home

Author Topic: 'Lazy' Averlanders!  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Henners

• Members
'Lazy' Averlanders!
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
Hey guys,

So mostly I've lurked on this forum... I first registered and actually posted with a couple of questions regarding this Averlandian Army of mine.

I actually started what you see here a year ago but life as well as my poor work ethic conspired to make my progress very slowgoing. Nevertheless I am happy to have finished what I have!

I picked Averland because I had decided on the yellow/black colourscheme before I even knew the fluff... I pretty much wanted to emulate what I considered an 'Austrian' aesthetic. I was pretty pleased to find out Averland already existed in the fluff... and I absolutely loved their 'pomposity'. I decided that my Greatswords, Generals, characters and Knights were all to be covered in bright plumage and the army itself should be as bright and crisp as possible.

Due to lack of variety in GW's heads and the general aesthetics I decided that I would like my State Troopers entirely clad in sallets (to be honest, as both a WAR and Mark of Chaos player, I always envisaged State Troops in sallets anyway). So my State Troopers utilise a large number of Perry European Mercenaries heads. If you look carefully you should also be able to count around three State Troopers who are based on the Perry torsos (I hate that 1/10 of the State Trooper bodies are armoured ones meant for the Champion; so I had to replace them); I'll give you a tip - at least one is without a helmet :) They actually fit in pretty well; I just had to shorten the halberds in the middle so the arms could meet at the torso.

Anyway, here're the pictures:
A wider view of (most) of what I've managed to paint.

Handgunners and Wizard of the Gold Order, with a Jade Order 'un being slightly visible behind:

Unfortunately the Jade Wizard (GW's old Radaghast miniature) is varnished and not yet matte spray'd; so the light is a nightmare

Left Cannon, Handgunners and Light Wizard:

Other cannon and custom Green Stuff'd Witch Hunter (based on a Perry Miniatures' European Mercenary's body):

Here's the Witch Hunter unpainted... it took a helluva lot of cleaning up with Liquid Green Stuff, a file and whatnot to get him to a paintable stage.

And last, as a bonus... here's a picture of my State Troops that my sister was able to take with her proper camera:

As for how these chaps are painted? Well I take ages to paint generally and wasn't very patient - so I wanted to get these guys done as quickly as possible. I use Army Painter Daemonic Yellow as my primer. I then fill in all the primary colours from there - flesh, metal, etc. Then I heavily wash with Agrax Earthshade any area that needs it (and I mean heavily). I then go over the yellow areas in Golden Yellow; everything else I leave alone. The metal gets a black wash of course. I further layer the yellow with a couple of brighter coats and touch everything up as nicely as I can. Once the model is near 'done' I simply put a light white drybrush over the black and yellow parts. Any black armour also gets varnish so it shines! For basing, I use Rhinox Hide, drybrush the old bestial brown paint (no idea what it is now) and finally bleached bone. Standard citadel basing grass after that.

Anyway - I hope you enjoyed! Any comments are welcome :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:26:48 AM by Henners »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: 'Lazy' Tabletop Standard Averlanders!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »
cool army dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline riff100

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
Looking good man! love the warrior priest in the black armour he looks like a badass.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
nice painting
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »
thats a little too good for 'lazy tabletop standard'.

Tabletop standard is everything gets hit with 1 color of paint. And maybe a wash.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 03:41:30 AM »
If that's lazy, I'd hate to see what happens when you concentrate....Good work, very nicely painted army.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Henners

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
Heh, thanks - I was thinking that it was probably a bit of an arrogant topic name. At my old gaming group I kind of developed a paranoid tendency to keep referring to some of my armies as 'tabletop standard'; mostly because I absolutely suck at the wargaming side of the hobby and the only 'reputation' I was able to maintain was for my painting ;) I got a few rivalries and in the end felt insecure enough to have to specify when I hadn't put my full effort into a project! (My darn Maltese rival, however, *always* put his full effort in... *shakes fist*)

Still, as most of the work is done with a colour primer and a wash, I wouldn't exactly say this is the 'right' way to paint - it's at the very least cheating. People often lament about yellow as being the devil's colour to paint. Well, I kind of circumvented the problem ;P

If I do put my full effort into an army it takes stuuuupidly long. Any time I've tried to I've never managed more than a squad or two (this was at the beginning of my time in the hobby; I actually think the qualitfy of my work has, to an extent, deteriorated :p)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:28:30 AM by Henners »