home

Author Topic: The Minotaurs: End Times?... or Good Times?!  (Read 495545 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Minotaurs
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
Well I do have fun, I just think it is easy to justify using beastmen fluffwise.

Plus I don't have enough minotaur for 2250, I need to add a few models.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
There was one guy in Freiburg that had his beast army converted with bits from the Tyranids..his dragon ogres were part dragons part Tyranid warriors...looked quite nice...the giant was ....terrifying.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »
The only other current models that I can think are as old as the dragon ogres, perhaps even older are the stone and river trolls.

Both ranges still look pretty good too!  A lot better than the dragon ogres anyhow.

Bearing mind when dragon ogres were new, things like those monopose beastmen with halberds were pretty good plastic models....Us empire had them horrible halberdier models.  Our plastic warhorse was out then too...
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »
In addition to the limited poses, the GW Minotaurs have no necks and horns pointing in a direction (forward) that would cause them to ram their snout into anything they tried to gore.

Dragon Ogres are also have limited poses, but the models themselves have much more character than the Minotaurs. The Shaggoth is a really nice looking model, but it's got a Wood Elf feel to it.

Both Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres need new models; the first because they flat out suck, the second because the concept has been updated.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »
In addition to the limited poses, the GW Minotaurs have no necks and horns pointing in a direction (forward) that would cause them to ram their snout into anything they tried to gore.

True, but most cows (American varieties anyway) have horns that actially point in a similar fashion.  They tend to buck their heads and gore things that are to the side of their snout.  I was once lanced in the kidney area by a bull while I was trying to feed it 9pouring the grain into the trough).  It slapped its nose against the side of my thigh, then swung his head upward, running its nose up my leg until the horn (which had been cut back and blunted thank god) slammed into my back next to my spine.  I was picked up slightly by the force and it scared the crap out of me.

Dragon Ogres are also have limited poses, but the models themselves have much more character than the Minotaurs. The Shaggoth is a really nice looking model, but it's got a Wood Elf feel to it.

Wood elf...  I'm not seeing that...

Both Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres need new models; the first because they flat out suck, the second because the concept has been updated.

I think plastic minotaur are possible (though I am not certain - they didn't do new trolls other than the one bland one)  the DO will probably not get one.  They do look outdated but they are passible.

Phil

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 06:48:37 PM »
I suppose the angle of the horn depends on the breed, but in the Warhammer universe I'd think that Minotaurs would mutate so that their horns were more effective.

The Shaggoth has braids and little spites in its hair.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 06:50:19 PM »
The Shaggoth has braids and little spites in its hair.

Ahhh... I got yah.

Phil

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »
I love the stone trolls, they are some of my favourite GW monsters.

Also, on the Minotaur front, I want one of these ancient ones:

Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »
Yeh, those old trolls are still cool.

I really do hope they renew the dragon ogres. Like Qrab said, they have kinda been updated a little. Through the way the shaggoth is if nothing else. If they could get some of the menace and yet... I don't know... poise of the newer beasts models I'd be a happy man/beast.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
Thing is in rules terms a single dragon ogre is nearly as good as a shaggoth.  A unit of them is easily better 9 times out of 10.

The fact the models are old and tired doesnt prevent me using them.  Ive been banned by my gaming group from buying a second unit of 4 dragon ogres because they are so powerful.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »
@ Calvin: I have that Minotaur Lord. I should strip the paint & repaint him. Definitely a sweet model.

@ Crimsonsphinx: A single Dragon Ogre doesn't come close to a Shaggoth. In addition to the better profile, you can't underestimate Terror and ITP. 3 Dragon Ogres are generally better than a Shaggoth, but as with a lot of warhammer units it depends on how you use them.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »
I think he means they both hit with S7 and the shaggoth only gets two more attacks, 5 versus 3.  Three dragonogres get 9 S7 attacks and cost the same while still having a higher unit strength and not being a large target.

The terror is great, but I think he meant combat potential.

