home

Author Topic: Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
I need to watch Predator 2 again
I was listening to a bad movie podcast episode about it and was overjoyed when i received a shoutout from the hosts for sharing a naughty bit of trivia.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 06:28:56 PM »
I watched "Blade Runner" for the first time (The Final Cut version). Wow, that was an amazing movie. And that ending too! I feel like it sucker punched me, but in a good way. I am surprised its taken me this long to finally see the movie. I feel like I need to watch it again. I know there is a sequel, but I am worried it may taint the intentional ambiguity of this ending. Is it weird that I feel like it should have been 30 minutes to an hour longer to develop the protagonists a bit more?
I haven't watched it in so long, might be time for a re-watch, and maybe follow up with the sequel.  If I recall, the movies are quite different.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 10:53:33 PM »
I need to watch Predator 2 again

I think I'm one of the few people that actually liked that movie. Its a fun romp.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 11:08:10 PM »
I watched "Blade Runner" for the first time (The Final Cut version). Wow, that was an amazing movie. And that ending too! I feel like it sucker punched me, but in a good way. I am surprised its taken me this long to finally see the movie. I feel like I need to watch it again. I know there is a sequel, but I am worried it may taint the intentional ambiguity of this ending. Is it weird that I feel like it should have been 30 minutes to an hour longer to develop the protagonists a bit more?
I haven't watched it in so long, might be time for a re-watch, and maybe follow up with the sequel.  If I recall, the movies are quite different.

If you watch 2049 I'd highly recommend watching the 3 accompanying shorts as well, before the film. They were sanctioned by the director and production team. They aren't essential viewing but they just pad out bits of the 'in-between' years between original and sequel.

2022 the anime one is particularly good and is the longest of the 3.  :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »
Not seen those, good to know, thanks! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 03:01:37 PM »
I recently watched Robocop 2 for the first time in several years. The theme with the Robocop franchise seems to be that every film isn't as good as its predessessor.
I don't think I could bring myself to watch the 3rd one or the 2014 remake again though

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 11:27:51 AM »

Obviously make sure to watch them in order...

2022 - The Blackout
2036 - Nexus Dawn
2048 - Nowhere to Run

2049 - The Film!

As said previously, I personally think 2022 is incredible. I've never watched any real anime before but thought this was majestic.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
Hope I can get a round tuit first. :icon_wink:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 03:24:18 PM »

Obviously make sure to watch them in order...

2022 - The Blackout
2036 - Nexus Dawn
2048 - Nowhere to Run

2049 - The Film!

As said previously, I personally think 2022 is incredible. I've never watched any real anime before but thought this was majestic.

And Adult Swim has announced that they're doing a series called Blade Runner: Black Lotus.

I'll probably continue over in the Literature Thread since the very next day after seeing Blade Runner, I had a 12 hour drive from Mass to Michigan and I got the audiobook "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and wow is that a different story. Like in so many ways. There's a handful of similar characters names and 2-3 similar scenes but it is by and far its own story with completely different characters. The author (Phillip K. Dick) got to read the script for Blade Runner before he passed away and he noted that not only did he like it, but both the movie and book would complement each other. Like they could exist in the same world at the same time and support each other.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 03:30:15 PM »
Hmmm ... another book to get around to reading. :icon_neutral: :icon_lol:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
I tried watching American Ninja last night. I gave up

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 05:05:57 AM »

Oh man, I appreciate your spirit of adventure but those movies (they made several) were trash even when they were current.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 01:46:08 PM »

Oh man, I appreciate your spirit of adventure but those movies (they made several) were trash even when they were current.
'A cannon production' was a sign it was bound to be bad. I kept laughing at it. Tonally; it was identical to an episode of the old G.I.JOE cartoon but more cartonny

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »
I am inklined to watch "Emma" med Kate Beckinsdale again.
Yes, I am something of a Jane Austen fan.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 09:14:56 PM »

Not sure how I feel about Jane Austen, but I can get on board with being a Kate Beckinsale fan :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2021, 01:30:05 AM »
Not sure how I feel about Jane Austen, but I can get on board with being a Kate Beckinsale fan :::cheers:::
I'm  on board with both. :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »
I caught Deep Rising the other day. Its even dumber than I remember it

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2021, 02:21:23 PM »
Saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night.
It was ok. Mix of genres. LA Noire detective movie, british paced quirky movie and something else like a Kevin Klein movie.
Don’t think I will remember it in a year or two.

