home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296428 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Deadcember!)
« Reply #825 on: December 27, 2016, 04:22:21 AM »
Well, they're very photogenic...

:-D

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #826 on: December 27, 2016, 04:50:58 AM »
What a happy merry x'mas present/s.  I must obtain a set for myself now.  I cannot wait to see how you will paint and base them.  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #827 on: December 28, 2016, 08:48:40 PM »
Deadcember '16 is crawling to its conclusion...

Managed to sneak in a little more painting time last night and finished (more or less -might need a touch-up or two) the three skeleton heroes: Ennio Mordini, Renzo Avanti, and Richter Kreugar.

Also rebased this old figure, painted ages ago, to match my current stuff.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #828 on: January 01, 2017, 11:02:26 PM »
Year end hobby 2016 review & 2017 preview on my blog:

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/01/2016-review.html

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2017, 12:38:59 AM »
Great review/preview of 2016 2017.  Considering some of the obstacles you were up against I think you did a magnificent job with hobby handling / real life adventures. I remember your giant festival - a lot of fun.  Best to you this year !
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2017, 03:42:52 AM »
Thank you! I think I may dedicate April to giants again this year.  :mrgreen:

Trailing a little behind the actual Deadcember is the Lord of the Feast, a great Warmahordes mini that I thought would look good with my Undeadish.

At some point (later in the year?) I may return to painting some more of the Undeadish rank & file, critters, and characters that I still have waiting. I really wanted to get this guy done in Deadcember, though.

I also didn't get to the oldschool wight cavalry & hero that I had wanted to paint, but maybe I will do them soon too?

I also put some flock and a magnet on the base of the figure I got from the Oldhammer in the New World trade. Will have to get a shot of him in use/context at some point!

My desk situation wasn't working out, unfortunately. So I've fled to the only other space available, a table in the corner of the basement. Not sure if this will work out any better, but it's worth a shot. Still getting set up, but I took a break to paint the Lord of the Feast, above. I miss my old attic.  :-(

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
ouch, that basement looks a bit grim. you will not get distracted by birds or bees or... day light. but, maybe that means we get to see even more of these nicely painted miniatures!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2017, 01:05:17 PM »
Not as nice as your attic of course, but still a little workspace to call your own. Think positive! :)

Also, your basement is much tidier than my room I work in, which probably says a lot about me...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
That's the new workshop of a genius ! Can't wait for some new creations. I love that crow on the dudes arm 👻
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
Good stuff as always! I like the dead empire guy.

Any chance of getting a group shot of your undead?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #835 on: February 05, 2017, 05:38:51 AM »
Not much in the way of painting lately. Most of the little time I've had has been put into some minis and a couple of toys that other people are still waiting on. I did sneak in one thing for myself, I put the final paint a dwarf who was over half painted for ages. A bit rushed looking, though, which is a shame since it's one of my converted classic models. I wanted some doppledwarfs to supplement the usual spear, handgun & artillery. Embarrassingly, I started these before the White Knight figures (which I need to get my hands on) were available -- if that's any indication of how slow the progress has been. The Marauder landsknecht dwarfs fall into an odd category of miniatures that I love, but hate to paint.

At any rate, here he is with some of the other conversions I've previously painted.

I'm still thinking about that Rogue Trader/sci-fi misanthropic pirate robot crew. I picked up a few angry/murderous looking robots from Effin Cool Miniatures today.

Speaking of Effin Cool minis, I also got a halfling for scale comparison. From left to right it's:

Citadel, Effin Cool, Westfalia, Marauder, Goblin Factory, Grenadier, a random goose. The base on the Effin Cool mini doesn't have the magnetic layer, so he will end up a little taller. A good match, in terms of size & style, for the Citadel, Goblin Factory, and Grenadier. Westfalia are a little taller with more natural proportions, and the Marauder halflings remain one of the two tiny ranges I've got (along with some of the really old Ral Partha -- which I've stripped and re-primed. So maybe I'll paint at least one of those up soon sometime in the next few years.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been busy with my new job, both in the office, and travelling to distant lands...