Phil

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 02:14:35 AM »
All of you  ::heretic::

Except McKnight.  All I can say is I am very disapointed in you.
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 02:46:27 AM »
I agree that a unit of Dragon Ogres has better combat potential when just looking at the number of attacks. However, the Shaggoth is more maneuverable, has a higher WS, T, and Ld, and is ItP. As I said, it all comes down to how each of them get used.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:09 AM »
My beastmen are very kindly folk who help little old ladies cross the road and stuff...

My minotaurs give little children rides on their backs and sing them to sleep at night...

Do I avoid a burning?

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »
I'm setting up a unit of custom Ironguts, The Talabheim Zoo squadron, concisting of an ogre, two river trolls and a minotaur  :happy: All the cool 40mm bases monsters!  :smile2:

I did some reposing of the minotaur, and he got into a pretty nasty pose! Instead of the flat pose, he got a running one, swinging his GW and tackling whatever is in front of him! Gotta take a pic of him when he's painted...

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
My beastmen are very kindly folk who help little old ladies cross the road and stuff...

My minotaurs give little children rides on their backs and sing them to sleep at night...

Do I avoid a burning?

That is so beautiful!   :icon_cry:

Shadowwolf:  Please take a picture, I have two new minotaur ready to be pinned and glued, so anything that looks different than the ones I already have will be great.

Phil

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »
 :engel: :engel: :engel: :engel: <--- my minos

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
 ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic:: <--- After the inquisition paid a visit...

Your  :engel:
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 05:58:52 AM »
I think I quite clearly stated that I like Minotaurs due to a Greek mythology connection, nothing to do with the Chaos aspect.  :engel:

@Qrab, You wouldn't happen to know its official name, or a part number or anything..? I haven't even been able to find it on SoL (though I admit my search could have perhaps been more through).
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:24 AM »
Minotaurs are what started my 5000 points worth of beastmen.  In 5th (1998 or 1999) I saw the picture of the Minotaur lord and new that they were the army for me.

You got hooked on the goatee and nothing else Mr. Perv!

Minos and Beastmen are cool, and I do find the current models sufficient (they paint up real well, did two for a friend). That being said, there are loose rumours that the HoC and BoC will become one book over at Warseer but of late, that seems to be a false rumour. Now the HoC is out later this year by "comfirmed" sources, so we will see what happens. We should be able to see some new greens eventually.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »
I think I quite clearly stated that I like Minotaurs due to a Greek mythology connection, nothing to do with the Chaos aspect.  :engel:

@Qrab, You wouldn't happen to know its official name, or a part number or anything..? I haven't even been able to find it on SoL (though I admit my search could have perhaps been more through).
you like the idea of Daedalus making a cow suit, for King Minos' wife (her name escapes me) to climb inside, to get rogered by a giant bull...?

one sick mofo, lol.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
Notts, those sorts of people are called furries arn't they?  Not to be confused by the mythological or warhammer furies :)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »
You got hooked on the goatee and nothing else Mr. Perv!

I know... I'm a horrible person.

Minos and Beastmen are cool, and I do find the current models sufficient (they paint up real well, did two for a friend). That being said, there are loose rumours that the HoC and BoC will become one book over at Warseer but of late, that seems to be a false rumour. Now the HoC is out later this year by "comfirmed" sources, so we will see what happens. We should be able to see some new greens eventually.

I was sweating about that at first, dreams of 'count's as' dancing in my head.  But it does seem that has been canned according to those Warseer threads.  Good thing too.  I think there are a fair number of Beast players, so hopefully they don't nerf us.  I always liked them because back then they were the least popular.  I have really gotten into the fluff though.  I think they did a stellar job.  The only problem is they havn't yet answered the age old question: Do beastmen breed in the wild or do all new ones some from deformed babiees, both animal and human?

Phil

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »
Beastmen in the background are their own race, but they adopt human mutants according to pretty much all the novels I have read.

However no such things seem to exist in fantasy battle, so im not much sure.