Saw Tenet 2 weeks ago.
It was ok also. I feel like Nolan was too caught up in some of the visual affects that it distracted from the story not having any twists that weren’t predictable.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2021, 09:48:11 PM »
I remember getting home late from work one night and having a choice between Transformers 2, Hobbit 3 or Police academy 4. I chose Police academy 4

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2021, 10:59:11 PM »
Those are the nights I turn off the TV and find something better to do.  :icon_wink: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2021, 04:07:27 AM »
A bit far fetched, although I did enjoy it ... "T-34" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aA0dVzCvn0

Had to turn the CC on, to read the subtitles, it is a film made in Russian and German.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2021, 02:10:58 PM »
^ I saw that one recently.
In one of my Russian front books there is the story of a lone KV-1 ransacking a Luftwaffe base and receiving countless A-T rounds before it was finally destoryed

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2021, 10:44:34 PM »
Its a great popcorn flick imo. Russia is pushing out a lot of real bombastic war stuff that they call similarly themed to saving private ryan.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2021, 05:23:37 PM »
I watched Scarlet Street (1945), a famous Noir movie. Chris Cross, a bank cashier, goes down a different street than he usually does after work and finds a woman getting beat up by a man. Chris runs over, hits the man with his umbrella, and saves the girl. The girl (Kitty) entertains Chris for a time as a thank you, and tries to get to know him. Both Chris and Kitty makes huge assumptions about each other which leads to many twists and turns and ultimately both their downfalls. The ending is definitely noir, but there's a few moments in the movie that seemed a bit off to me. Maybe its the style of story telling back in the 40s, or maybe it was just the writers way of getting things to happen, but there were 3 moments with Chris that seemed like it was either out of character or was being too naive for a 40+ year old and 1 with Kitty that seemed blatantly obvious but she just ignores it or chooses not to see it.

Spoiler:

1) Maybe I'm just cynical but the way Kitty talks to Chris at the bar when the first met would have tipped me off, drunk or not, that this woman doesn't like you, but is just being nice.

2) No one, in their right mind, would let someone else take credit for their art, especially if it was lucrative. The fact that Chris went along with this farce felt forced, or maybe his impostor syndrome and lack of self confidence is just that bad.

3) The murder seems out of character for Chris at that point. Maybe if we saw him have a temper, or yell at Kitty or something to make him commit the murder, it would have felt more authentic than just being insulted by the "woman he loves," which he puts up with enough at home with his own toxic relationship. Maybe while she was insulting him we could also hear, in Chris' mind his wife yelling at him from earlier too and we just see him snap. That would have felt more believable.

4) It was pretty plain to Kitty that Johnny wasn't really interested in her, and was just stringing her along to get money and sex out of her. It was pretty obvious, but I guess love is blind and she loved Johnny so much it blinded her from it. Maybe she was concussed since the movie makes it pretty clear he beats her on the regular and she seems to think that's normal, even though her roommate tells her its anything but normal. Then again I may be calling the kettle black here.

End of spoilers

The twists in the movie were pretty fun and felt unexpected but were all well foreshadowed. It was entertaining, but the ending is bitter for pretty much everyone involved. Our protagonist is left haunted and ruined by the end of the film. Whats interesting is there were so many times along the way to ruination that you, as the audience, could see Chris or even Kitty's "happily ever after" ending just around the corner.  But they kept making one bad choice after another making their own situations worse and worse. It really snowballed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:29:00 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2021, 12:37:39 PM »
Its a great popcorn flick imo. Russia is pushing out a lot of real bombastic war stuff that they call similarly themed to saving private ryan.
I say we need more movies like that. I'd much rather watch a war film that has depressing tones with endless gore rather than an over the top action movie