I was also happy that when I recently got back into town, we finally had a decent snow and I finally got to build an overdue first snowman with my daughter. We've been waiting for a decent snow for *years*. It was actually a little wet because it had warmed up a bit during the day, but we managed to get it all together. :)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #836 on: February 05, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
Oh, snowman! Even though we live in Finland, we haven't yet built a snowman this year. A shame, since there have been three snows in the south already.

I put the final paint a dwarf who was over half painted for ages. A bit rushed looking, though, which is a shame since it's one of my converted classic models. -- --

What is the dwarf supposed to wear? His jacket, is it a wool slipover? The conversion is ace!  :-)

You mentioned Ral Partha Halflings. Do you mean those really old, 1979-1982? They're totally tiny! But also quite nice sculpts. I have hard time deciding what to do with those. They're about 3-year olds in 28mm...

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Dwarf, Halfling, Bots, Life...)
« Reply #837 on: February 05, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
I really like the dwarf zweihander conversion - I have a few of the original marauder dwarfs that are slightly damaged and could be reborn like that.

Going back to your mention of Kings of War in November -what list are you using with your Marienburgers.

I have had a couple of games with the League of Rhordia - basically as an excuse to use halflings, but the human armies are very difficult to work the old Imperial Ogres into as there don't seem to be Large Infantry listings. ( I have added some of the Westfalia ones to my collection recently and they work quite well).

I suppose I might need to try some form of alliance, but then you probably need more than the single unit or two I want to take.

I suppose the idea of the small halflings combining with large Ogres, and leaving out the middle size humans is possibly entertaining. :engel:

The Foundry/Warmonger Ogres or Great Orcs vary a bit in size and work on 40mm bases, but are best kept separate from the old Marauder ones.

If I read correctly you have 6 of each sort (Imperial and Warmonger), so do you run them in 3s or 4s ?

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #838 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »
I really like the dwarf zweihander conversion - I have a few of the original marauder dwarfs that are slightly damaged and could be reborn like that.

I feel a little blasphemous, especially with the Bugman's champion. They were in excellent condition. I just chopped them up.

Going back to your mention of Kings of War in November -what list are you using with your Marienburgers.

I have had a couple of games with the League of Rhordia - basically as an excuse to use halflings, but the human armies are very difficult to work the old Imperial Ogres into as there don't seem to be Large Infantry listings. ( I have added some of the Westfalia ones to my collection recently and they work quite well).

I suppose I might need to try some form of alliance, but then you probably need more than the single unit or two I want to take.

I suppose the idea of the small halflings combining with large Ogres, and leaving out the middle size humans is possibly entertaining. :engel:

My only experience (those two games in Nov.) was with Kingdoms of Men. I used all humans. I'm going to try out the Rhordia list next time. I will have to look at the rules again, but I was considering floating between those two lists as my mood dictated, and maybe adding in some allied units of ogres, dwarfs, or whatever. Really, if allies are open, I suppose it's also OK to use the KoM list with halfling allies from Rhordia.

If I read correctly you have 6 of each sort (Imperial and Warmonger), so do you run them in 3s or 4s ?

I haven't yet. But when playing regular/open games, I'll just stick with the normal unit sizes. So the ogres will go in units of 3 or 6.

When I started thinking about solo games & such a couple years ago now (pre-KoW for me) I was looking at several other games (Hail Caesar, Legions of Battle, etc.) using basic unit sizes of 16 regular infantry or 4 big guys, with unusually small or large units scaled up or down from that standard. When I started getting interested in KoW I was thinking about using that as the basis for my own KoW solo games or games I host. So I would scale units down from 10 to 8, from 20 to 16, etc. They would lose 20mm of frontage, which would also help make better use of my 4'x6'-8" table. (I prefer larger tables
.) I hadn't really worked out how to handle the big guys, though. Using just 2 seems lame, even in an abstracted game. But its not like 3 is much better. So I was leaning towards "hordes" of 4 (down from the standard 6) but had also thought about sticking with the standard KoW sizes of 3/6/12 since it's all sort of arbitrary anyway and my alternate "footprint" for regular infantry isn't that far off.

