, but still.

I would agree on Mr. Lee as the voice of Smaug, it fits nicely.

I would love to see Christopher Walken as Thorin...:
"He'd be damned if any goblins gonna put their greasy green hands on his birthright, so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his beard. Five long years, he wore this map up his beard. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the map. I hid this uncomfortable piece of parchment up my beard for two years."

etc.

Offline lonearcher

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 07:45:57 PM »
OMG, I think I’m going a little koo-koo from pain pills. (I just got back from the dentist – had a wisdom tooth yanked  :icon_eek:)

But Christopher Walken could do the whole movie! With his nasaly voice and his patented talking with his hands and twitching his shoulder. I’d be on the floor cracking!

I think I need more pain pills.

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat; it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”-perfect!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 07:49:51 PM by lonearcher »

Offline Rosencrantz

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »
If you changed any of the Hobbit, story wise it really would be a sacrilage (I'm sure I mispelled that). The Lord of the Rings is barely suited to literature (Don't get me wrong, I love those books as much as the most rabit Star Wars fan loves that, but it's obvious Tolkien didn't write them to sell) and so needs tweaking for a movie, but The Hobbit has the straightforward no nonsense story that only a childrens book can have.

Anyway, I'd have as many actors from the film Lord of the Rings as possible. Ian whatsisname, I forget needn't be much younger than as he is portrayed in the Shire - he was fifty when he went "There and Back Again" as it were. Smaug will be interesting to see, I always imagine him as a great golden red dragon (the illustration on the front of my first copy of The Hobbit as of an ethereal Bilbo walking into Smaug's lair, damn good it was too, so it stuck)

Rosencrantz  :mellow:
"I'faith, Fortune's private parts we"

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 08:44:08 PM »
Brian Blessed (Prince Vultan in the 80's Flash Gordon movie) for Thorin.

He's loud, has presence, and can do bombastic

Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 08:51:06 PM »
Gah! :ph34r: My eyes!!!

(he's perfect!)
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star