home

Author Topic: empire dice  (Read 15922 times)

Offline wardenmunger

• Members
Re: empire dice
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »
Surely it's only illegal to take a copy of one of their twin tailed comets and produce goods with that logo. I'd struggle to believe a band couldn't put an image of a twin tailed comet on an album cover just because GW have a TM. Surely if you designed your own twin tailed comet it would be fine.
Listen in to one of the biggest podcasts in the UK - The Black Sun Podcast - over 18's only !

Follow me on twitter - @wardenmunger

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
Surely it's only illegal to take a copy of one of their twin tailed comets and produce goods with that logo. I'd struggle to believe a band couldn't put an image of a twin tailed comet on an album cover just because GW have a TM. Surely if you designed your own twin tailed comet it would be fine.
Probably not legal.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
So to be clear :

Anything copyrighted by GW cannot be sold through this site. Even if you're not making a profit. What you do privately is up to you.

Well if I can't have twin-tailed comets on my dice, I'm taking all my toys and going home!  :x
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
This site has always stayed on the safe side of GW copyright, and will continue to do so.

Again, what you all do PRIVATELY is beyond our control and entirely up to you.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline DivineVisitor

• Members
  • Hammer Time
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

Agreed, generic images such as that can't possibly be covered, likewise for example the Ultramarine symbol, the Black Templar Symbol, even the Hammer of Sigmar is designed like many historical Warhammers, these kind of images have been around for hundreds of years.

It's likely that its a specific image that is copyrighted, for example if you were to lift this comet symbol from the life of sigmar book (see below) it would possibly breach copyright, but drawing your own twin tailed comet can no more breach copyright than drawing your own symbol of the Sun.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:58:56 PM by DivineVisitor »

Offline Snide61

• Members
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Lustria order is 8-10 weeks for delivery.  I am going to work on doing something on my own, completely unaffiliated with this forum so that I can make sure to have my dice by Adepticon.  If anyone is interested PM me.  I will wait a week or two before ordering.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 06:47:26 PM »
My suggestion for colours would be white/black pips all round, and the solid colours for the provinces;

Red
Yellow
Blue
Green
White

That way, people could mix these colours to get the province they wanted.  For example, as a Talabecland fan, I could get the red and yellow.  Simple.  Reikland, get the red and white.  etc....

As for organizing this privately, any volunteers?  I am sure there would be interest.
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
I think twin-tailed comets exist IRL. As far as I know, companies can't copyright actual celestial phenomenons yet.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline DivineVisitor

• Members
  • Hammer Time
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »
I think twin-tailed comets exist IRL. As far as I know, companies can't copyright actual celestial phenomenons yet.

Here's a few.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:00:29 PM by DivineVisitor »

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
Careful with that shit, GW's lawyers might confiscate your HDD.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
As far as I know, companies can't copyright actual celestial phenomenons yet.
No, but they can copyright the twin-tailed comet design that was shown upthread.

I sent GW an email asking about obtaining a license for a limited run of dice.  We'll see what they say.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
They will either not respond or have one of the friendly lawyers we spoke too respond!

Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:12 PM »
They will either not respond or have one of the friendly lawyers we spoke too respond!
Yes, I expect one of those two scenarios.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
I say just edit the symbol a bit. It's not impossible to come up with a twin-tailed comet that evokes the Empire without actually looking like something GW produces.

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »
I say just edit the symbol a bit. It's not impossible to come up with a twin-tailed comet that evokes the Empire without actually looking like something GW produces.
+1

The twin tailed comet is not an original thought, strictly GW.  Just modify the art a bit, bam, done.

Offline DivineVisitor

• Members
  • Hammer Time
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 02:20:32 AM »
+1

The twin tailed comet is not an original thought, strictly GW.  Just modify the art a bit, bam, done.

Which has already been done, so golden?

Offline Snide61

• Members
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
As for organizing this privately, any volunteers?  I am sure there would be interest.

That'd be me.  Already talking to Chessex.  They are low on stock right now and won't be restocked til early Jan.   PM me.

Offline Snide61

• Members
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
Well we don't have to worry about using the comet.  I sent it to Chessex and they said they have already been contacted by GW with a list of images they are not allowed to use.  So back to the drawing board.

Offline Snide61

• Members
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »
How about this idea?

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
Nice! I like that one a lot. :)

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
How about this idea?

Replace the skull with a hammer.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »
How about this idea?

Oh crap, now we have to worry about Disney coming after us for infringing on the Ghost Rider IP...... ::heretic::

Ducks and runs for cover...
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2012, 04:13:40 AM »
I want a dice boot!

Offline pistolpadds

• Members
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
thats pretty cool ilike it.

Offline DivineVisitor

• Members
  • Hammer Time
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
Well we don't have to worry about using the comet.  I sent it to Chessex and they said they have already been contacted by GW with a list of images they are not allowed to use.  So back to the drawing board.

Would love to see this list of images. Reckon Chessex would be so kind as to forward it to us? :happy:

I take it calling it a twin tailed sun or solar flare wouldn't get around the issue? :biggriin:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:13:29 PM by DivineVisitor »