Oh, snowman! Even though we live in Finland, we haven't yet built a snowman this year. A shame, since there have been three snows in the south already.

Out weather here has been strange the past few years. Additionally, we moved from one side of town (Cleveland, Ohio) to the other a few years ago, which actually has a major effect on snow due to the local geography. So we have rarely had much snow since my daughter was born. She's 5 and this year has been the first that we've been able to play in the snow.

What is the dwarf supposed to wear? His jacket, is it a wool slipover? The conversion is ace!  :-)

You mentioned Ral Partha Halflings. Do you mean those really old, 1979-1982? They're totally tiny! But also quite nice sculpts. I have hard time deciding what to do with those. They're about 3-year olds in 28mm...

I've painted my Empire stuff with the idea of buff jacket. It's a bit different than the historical use, but I wanted to break up the colors, add a certain amount of uniformity to my troops (in spite of the usual variety of colors, they almost all have buff jackets (if present), black caps, and white feathers,) and just liked the idea of a buff jacket even if that was from a little later period in the real world. I painted them a little darker, but I was trying to keep those "uniform" colors a little more neutral.

Below is one of the Ral Partha figures compared to some of the others. Looking at them lined up like that, I guess that it's not as much the height that stands out, it's the leaner proportions. That seemed like the trend with old Ral Partha stuff -- more natural proportions. Back when my friends and I first got into WFB (3rd ed.) one guy bought a bunch of the Ral Partha Condottieri for use in his Empire army (ahead of his time -- before Citadel switched Empire to the puff & slash!) but in spite of the beautiful sculpting, they looked like a completely different scale from the bulky Citadel & Grenadier stuff everyone else was using.

I still have a few RP halfling cavalry too. Even if I feel OK using the infantry, the cavalry are so tiny they will look strange. Like faeries riding horses the size of small dogs.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:15:22 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #839 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:29 AM »
I don't have the patience to wait for the bases. I've been scraping together time when I can (mostly at ridiculous hours of the night, when I should be sleeping -- like now) to finish a few of the little people. I'll post better pics once the bases are done and I look them over for final touch up's when I'm more awake...

More details at... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/02/short-on-patience-big-on-lead.html

Also... new giant to paint for my second annual Giant Month.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #840 on: February 11, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
I know that dwarf...  :-P

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #841 on: February 11, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
Those little people are looking great and that giant seems to have a serene look to him - 'yes I'm going to knock your block off but I shall contemplate that particular action'
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #842 on: February 11, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »
Yay! I've got that Giant in my collection, he's a beaut, and quite a big one for a Ral Partha model of that vintage. "Paint all the Giants" remains on my to do list, as does "Paint all the Dragons" and "Paint all the 1983-4 Pre Slotta C Series Citadel Minis with their names cast on to the bases" and... never mind.

The little guys look nice, bright and crisp as always. I'd point out that I think the halfling is holding his polearm strangely (for my money, it's a fauchard type weapon with the cutting edge on the inside of the curve) but most people wouldn't care and half the ones who do will disagree with me... ;)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #843 on: February 11, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
I liked seeing the Effin Halfling, and the paint job on him is cool! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #844 on: February 12, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
I just paint them, I don't sculpt them. ;) (Well, only occasionally sculpt them...) But that's good to know. Maybe he's about to give a taller opponent a shot to the groin with it?  :ph34r:

From left to right: Two previously painted Marauder dwarfs with spear, one freshly painted White Knight dwarf with spear (now available at TAG), one freshly painted Marauder dwarf with great sword, and one freshly painted, converted Marauder dwarf (swapped spear with greatsword.)

