home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 87567 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #550 on: October 17, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »
I'm really waiting for the season 3 of Daredevil. The previous two were very solid and fun.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #551 on: October 29, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
I watched Hilda with my kids and we all loved it, definitely gonna get some of the comics.

I just found out today that Hilda is voiced by Lyanna Mormont!

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2018, 01:23:13 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of "Goblin Slayer" on imgur and the memes got me interested. I signed up for crunchy roll (with ads) and watched the first 2 episodes. I was prepared for the brutality of the first episode (there's a rape scene and anytime a kidnapped girl is with a goblin rape is implied) thanks to the fair warnings from imgur. Its just straight up brutal violent too. I do find it interesting that the concept of the story comes from MMOs where an inexperienced party pulls too many adds and it destroys the party. The same sort of thing happens. Its also interesting just how many goblin extermination jobs there are and yet all the experienced adventures avoid goblin jobs since they see its beneath them. The only ones going after the goblins are the rookies (that usually end up dead or worse) and goblin slayer. Since no one is taking the goblin jobs, the goblins are becoming a real problem that no one wants to deal with. He's looked down on by the other veterans as his gear looks dirty and crappy but the first episode illustrates that its all practical and perfect for goblin slaying and fighting in tight caves. Goblin Slayer doesn't care though. He just wants to kill goblins. He's essentially DOOM guy but in a fantasy setting. Never removing his armor let alone helmet. Even his introduction moment has doom like music.  I'm only on episode 2 but from the memes on imgur I know that he also attracts a harem of women, but its a harem subversion (so far) as he's not interested or flustered by the women. He's only concerned about killing goblins and finding new ways to kill goblins. Also fair warning there is a bit of TnA to titillate viewers. Its very pandering at times, especially with Goblin Slayer's childhood friend that he stays with. Expect physics defying bounces. :roll:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #553 on: November 25, 2018, 04:17:53 AM »
Watching more goblin slayer.  It looks like Goblin Slayer was trained by Bilbo Baggins.  :eusa_clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnFgqRaGR8

The next episode is called "There and Back Again" I am willing to bet we'll see more memories regarding the Burglar of Bag End

Admittedly he looks a bit goblin or rat like, but he's a halfling thief.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #554 on: December 07, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
Knight-fall on Netflix pretty cool.. a little history, rumor, and fiction, with a hint of the supernatural good so far.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #555 on: December 10, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
Just finished last season of Shetland.  Man, if you like the English small town murder industry mystery dramas, this is a great show for you.

My love of the English small town murder mysteries has left me reluctant to visit again.  Chances are nearly 100% I would be the victim OR discoverer of a dead body if I ever go to a village ever again.

Although, those are the same odds I would be the victim of a serial killer in the US.  If TV drama is anything to go by, everyone is either a Serial Killer, a victim being stalked, a victim who survived or a emotionally abused Special Victim Crime Special Scene Investigator Consultant Special Unit officer hunting them down.  Oh, or a retired SVCSSICSO who is embittered/hunted/become a hunter/blackmailed.  Really don't like those odds.

I will stay in Canada.  Although the number of Moose attacks is on the increase.

Anyways, Shetland, Good, Well Acted, Not going to Visit.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #556 on: December 11, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »
Just finished last season of Shetland.  Man, if you like the English small town murder industry mystery dramas, this is a great show for you.

My love of the English small town murder mysteries has left me reluctant to visit again.  Chances are nearly 100% I would be the victim OR discoverer of a dead body if I ever go to a village ever again.

Although, those are the same odds I would be the victim of a serial killer in the US.  If TV drama is anything to go by, everyone is either a Serial Killer, a victim being stalked, a victim who survived or a emotionally abused Special Victim Crime Special Scene Investigator Consultant Special Unit officer hunting them down.  Oh, or a retired SVCSSICSO who is embittered/hunted/become a hunter/blackmailed.  Really don't like those odds.

I will stay in Canada.  Although the number of Moose attacks is on the increase.

Anyways, Shetland, Good, Well Acted, Not going to Visit.

triggered
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #557 on: January 18, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
Ozark or should I say Breaking Bad 2.0

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #558 on: January 18, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
I've enjoyed "Shetland", very good.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #559 on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »
Just watched the south park episode where Butters is a native hawaiian. It was spectacular!  :eusa_clap:

― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #560 on: January 24, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
Doing our yearly binge of DC comic book shows. Doing the Crisis on Earth-X currently.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #561 on: January 25, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »
My new place comes with basic cable. I finally saw the Orville last night. It was really good and very star trekky, especially the ending.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »
has anyone watched  Project Blue book?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #563 on: January 28, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
good place season 3- great, as usual.

Sexual education- pretty enjoyable teen drama, weird aesthetic as it was set ostensibly in the UK but extremely american style.

Cuckoo and Killing Eve up next
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #564 on: January 28, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
good place season 3- great, as usual.

