home

Author Topic: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return  (Read 18353 times)

Offline spite

• Members
Re: The Dwarfs Return - Spites Painting Blog (With WoC Characters)
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
Thanks! That is the look i'm going for, the Blue and the Dark Basing i think go down well, like they are fighting in the Undergrounds of the Mountains. The Darkness was close to a Level in Super Mario World, almost like a pastel blue/grey:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
Aaaah the good old days - super Mario. I can still hear  the music.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

Been a while since my last update, it's been a busy month so I haven't got a lot done. I played my massive game of 8th with my friend, 5,000pts a side, was a lot of fun to say the least. We were using some modified Storm of Magic/Khaine Rules, so magic was 4D6 a side! I was using a combi list of High Elves, Empire and Dwarfs with the Empire being the mainstay of the list. I can't remember exactly but I wanted to use only my painted models so I ended up with something like this:

Balthasar Gelt
Archmage
Loremaster
Sorcerer Lord
BSB
Spearmen Block
Swordmaster Block
Archer Block
2 x RBTs
Skycutter
2 x Steam Tanks
2 x Cannons
2 x Mortars
Massive Knightly Order block
Shadow Warriors...lots of em
10 x Outriders
Dwarf Lord
Runelord
Longbeards Block
Phoenix Guard Block

Versus his:

Malekith The Eternity King
Warlocks....lots of em
Dark Riders...lots of em
Shades....lots of em
Witch Elf Block
Executioner Block
Cold One Knight Block
Big Crossbow Block
2 x Hydras
Kharidbyss
2 x RBTs
Phoenix Guard Block
Wild Rider Block

Some highlights were:

- Recasting Searing Doom to blow Malekith The Eternity Douchebag off the face of the table T1
- My Cannons and Steam Tank misfiring and blowing themselves up
- Eternity rules Elves are stupid as can be...
- A general bloodbath on both sides, not much left to tell the tale

Few pictures of the game below:

Was a real blast to play some Fantasy again, I'm eager to get the rest of my Armies painted. The next update will be some Miners, I've just finished them but better off separating the posts.

Thanks!

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
So in this update I'll be showing my newly painted 10 Miners, have to say these Minis are full of character and make my want to get a ton more to paint up (I'm still looking to get the command anyhow). I'm also really pleased how they came out, the beards I tried to give a lot of attention too. Trying to make them somewhat different than each other with the Highlights.

How I did this was I did a Grey base for 5 Beards and a Brown Base for the other 5, then a wash. Think in total I used about 10 different paints to highlight each of them and it worked really well.

Here they are:

Only thing that bugged me is that there's a few mould lines that I couldn't get rid of, as seems to be the case with Metal Minis, they are an absolute sod to clean up and I didn't spend anymore time doing the flesh, however this will change in the future!

Thanks.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
Those miners are rad! Makes me want to paint up mine however they are plastic. I

Recasting Searing Doom to blow Malekith The Eternity Douchebag off the face of the table T1

That was funny 👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
Are those the old school Miners? Really great effect on their helmets! :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Those are indeed the old Miners, thanks for the comments plenty more to come.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Great Dwarfs - the blue colour scheme works really well for them. For some reason its not something often seen (too elfish?). The photo of the battle is just fabulous!  :Ohmy:
cheers,
Lee

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 06:54:31 PM »
That might be it @R.E Lee, the first Dwarfs I painted in 6th were Blue so that's why I went for it again and my Empire and High Elves are Green so don't really want to paint them that colour again.

Currently doing a Bolt Thrower, hoping to finish it by the weekend.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 04:22:41 AM »
Surely red is less common, because thats generally the colour of chaos dwarves..?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »
Update:

So things have been a bit hectic and with a change up of my technique, models are taking a lot longer to complete, I've no doubt I'll speed up eventually. For todays update I've finished a Bolt Thrower and 1 Crew Member. The other 2 Crew are taking some time to finish, once they are done I'll post them up. I am really pleased with the result of the extra time taken on the Crew Member, looks a lot cleaner.

Bolt Thrower:

Crew Member:

Still on my list to complete is:

Ltd Edition BSB
BSB
Mordheim Trollslayer
Engineer
Thane
King Alrik Ranulffsson and Shieldbearers
Belegar Ironhammer
Runesmith
Runesmith
Mordheim Treasure Hunter

Anvil of Doom

Crossbowmen x10
Warriors x20

More updates to come!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Sweet! Crewman just needs a table and a draft to complete the perfection 😸
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »
Impressive crewman, love the colors. :)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »
Since I posted the Bolt Thrower, I decided to crack on with the rest of the crew and managed to finish them in 1 evening. Really happy with the results, I'm also painting the Ltd. Edition BSB but might move back onto the Warriors and get them all sprayed and get the bulk of the army complete.

Here's the rest of the crew!

Crew Member 2:

Crew Member 3:

Bolt Thrower and Whole Crew:

Dwarf Army - What's been painted so far:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:03 PM »
That crew and gun are dead amazing. Nice dark colours.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 01:04:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments, helps me keep the motivation up.