Also, the finished hobbit from Effin Cool, along with my first use of some new tufts from Shadow's Edge Miniatures.

I also primed & base coated 15 of the Westfalia halflings yesterday!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Dwarfs, Halflings...)
« Reply #845 on: February 13, 2017, 05:39:48 AM »
I've started painting up some Westfalia hobbits. 16 figures. 13 crossbow, 1 gunner, and the wizard & apprentice. I think I've hit a turning point in my painting "career": I don't think I can paint the eyes.

I mean, I *can*. And I may paint the apprentice's eyes. But for most of the rank & file they're just too damn small. That's a good thing, in terms of the sculpting proportion & scale. Beautiful figures. But I don't generally paint eyes on 15mm figures, and although these are still a bit bigger than that, I don't think I'm willing to invest the time in it. My own, actual, functioning human eyes are aging. I'm in my mid 40s and I've recently been experiencing some changes in my eyesight (and general eye health, which I won't go into) and I've been trying to just take it as part of the natural aging process and not freak out too much. I did paint the eyes on the sample figures I got from Westfalia last year. I can actually see the eyes on these hobbits just fine, and my hands are still steady enough to do it. But as my time shrinks and there is some extra focus (haha) required to do these details well, I think I'm going to pass on painting eyes on some 25/28mm figures for the first time in my life. I know a lot of people don't bother, even on the human sized figures. And I understand and appreciate the logic behind that, especially in the greater context of what we see at various sizes & perspectives, and the representation of that in any art form.  But I've always prided myself on doing a decent job with eyes, and always painted them. Until now.

I've run into a bit of a paint problem. There are a few off-the-shelf paint colors that I can't live without. I sometimes get a bit OCD about this, and go on epic quests or start hording paints in order to stay supplied One is a sort of dark burnt sienna color whose use evolved from an old Poly S color, which I then found a good equivalent in Ral Parha's (I think) Minotaur Fur Brown, briefly I may have used a Citadel color, but then switched to a Vallejo Game Color equivalent. I can't read the label of the almost empty bottle in front of me, but looking online maybe it's Pestilent Brown? Sort of frustrating, because I need more. I am literally stretching the last bits of paint & pigment as far as I can. But I don't really have any good options (that I am aware of) for buying Vallejo locally. I've been trying to find more accessible alternatives but that has not worked out. I now have an Imperial ton of brown paints of various shades and qualities. I'm on the verge of just trying to mix my own. Like I said, it's sort of like a burnt sienna... but not quite. It's darker, but still retains that subtle reddish color that gives it a great touch of warmth.

I've also been thinking about my plans for the Year of Gaming (aka my mid-life crisis, gaming style, in 2021 ;) ) and have some thoughts. Our new house isn't really a great space for gaming. But one of the trade offs we made with the small house, is a larger yard than our previous homes. And our garage is pretty clean and has, thus far, been unused (by us) for cars. So maybe I could try inviting some friends over for some Garagehammer in the summer. Long day of gaming, cook out on the grill, etc. My table tops are already stored in the garage rafters at the moment. I'm even tempted to make one or two more in order to accommodate larger games. If they're going to be out there, I may as well take advantage of the space, right? Especially if I want to try some all-day gaming. So... just something else I'm thinking about while hoping to get back to some sort of gaming ASAP.

