home

Author Topic: "Flock" of Doom  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
"Flock" of Doom
« on: February 12, 2004, 03:03:03 AM »
Ok, thanks to finally getting down and 'attempting' to paint my army, I'll start running into some problems so I'm probably going to be asking advice of people who actually know what their doing.  Seeing my first few units completed makes me realize "why didn't I paint my army years ago.  Looks WAY better now!!"

Anyway, to the question.  I'm using flock and I don't think it's thick enough of a layer.  How do you apply a second layer of flock without removing the already flocked stuff?  Or how do you fix flock that looks too thin on the model?
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
Re: "Flock" of Doom
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:07:53 AM »
Quote from: Clarkarias
Anyway, to the question.  I'm using flock and I don't think it's thick enough of a layer.  How do you apply a second layer of flock without removing the already flocked stuff?  Or how do you fix flock that looks too thin on the model?

What kind of flock is it?
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:32:34 AM »
The stuff I started to use is just the cheap green fluff stuff cause my friend had a TON of extra after he did his whole army
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 03:35:49 AM »
Clarkarias, I swear by a Woodland Scenics product named Scenic Cement.

its a thin liquid that works great as a means to add second layers of flock.  It also is very good for locking down gravel and ballast on bases (or the cat litter that I use for stones)  Get a jug of it at your local full-service hobby store, and an eye-dropper and you are good to go.    

for larger projects, it can be sprayed on as well.  Very useful for multi-colored flocking on terrain bits.

you can get similar results with thinned down white glue with a tiny bit of liquid soap added, but the Scenic Cement is Ready To Use.  :-)

Offline Rior the 2nd

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 04:04:14 AM »
For normal flock I simply use watered down elmers glue.  First off paint the base a dark brown or green to make missed patches harder to see.  Then just apply one layer of glue dust it, wait an hour or so, and then carefully apply another layer with a paint brush(make sure the first layer is dry).  One pretty good trick is using more glue than water on the first coat, and then more water than glue on the second.

Scenic Cement is very effective, but I find it to be a bit spendy.
If you can't do something well, enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 02:00:25 PM »
To get the old flock off there, I use two ways.  Firstly, I just scrape it off with an exato knife until most of it is gone.  This seems to work very well, but I do get a couple of knicks on my fingers.  After that I just use a thinned glue and paint mixture and flock back over the stuff.  

Second, when I want to get a "nice" effect. I do the same thing, but use Squadron Green Putty to build up the base a little.  It is very thin and you can smear it on with a sculpting tool. Don't let it hit paint, it will disolve it.  

All of my new snow bases have mounds of snow, built up with Squadron putty.  I just sand it smooth, paint it with a thinned blue green paint for the first coat.  The second coat is white glue, white paint, and dip the model in snow flock.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Erik Thorvaldson

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 02:34:41 PM »
I am having mass success with soaking the base (yes with the fig still on it) in a shallow amount of hot water. This slays the basic white glue that I used. I then scrape off the hated flock. No knicks in the fingers and the painted base is mostly intact!

Offline CM Dante

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 03:03:07 PM »
To be honest, I try to stay away from flock altogether, I much prefer the results you get with sand. Also after painting your sanded base the desired colour its alot less likely to fall off!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 03:15:38 PM »
I agree with Dante; flock is nasty, sand is good.

Not that I've bothered to texture most of my bases at all. :oops:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 04:01:50 PM »
Just a note:

I'm not trying to take my flock off my models.  I'm trying to add a second layer.  Unless the general concensous is that I remove the flock and put something different on.

And thanks Queek.  I'll go hunting for that stuff...Gotta find more hobby stores around here....

I don't really like sand that much unless I do the ole patch effect (green and brown on the bases)

Any other ideas?

Offline CM Dante

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 07:09:55 PM »
Sand and static grass are the best combo in my opinion (I assume this is what you mean by the brown and green patch effect?)

Dante

Offline Heiglot

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 07:47:12 PM »
i just use a normal glue (like PVA glue) use a brush to get it all over the base (while the model is on) then i drop some sand on it and then dip it into my box of static grass. it covers the whole thing i cant see the base at all, except from the side. and thats ONE layer ;)

Heiglot

Offline simonp

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 08:21:11 PM »
I like to paint diluted PVA glue onto the base then i dip it in a small box of fine grained sand. Gives you texture you can paint as you like. If i feel creative or its a character deserving more attention i glue a few small pieces of rock onto it along with a few patches of static grass. Looks good to me :-)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 08:44:38 PM »
For my part, I just prefer to cover all bases with static grass. Since most game tables I play on have a static grass surface anyway, it fits that purpose.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Heiglot

• Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 09:24:25 PM »
yeah, it might seem weird that the empire desert warriors brings with them a part of the desert onto the grass boards  :lol:

like my someone said once: "*taking of his shoes after walking on the beach* wow, i brought with me half the beach"

Heiglot

Offline jlutin

• Members
  • In Development Now
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »
When I do bases (or terrain sometimes)  I think the PVA and pool it onto the base.  I then use a toothpick or brush to move the pool around any missed places.

That makes the flock very thick and after a coat of Matte Sealer, it's locked in place.

I do use the Woodland Scenics blended turf for flock.
Obama has spent more time playing golf than meeting with Republicans, his Deficit Commission, his Job Council and his Cabinet COMBINED.

Offline Dragonis999

• Members
  • Toronto, Canada
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 03:38:20 PM »
Sand and static grass looks much better than flock, but flock does make goo moss and stuff of that sort.
In Soviet Kislev, troll eats you!

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
"Flock" of Doom
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 06:16:32 PM »
to beef up your flock i find it best to just to dab some more glue over what you have already put on, then put more flock on. some will come off, but more will go on.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.