home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296405 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: ZeroTwentythree's Pandemonium Multi-PLog Shadow Show
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 03:29:13 AM »
Random WIP figure. This was a free figure from painting event at a convention. Sort of pirateyi-ish? Felt like painting it up. Feel like painting up some more misc. figures soon, too. This one is so fiddly it slowed me down. Nice figure, though. Sorry the pics are a little out of focus.

And the most recent set of vinyl toys I've done.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: ZeroTwentythree's Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »
Made a little progress on the mini above, will post a pic when done.

Got distracted. Going to try finishing up some figures I started long, long ago. Here's the first batch of WIP...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 04:09:46 AM »
While waiting for the basing material on the figures above to dry, I started digging through some boxes in the darkest, cobwebbiest part of the attic and came across some unfinished oddities from way, way back....

Goblin bat rider! I may have another one of these still sealed in its box, though if it wasn't in the bin I found this guy in, I may have already gotten rid of it.

I believe this is supposed to be a frost dragon. Wings are bent out of shape, and it needs some putty work at the joints, but otherwise not a bad model given how old it probably is.

Speaking of old.... (like crushed in the bottom of a box for the past 20 years, old...) I think these are a pair of Ral Partha giant bees that I glued some 15mm historical knights on as part of a never-completed fairy themed Hordes of the Things army.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:23:17 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 02:47:25 PM »
so awesomely weird  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
Found another box of figures, both painted and unpainted. I think I've unearthed everything at this point, so no second bat rider. BUT, I do still have the Forest Dragon Spirit from the same series, which is sort of like a tree dragon. Still in the box, but that might do in my pile of random things to paint.

I also found my Visions in Putty #2 set of castings! When I first wanted to learn to sculpt, I joined a miniature sculpting mailing list, which I think later moved to Yahoo Groups. They did a few of these VIP things, where everyone would sculpt something to a theme, and then get critiqued. VIP was unique in that we all sent our greens to a caster, along with a nominal fee, and then everyone who participated got a full set. It was really cool to see everything go from green to cast figure. The experience of the participants (and the list members) was really diverse, and included professionals, some amateurs who have since become professionals, and then the total beginners like myself. It was a great place to get advice and feedback, and I'm grateful that I found it during it's peak. Here's the page with everyone's greens: http://miniature-painting.net/visions-putty-2

So here's a painted casting of my figure, a Tokugawa era handgunner sculpted (and painted) from an illustration. Not sure where his gun went. Looks pretty bad, but I'm OK with that given it was my first time trying to sculpt something from scratch rather than just filling gaps or adding a detail to a converted figure! I did it the tedious way... I actually sculpted a skully face, added eyeballs, then sculpted the flesh over that. I sculpted a plain body form, then added each layer of clothing on top of that, one after the other. It was tedious, and caused a lot of problems for me. But it was a great learning experience (as people like to say about their bad first attempts...  :wink: )

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
Great to see that VIP project. I've done very little sculpting, but I've tried working in layers a bit like that and although you "waste" some work it did seem to help get a better final result.

The bee knights were actually a thing, I'm sure I've seen them kicking around on ebay before. Those 15mm riders may actually be true 25mm halflings in armour, or faerie knights or something like that.

And that is indeed a frost dragon, the Ral Partha Fearless Frost Dragon by the great Nick Bibby, no less. I would love to see you paint that!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:26 PM »
The bee knights were actually a thing, I'm sure I've seen them kicking around on ebay before. Those 15mm riders may actually be true 25mm halflings in armour, or faerie knights or something like that.

And that is indeed a frost dragon, the Ral Partha Fearless Frost Dragon by the great Nick Bibby, no less. I would love to see you paint that!

My bees had no riders, so I do know that those are 15mm knights. But you're still right, I think they have little saddles on them. I think I've seen an old RP catalog where they also had some flies or mosquitoes or something. Speaking of, I do have some other goodies along those lines that I just dug out, too. More photos to come...

I looked and Iron Wind Metals still cast the dragon. Even better, they still sell the Black Dragon of Fire and Darkness, which was awesome except that when I got it, they were still using (soft) lead and it couldn't support the weight of its own wings. So every few months, the wings would sag and end up resting on the shelf. After bending them back into their proper position too many times over a period of years, metal fatigue gave in and the wings started cracking/breaking. I got rid of mine, but would love to paint another one. The body looked like it was modeled on a real world lizard crawling along the ground.

And thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe I will paint this one up at some point.  :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 04:07:09 AM »
Finished that small batch of figures from before.

I think I need a new camera, I just can't get crisp photos, and mine has started randomly shutting down as I'm trying to use it. Maybe I'll try my phone next time, it's better for general purposes but loses some detail at the macro level. (Phone is a Galaxy S5, camera is a ten year old Finepix E510.)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:16:47 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline undivided.capital

• Members
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 04:22:06 AM »
Great miniatures! Love the one far left.  :::cheers:::
Thanks,

Sam Taylor

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
love thos models! especially the bat-riding goblin is way to cool!
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
Thanks!  :::cheers:::

Wrapped up a couple more figures that were previously half finished. I'm not terribly fond of either of them, which is why they were set aside in the first place. They will serve as back rank emergency recruits in the mercenary greatswords.

Took this pic with my phone. Maybe slightly better image quality? I'll try it again on the next figures... as soon as I decide what to paint.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:17:11 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
That female swordswoman is one of my favorite old school Citadel models.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »
Much as I love your Infinite Rabbits models, it's nice to see you working on some miniatures, and classics at that.