Oh, the drama of a dedicated lifetime miniatures painter. ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:55:58 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #846 on: February 13, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
I don't paint the eyes on my rank and file troops, only on character models or skirmish models. Many of my older (Empire) models have terrible eyes that I need to repaint - frequently a model looks worse with bad eyes than with no eyes painted. I can easily spend 1-2 hours painting and repainting eyes on a character model, who really has that time? And yes, the eyestrain is a factor. So leave them. See how it feels, You can always go back and paint them in later if it really bothers you.  :icon_eek:

I stockpiled Foundation paints when they were withdrawn from sale, but I know they won't last forever. It's a problem. I have ended up hand-mixing the turquoise for my Space Marine army because new pots of paint don't match the 25 year old pot I painted the first few units with. Definitely a lesson to learn there... chances are the dregs of the brown you are using won't look exactly like a new one anyway, sorry! :(

Garagehammer sounds wonderful, you need to do that just so I can be jealous of you!  :eusa_clap:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #847 on: February 13, 2017, 07:16:20 PM »
Yep, my eyes aren't what they once were, understand what you're going through, although my painting skills seem less than yours anyway.

I don't even paint 28mm without a magnifying lamp anymore.  When I go to the homes of my different nephews to spend time painting with them, I tote my magnifying lamp with me.  I can't stand what my figures look like when painting without it, and it is much harder to paint the figures without the bright light and magnification combo.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #848 on: February 14, 2017, 05:22:10 AM »
So leave them. See how it feels, You can always go back and paint them in later if it really bothers you.

That's the plan. To be honest, they look pretty good. So I'm OK with it. I think I was just mentioning it because it's such a change from my old attitude. But I've been changing a lot of things up lately anyway. I'm all about the glazes and washes after being a dedicated layering & blending painter, etc. I think that I've been more open to trying new techniques, styles, etc. lately.

I stockpiled Foundation paints when they were withdrawn from sale, but I know they won't last forever.

I've still got two and a half more bottles of the old bolter shell bottle (the good ones, not the ones that dry out) Flesh Wash. WHen it went OOP, I bought up every bottle I could find because I had already been disapporinted when they switched from the old round bottle Flesh Wash (which I still think was better.) But in a weird twist of fate, I have found that I actually prefer the current Reikland Flesh wash.

On the topic of washes (and experimenting, etc.) I think I posted this months ago, but I've been playing around with making my own washes anyway, with acrylic inks, matte medium, etc. The GW washes are still nice to use, right out of the bottle though.

So leave them. See how it feels, You can always go back and paint them in later if it really bothers you.

I stockpiled Foundation paints when they were withdrawn from sale, but I know they won't last forever. It's a problem. I have ended up hand-mixing the turquoise for my Space Marine army because new pots of paint don't match the 25 year old pot I painted the first few units with. Definitely a lesson to learn there... chances are the dregs of the brown you are using won't look exactly like a new one anyway, sorry! :(

Garagehammer sounds wonderful, you need to do that just so I can be jealous of you!  :eusa_clap:

Jealous? I though you're crashing my Year of Gaming in 2021. I'm going to hold you to that. :wink:

In fact, I should try to make a serious attempt to meet & game with more forum folk. It was great meeting some "old online friends" that I had never actually met in person at the Oldhammer USA Day last year. Maybe I can try hitting up some of the HMGS East & HMGS Great Lakes conventions, Origins, etc. again in the next few years. (GP, you go to some of those lately, right?)

I don't even paint 28mm without a magnifying lamp anymore.  When I go to the homes of my different nephews to spend time painting with them, I tote my magnifying lamp with me.  I can't stand what my figures look like when painting without it, and it is much harder to paint the figures without the bright light and magnification combo.

I've tried magnifiers before, but have never cared for them. But I do think that brighter light has become more important. I've got a dual tube fluorescent that usually hovers just a few inches above whatever I'm working on anymore, and keep task lights at all of my work surfaces.

I wear glasses and have been near sighted since a teen. But I always wore my glasses while painting. For the past year or so, I have to take them off, though. I can still see very well close-up. I just need the lenses off and the figure about 8-10" away from my eyes.

We need an old man Imperial emoji here.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #849 on: February 14, 2017, 05:56:30 AM »
For example, I should really start running some games at Con on the Cob and then trying to pressure people in to coming out and playing. http://cononthecob.com/

:biggriin: