home

Author Topic: Gathering Storm - Fall of Cadia  (Read 18114 times)

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
Gathering Storm - Fall of Cadia
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:21:23 AM »
OK, so is this the "End Times" of 40K?

"Fall of Cadia is the first book in the Gathering Storm series."  <<fluffwise>> "Their arrival spurs a chain of events that will change things forever – the pylons will fall, the Eye will open, and a storm will come."

We've always known 'ole 'Zeke has been launching his 13th Crusade for the last 25 years (just like Archaon was doing his Everchosen thing for decades) and we all wanted the fluff to be advanced. Do you think they will blow it up like Fantasy? Do you think it will be another five book series like the End Times? Will they have a shortage of said books like they did for Volume three of End Times? Worst of all, do you think they will "Age of Sigmar" 40K?

I'm hoping they've learned from all their mistakes and advance the story, maybe give us a tweaked 8th, and not have 1/2 their customer base nerd rage like last time.

I know there have been discussion like this on other threads, but they mostly talked about the new minis/rules that were coming. I'd like this thread to be about the fluff, and not the crunch, and what the future holds. If mods want to remove/reroute thread, I'm cool with that.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Gathering Storm - Fall of Cadia
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
At the very least it'll be an excuse to sell some big collector's models, Primarchs especially. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plastic titan.

I think they won't End Times 40k, but will Age of Sigmar it, maybe a ruleset halfway between AoS and current 40k complexity.

I don't have much faith in GW to turn out an interesting story. End Times had two or three good ideas which were mostly mishandled, and the rest was absolute rubbish. It also started off relatively strongly but went downhill fast.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
I hope this doesnt mean the end of the cadian kits. I LOVE the imperial guard models. I cant see myself collecting whatever it is that may replace them

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
The Cadian's will fall, kits and all.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
The Cadian's will fall, kits and all.

That's almost signature worthy!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
I hope this doesnt mean the end of the cadian kits. I LOVE the imperial guard models. I cant see myself collecting whatever it is that may replace them

They are some of the worst kits GW do. They are massively out of scale. Hopefully we will get some new ones. More 40K.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
I'm a fan of the cadian kits, but I'm also very interested in a kit that might replace them. The cadians are a bit iconic of 40k to me, but they could certainly do with an upgrade.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:33:39 AM »
My 7 year old have just started collecting Cadians because "They look like real soldiers!" He does not find Power armoured stuff that interesting.

My oldest son is pissed as hell and so not want to talk 40K at all. He thinks the Cadia is the coolest place in 40K.

Also, of this follows that there will be a Sigmar treatment of 40K. Logic dictates it.
If Cadia fall, Terra is defenceless in the long term at least. This means Chaos final victory is secure.

There will be no Imperium next ed. Whatever remains will be a minor faction fighting a doomed and hopeless fight as a minor faction.
I think there will basically be three main factions. Chaos, Tyranids and Orkz.
The Nids and The Orkz (soon Orrkuz) are after after The fall of Cadia and the obliteration of Terra and Mars the only forces who could actually defeat Chaos.
Order with Ultramarines as their champions will fight a heroin but losing battle. Guards, Eldars and Tau, maybe necrons too, will be lumped in with the Adeptus Astares but will not get any real support.

Those are the conclusions we van draw.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 04:19:35 AM »
Well I've read spoilers and Cadia is in for a rough time. Celestine fights Abaddon. Other stuff happens. My first post stands.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:35:22 AM »
Everything I've seen is pointing towards the "minute to midnight" just getting pushed forward a few seconds with 40k going into an age of darkness.

Also, one of the authors spoke out against the rumors.

For the ones that think 40K will be AoSfied in the same way as what happened with the old world Robbie MacNiven an author for GW.

Posted this on his blog.

*(Site I quoted this from has a horrible quote system so picture below )

With the following comment:

Seriously though, think before you start spouting off about end times or spreading rumours. It’s all going to be okay, trust me.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/76f04bde4fc5b45cac0023e97bf5b3d2/tumblr_ojiu0hMqrv1ummjd5o1_1280.jpg
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »
Hah! Same was said about AoS. It is nothing to worry about, yyou will be able too use your armies, bla, bla...

Truth is had they just changed the game system but kept the setting I would have been fine with AoS.

All the armies we have in the family will fall under the hearing of Order. We can safely conclude that GW will bunch it all together in 4 factions like in AoS.
I have zero interest in Destruction, Death or Chaos. They are bot fun. I cannot identify with them. Nor can my kids.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
Has anyone actually read this first-hand, yet? I want to get it, but I don't want to invest in an end-times debacle...
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
Has anyone actually read this first-hand, yet? I want to get it, but I don't want to invest in an end-times debacle...

It sold out at my LFGS, but it is still available on the site (unlike the Traitor Legions book, which has already run through two prints, and is STILL out of stock . . . not even mad . . . ). I'll probably pick it up, although I don't play any of the armies that the book has new rules on (Ad Mech, Sisters, Inquisition). Still, just to keep up on fluff, I'll probably get it. After all, I have the entire harback, five book series of Fantasy End Times sitting very pretty on my shelf, and I'm a GW whore, and what else am I going to spend my money on?  :mrgreen:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
..... although I don't play any of the armies that the book has new rules on (Ad Mech, Sisters, Inquisition).

So how does that effect the Imperial Agents codex?
I thought that was fairly new - are they superceding those rules already, or just repeating them in this new campaign book?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
It sold out at my LFGS, but it is still available on the site (unlike the Traitor Legions book, which has already run through two prints, and is STILL out of stock . . . not even mad . . . ). I'll probably pick it up, although I don't play any of the armies that the book has new rules on (Ad Mech, Sisters, Inquisition). Still, just to keep up on fluff, I'll probably get it. After all, I have the entire harback, five book series of Fantasy End Times sitting very pretty on my shelf, and I'm a GW whore, and what else am I going to spend my money on?  :mrgreen:
Send it to me? :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »
..... although I don't play any of the armies that the book has new rules on (Ad Mech, Sisters, Inquisition).

So how does that effect the Imperial Agents codex?
I thought that was fairly new - are they superceding those rules already, or just repeating them in this new campaign book?

Doesn't change them, just adds to them with more formations, like how to make a combo Sister/Black Templar list, some new relics, and what looks to be a kind of "Storm of Magic" but with psychic powers.

Yeah, but you'd just spend on more GW stuff too, so, cut out the middle man.  :-D

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »

Doesn't change them, just adds to them with more formations, like how to make a combo Sister/Black Templar list, some new relics, and what looks to be a kind of "Storm of Magic" but with psychic powers.

Thanks, but does it print all the existing stuff as well?

I am angling here to see if rather than buy the Imperial Agents codex, I can buy the Gathering one instead.

Though from what I hear of current GW policies they seem to spread options over loads of books, so you have to buy them all. FR1DAY was complaining his current army is spread over 4 books.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 12:40:51 AM »
I was thinking just this. I love the space Wolves lore and have the codex. Then I got the champions of fenris and I drew the supposed line there. Now I'm reading the Curse of the Wulfen  and guess what. Now I want the new codex and a mix of the models. I even like Murderfang which I didn't originally. Damn GW and the horse it rode in on.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 01:13:52 AM »
Yeah, but you'd just spend on more GW stuff too, so, cut out the middle man.  :-D
:icon_lol:  Probably not much on GW, but maybe a little, and instead more on historicals. :icon_biggrin:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »
I do not believe Gathering Storm includes the SoB list, or other lists. Just new rules & formations.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 12:17:13 AM »

Thanks, but does it print all the existing stuff as well?

I am angling here to see if rather than buy the Imperial Agents codex, I can buy the Gathering one instead.

Though from what I hear of current GW policies they seem to spread options over loads of books, so you have to buy them all. FR1DAY was complaining his current army is spread over 4 books.

Alas, I have neither book, so I can't give any details (but if I do pick them up, I will post here).

I agree with yours and others assessment of GW policies. I play Daemons, and wanted to get at the fluff and rules for them in the Wulfen book, but opted not to pay the $70 for a few pages.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
While I like Robbie MacNiven and ADB, it is worth to remember that they are working for GW, so will not say anything that would be in opposition to their company's interests.

40K is getting the AoS treatment, I'm sure of it. Also, just like the End Times, it will be very badly written. Hell, already the Fall of Cadia sucks.

Arch has a few good points here. Check 'em out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8uX51CFwY
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
Red Alert!  Red Alert!  Red Alert!

It's all a conspiracy to get you to buy more figures.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 04:43:56 PM »
I read the spoilers that got posted, and to be honest I'm fairly interested. I'd like to see the actual book so I can see the details and stuff, but for the most part I like it. Like the End Times, I'm more concerned with future books. I really liked the first two End Times books, although there were obviously things I didn't like. Khaine book was meh but it was the dwarf one that disappointed me the most. Hopefully they don't repeat that trend here.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
They won't completely screw up the game.  40k is worth too much money and GW is doing absolutely fantastic financially now.  They won't kick over the apple cart.

I have some confidence that they can produce a good story.  Their 40k work has been pretty consistently good, much much more so than their fantasy stuff.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.