Yep!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2019, 03:23:41 AM »
Holy shit.   :Ohmy:

I just watched another episode of the Orville and the plot was similar and executed better than a particular TNG episode. A crew member develops feelings for the Robot crew member and they start a relationship. It felt so...good. It was done better than the Data's girlfriend episode. It was just wonderful and sparked feelings and wonder like when I was a kid watching TNG.

This show has no right to be this good but Fox has really outdone themselves and got their own Star Trek show. Its really weird that they pitched or advertised the show initially as family guy star trek because the last two episodes I've watched is really different from that.  I may be a bit biased as I have only seen 2 episodes but it just makes me want to watch more. I look forward to Thursdays now to watch it.
 :eusa_clap:
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #566 on: February 01, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
I've seen a couple of episodes further back.  It struck me as a bit of a spoof of Star Trek.  Not that it was bad though.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #567 on: February 28, 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
I'm excited for the two part conclusion tonight on the Orville. Worth a watch.  :happy:

The Kylons sound just like the Geth from Mass Effect when they were data processing. Was really cool. I think in a way Issac is Legion from ME.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #568 on: March 01, 2019, 03:25:44 AM »
Watched the Orville's conclusion to the 2 parter "Identity"

:Ohmy:

It was freaking amazing! It had a great story with a pretty legit space battle on par with the battle for earth from ME3.
― Jake the Dog

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #569 on: March 01, 2019, 05:26:47 AM »
Binged "Hilda" on Netflix with my wife and daughter.  Very whimsical and fun show.  Like a chill version of adventure time.  Its about a little girl who lives in the wilderness with her mom and encounters Norse creatures.  She deals with trolls that are rocks during the day and alive and destructive at night, mountain sized giants, and even tiny elves that want to evict her (but she cannot see them until she fills out the proper paperwork). I believe its based on a graphic novel of the same name and written by a guy who lived in Norway for a time when he was a kid. Wondering if anyone else has watched it (including our Scandinavian members). My father-in-law who loathes cartoons got quite invested in it. We loved it and I think its worth checking out. 

My daughter triple binged on Hilda. Watched it on Netflix three times within just a few weeks. I saw quite a few of them and enjoyed them quite a bit. Wouldn't mind seeing the whole series to fill in the blanks, to be honest. Similarly, she got me watching Troll Hunters with her for a while, but she lost interest about 3/4 of the way through the series -- I'm tempted to finish it on my own!

I don't watch much grown-up TV.

My wife and I are both big Twin Peaks fans, and David Lynch fans in general. We just finished watching Twin Peaks: The Return and appear to be in the minority of people who absolutely hated it. There were certainly some great parts of the series, but it wasn't worth sitting through all the garbage to get to the good parts. A friend who was also a big fan started watching with us, but dropped out around episode 5 because she was smarter than us.

Looking forward to the next seasons of American Gods & Game of Thrones.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #570 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #571 on: May 03, 2019, 12:14:02 AM »
Ever since we got HBO to watch Game of thrones, Fraggle Rock is on HBO around the time we try to put my 1yo daughter to bed. Unlike other shows where she doesn't care to watch and gets fussy (Except TNG, she loves Picard's voice) she has been utterly entranced with the Fraggles. I've never seen her so enthralled in a TV show since TNG. I haven't seen Fraggle rock since I was a kid on the Disney channel (when the cable company would give it to us for free for a week to entice new subscriptions which only happened once a year if we were lucky). I am just so excited that she likes it. We almost didn't watch it yesterday (her first time watching it) because my wife was worried it would be too loud for her to fall asleep to. I asked her to give it a chance and sure enough my daughter was glued to watching it while drinking her milk and was ready for bed by the end of it.
― Jake the Dog

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #572 on: May 03, 2019, 02:38:36 AM »
Ever since we got HBO to watch Game of thrones, Fraggle Rock is on HBO around the time we try to put my 1yo daughter to bed. Unlike other shows where she doesn't care to watch and gets fussy (Except TNG, she loves Picard's voice) she has been utterly entranced with the Fraggles. I've never seen her so enthralled in a TV show since TNG. I haven't seen Fraggle rock since I was a kid on the Disney channel (when the cable company would give it to us for free for a week to entice new subscriptions which only happened once a year if we were lucky). I am just so excited that she likes it. We almost didn't watch it yesterday (her first time watching it) because my wife was worried it would be too loud for her to fall asleep to. I asked her to give it a chance and sure enough my daughter was glued to watching it while drinking her milk and was ready for bed by the end of it.

So when Prime added HBO as a subscription option some years back, I saw HBO had all of Fraggle Rock. Subsequently I went to sleep that night watching Fraggle Rock.  Quality Henson stuff right there.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #573 on: May 03, 2019, 07:22:42 AM »
Darn why doesn't our HBO (on Demand that is.. we don't have a channel anymore.. somehow) have that!.. Love the Fraggles!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #574 on: May 03, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
Fraggle Rock Cameo!  Stay to the end credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyrfFwf3rI

Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....