Another quick update. For some reason, everytime I say I'll be moving onto something else I do something completely different.

So for this update instead of Warriors or BSB or Anvil....it's the Mordheim Troll Slayer, I had a bit of an itch to paint while the FA Cup Final was on so cracked on with it and a few hours later and many many flesh layers I finished him. I quite enjoyed painting the model, I've had it since it came out but never bothered to paint it (along with many other models).

Here he is: (I swear one day, I'll get some decent looking photos and lighting)

Any comments/criticisms are welcome! Enjoy

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
As with all Mordheim sculpts, this one's truly gorgeous. I love the paintjob. You certainly did him justice. :eusa_clap:

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
Looks like he could strike fear into a troll. Great job!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last updated. I've been a bit sick and then enjoying the British Summer (it only lasts about 3 days so you gotta enjoy it while you can), so haven't had much motivation to paint at all. However I've picked up a few bits for the Army, I've really come around to liking the 6th Edition Metals and probably looking to do a complete collection. I've just starting the search for some Doomseekers from the Storm of Chaos era (the great times of Fantasy).

Anyhow here's some pickups I made recently, been after the Flame Cannon for ages and to get in box and sealed along with the Thunderers and extra Miners, I'm super happy with and paid a fair price for them from a nice Swedish gent. The Thunderers I wasn't sure I wanted, previously when I had the Dwarf Army in 6th, I hated the models but seeing them now I really like them (plus I have a distaste for the new Plastic Thunderers which I really don't like at all).

Onto some painting! I finished the Limited Edition Battle Standard Bearer, this model was a sod to paint, the hair goes all over the model and covers some parts making it awkward painting for myself. I'm OK with how it turned out in the end but I definitely felt like I could've done a better job. The model also falls over so easy being metal and weighted because of the Standard, which is really annoying. I'll have to solve that at some point.

Here it is:

I've still got a fair few Characters to paint and the rest of my list keeps getting longer, I also picked up some Long Drongs Slayer Pirates which need cleaning up. The Crossbowmen and Warriors are forever on my painting desk, I will get round to them it's just that painting 30+ models at once doesn't appeal to me at the moment. We'll see what happens, I'll prolly crack on with them soon enough I just need a bit of motivation one day.

Anyhow enjoy!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 02:28:52 AM »
I love the metal thunderers and miners too. Great models. I like your BSB. Very striking!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
Metal dwarves are best dwarves and the 6th edition was the last time, when I've really enjoyed Warhammer Fantasy, alongside the 2nd edition WFRP. Great job! :happy:

Gneisenau

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »
Lovely dwarves!

Lately, I was considering buying a huge amount of EM4 dwarves and starting my Dwarf army (or just some mercenaries for my Empire forces). :P
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
Update:

After a month or so break due to working a lot and not much else, I'm back on the painting train (somewhat) and trying to get some momentum to keep painting and updating the blog.

Anyhow I've had these Dwarf Crossbowmen sat on my painting table for some time, in fact I did them when I did the first batch of Warriors when I started this Army, it's just that the Crossbows themselves are a sod to clean and paint and there's nicer models which I wanted to move onto, but I've finally done 5 and here to show them, one thing I am working on still however is the Shields as I prefer to do them in large batches.

Dwarf Crossbowmen:

Onto the good stuff! I still was adding models to the Army but not painting them (the classic collector) and I picked up some real nice bits for the Army. I've been seeking the Makaisson Goblin Hewer for a while as well as the Doomseekers, they give me some great memories of playing 6th Edition and the Storm of Chaos Campaign (along with some disgustingly beardy SoC lists, Seafearer list anyone?).

To go along with the Thunderers I picked up last month, I added the Thunderer Command and a few more Thunderers to make a large 20+ man unit and my final pick ups are Leitpold the Black (The Empire Hero) and the Dwarf Command, both from Forgeworld, these are hands down some of my fave minis Forgeworld does and it's a shame that they will likely go out of production soon.

My final picture is of my Painting Area, which I needed to re-arrange because the I was running out of room with the amount of miniatures I had painted, as you can see there's a fair stack of minis that are awaiting to be painted.

Enjoy!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
Re: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
I love this project. Your painting is superb, especially on the fleshy parts. Splendid! :::cheers:::

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
Re: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2017, 11:17:20 AM »
Thanks Xathrodox86, it's tough to keep motivation going especially when I don't have time to paint.

Here's a small WIP Update though.

Quick Update:

I've been bogged down with work again and had no time to paint, however I had one evening with about 2 Hours to spare so started cracking on with Belegar Ironhammer. It's a great model, initially I didn't like the Back Banner but now I've come round to liking it a lot.

This is still very much WIP but I'm happy with the progression, the Cloak and the Armour are getting closer to completion with some final highlights to be done. The Beard being Red was to make it distinct from my other Lords and I really wanted some contrast with the model, he also suitably can be called the Red King.

Belegar Ironhammer/Dwarf Lord/'The Red King'

Hopefully I'll get him finished this weekend, I'm also wanting to get the Thunderers started.