I'm interested that you "aren't fond" of these and left them incomplete. Do you go off them after you start painting them, or are you just not keen in the first place I only ask because I have a few minis that I bought specially for armies, and then just can't get painted!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 06:15:45 AM »
In the case of those two...

The plastic guy -- I bought a set of the 8th ed. plastics to start making some halberdiers. I got about half way through and just couldn't stand the look of the new plastics. But I liked this guy (sergeant?) as a militia or back rank greatsword. So I kept him. But he was still a second-rate figure, so I never finished him til now.

The classic lead lady -- The figure itself  is decent, especially as a great reflection of the old 80s artwork. But it really didn't fit my Marienburgers. She's more like a grizzled veteran of the 80s, where my Marienburgers are mostly the parade ground 90's look.

----

Today I'm building a unit of halberdiers using the old 5th ed. multi-piece plastics and I've really got to say that these have stood the test of time. I'd still buy more of these if they were available. My stash is running low...  :-(

Also painting a few more old, half-finished figures. More pics soon...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 03:00:31 AM »
Finally working on finishing an old standard bearer. I lost the sketches I had for his old standard, so I will come back to that idea at a later time. Still sticking with something sort of fantasy-landsknechty-Marienburgy. Was thinking about adding an anchor symbol, but after putting one on the pic in photoshop, I'm not certain if I should...

WIP

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (standard & art. crew)
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »

No opinions on the standard (anchor or no anchor) above?

Wrapped up a couple of other old figures that have been sitting half-painted for years.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »
Well, I like the anchor. It's a bit like a Swedish Union Jack as it stands, perhaps!

I love the way your miniature afterthoughts are nicer than my best paint jobs. Perhaps if I hated it I would paint better?  :smile2:

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »
the anchor is not bad, painted it would probably look even better. None the less I prefer the standard without it.  Maybe try devoting one quadrant to the anchor alone on a bed of gold and silver coins.  I really and truly like those artillerymen, I need about another 120 crewmen for the rest of my guns, i wished that they could all look like that, or at least look that good.   steveb

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
If you use the anchor it needs to stand out more and the flag colours are too vibrant or strong.

You would need to paint it in a much brighter colour, and/or tone down the background.
I actually like the anchor, but it is muted by the blue, yellow and orange.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2015, 05:46:27 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think I agree, the anchor is OK but I think it will be better left off. I will save that motif for another standard.

As far as the artillery crew, I have a few more I am finishing up and when I am done, I think I will have enough for 6 artillery pieces, if I include the (Imperial) dwarfs. Speaking of which... at some point in this "lost figures" painting spree, I hope to get to that old dwarf swivel gun! I never even started that one, though, and I'm trying to wrap up the odds & ends I started but never completed before moving on to new stuff.

Another project I started long ago was a modular wagon, based on the war-wagon. I previously posted pics of it in use as a "Steamless Tank." I've also used it in games as a War Altar, but never actually made the altar bits. I usually just (lamely) stuck a priest in the otherwise empty wagon. (Sort of like in the pic above.) But that will be augmented soon! I have started working on the golden statue for my War Altar of Manann! I swapped out the bendy trident for something with a little more, uh, vigor, and have begun coating the big guy with gesso as a primer.

I think it's going to be a bit of gold overload. But Marienburg. In fact, maybe I should sculpt up some money bags and drape them over the sides...

Maybe someday I will do a dedicated War Altar that's more in theme and more detailed. I've seen a lot of really great War Altars of different Imperial faiths. But this project was mostly an excuse to make use of the War Wagon, and get the most mileage out of it. At some point I will even paint up the original crew!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 05:50:30 PM »
I like that war wagon and the stank platform designed to go in it, nothing like versatility, and so well painted.  I love war wagons almost as much as I like stanks, and I love stanks almost as much as I like cannons!  so with this one model you have hit a tri-fecta,  win place and show.  good job!  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 04:10:06 AM »
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment coming from the king of the tank & artillery corps!

Since digging this out for the belated WAlter conversion, I've been thinking about adding an armoured roof for the STank configuration. Something along the lines of siege equipment. So this might be seeing further revisions.

In the meantime: Manann in gold.

I thought about a bit of weathering, but figured it's Marienburg. They pay people to polish something as important as that. It would never look weathered.  :mrgreen:

I finished one more artillery crew, this time a classic lead figure...

...and I ran up to one of the local game stores to take advantage of their Endhammer sale. Basically, everything pre-End of Times is on sale. I was hoping to get some militia & zombies, but came home with...

Why? Well, thinking about some solo  gaming and thought Undead would be a good robo-match to play against my Marienburgers. For the method behind such heretical madness, see:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=49972.0

::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (art. crew & war altar of Manann)
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Jon Kerr

• Members
  • Kislev Boyar
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Manann in gold.

Your Nan must be very proud you made a model of her. She's a bit funny looking though......

Joking apart, fantastic work! Love this theme, love the original Mannan's Blades (My Nan's Daggers? LOL) and the execution of the conversions and paintjob is awesome!!!!!
Check out http://TaleOfFourGeeks.co.uk

Painting tips videos, and blog posts from some amazing army painters!

Follow me on Twitter! @Jon_Kerr_T4G

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (art. crew & war altar of Manann)
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
I like the warwagon/steam tank/war altar! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra