home

Author Topic: Upcoming and Current Movies ...  (Read 176751 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Upcoming and Current Movies ...
« Reply #1200 on: June 05, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »
Spoilers***

A quick google search suggests it's Captain Marvel's Sigil.

( DO NOT LOOK)

OOh ok  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #1201 on: June 06, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
I've watched "The Ritual" on Netflix. Fantastic, lovecraftian horror with beautiful, wide shots and great atmosphere. Highly recommended.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1202 on: June 06, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
I havnt seen Solo yet [I still have force fatigue] but from what I've seen of the trailer and snippets on youtube; the trains sequence reminded me of a level from Shadows of the empire

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1203 on: June 08, 2018, 06:33:50 AM »
I havnt seen Solo yet [I still have force fatigue] but from what I've seen of the trailer and snippets on youtube; the trains sequence reminded me of a level from Shadows of the empire

I am seeing it in 2 nights time. I am hoping for those types of feels.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1204 on: June 08, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
It is a great fun movie to watch. Not the most memorable (although that might be my age) but very enjoyable. I too loved the inclusion of the Imperial Army. It was like my old D6 Star Wars games come to life.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1205 on: June 08, 2018, 01:41:48 PM »
Its kind of like The Good The Bad The Ugly in space.  Good stuff. Its not meant to be epic, just a good time.  Have fun.  :::cheers:::
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1206 on: June 09, 2018, 01:32:42 AM »
On the subject of future star wars movies; does anyone know why Disney isn't touching the EU. I know they're not using the older, post ROTJ stuff as it doesn't mesh with the new sequels but why aren't they touching the pre phantom menace EU stuff. From what I've seen there is a wealth of stuff there [such as the KOTOR games] which seems to be adored.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1207 on: June 09, 2018, 04:28:19 AM »
My guess is Disney wants to focus on what will net them the most money which is "what the general public will identify as a star wars."  :roll:

I totally agree with you though.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1208 on: June 09, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
I think as well they want to focus on making their own EU. The previous EU was absolutely massive, and frankly not all of it was that good. (I'm looking at you chewie getting hit by a moon.) This way by wiping the slate clean they can do whatever they want, however they want. I wouldn't be surprised if they do keep some of the popular parts and find a way to work it in.

A month or so ago there was a rumour that they were trying to make a Mara Jade tv series and wanted to find a way to work her into the new universe without having tie her to Luke like in the EU.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1209 on: June 09, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
The Thrawn trilogy and Rogue Squadron series in my opinion are the strongest parts of the EU.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1210 on: June 09, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
Fully agree Warlord, and I think the suits agree. Thrawn is already being included in the new canon through Rebels and other stuff, we're getting more comics based on Rogue Squadron, etc. I think that's just more evidence that the new management is carefully picking and choosing what they want to use from the old EU while ignoring the bits they don't like.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1211 on: June 10, 2018, 07:15:49 AM »
I read bits of the EU too and found most of it pretty bad. I got rid of all my old EU books with the exception of the X-wing novels.
Getting back to the subject of movies, I saw the Lego movie sequel trailer and I think I've figured out who the 'invaders' are :happy:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1212 on: July 25, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
Anyone else hyped for the King of Monsters movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM

No? Just me?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1213 on: July 25, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
I don't know honestly. I generally like Godzilla, but I didn't really like the last one. I'm one of those Heretics that liked the Mathew Broderick version. On the other hand, I did like the recent King Kong remake and it's all suppose to be in the same universe isn't it?

King of Monsters trailer looks good, but I think I'll wait for reviews before deciding to see it in theaters or wait for home video.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1214 on: July 26, 2018, 02:16:35 AM »
Plot looks contrived and stupid.

Why do writers take monster fight pretext stories so seriously? Pacific Rim did it right by accepting the goofiness and playing it semi-straight rather than trying to make something obviously unrealistic look plausible and grimdark.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1215 on: July 26, 2018, 06:12:20 AM »
My workmates dragged me off to see Oceans 8. It was a pretty tedious and unfunny comedy

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1216 on: July 27, 2018, 01:15:12 AM »
I already knew that and I haven't even seen the trailer
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1217 on: July 29, 2018, 03:26:33 AM »
Im a parent, so I don't get to watch grown up movies.

I thought Incredibles 2 was OK. Better than expected, honestly. My expectations were low.

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies was disappointing. I find the TV Show to be one of the more entertaining thisngs my daughter watches, but it's like they threw all the good writing & humor out the window for the film. Plot took itself too seriously, and instead of new funny gags, just rehashed the same old ones so much that they quit being funny. Also could have been called the Robin Movie, since they reduced the other four characters to just a catch phrase/gag without their usual personalities.

I have no idea what grown up movies are out. Solo sounds interesting based on the comments above. Especially as I love The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Thought Rogue One sucked, though, so wasn't in a hurry to see Solo.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:18:39 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1218 on: July 30, 2018, 10:17:30 AM »
I went to the theater a week back and Solo was already out of the theaters.  Couldn't have been that good.  I remember when a summer movie would be in the theaters for the whole summer, apparently not these days.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1219 on: August 01, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
To be fair, it has been out for about 2-3 months... not many movies last that long in the cinema anymore...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1220 on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »
 :icon_lol:  Yep, it had an opening day of what? May 28th, so 2 months at most.  And it has been reported that it was the worst ever opening weekend for a Star Wars film ever.  Guess that could have been a harbinger of it not making it till the end of the summer. Oh well.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1221 on: August 01, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »
Plonk it between Avengers 3 and Deadpool 2, during NBA grand finals and instead of releasing at xmas like the 3 previous star wars movies, of course it is going to open badly. Add to it that star wars fans were boycotting due to last jedi, and its only kinda average, plus harrison ford is very difficult to replace in the role, and you have a perfect storm for mediocre returns.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1222 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
Bingo!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1223 on: September 25, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rakYVuDEQ8Q

But seriously, I will probably not watch this movie.  Give me a cybertron war movie with the old school looking transformers and I'd watch it.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1224 on: September 25, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
Anyone seen the current predator movie? I've heard decent things about it but nothing that's blown my friends away.