home

Author Topic: Post pics of your hobby painting area  (Read 1440 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Post pics of your hobby painting area
« on: July 05, 2023, 12:04:20 PM »
Hi, anyone care to post pics of your painting area? I have seen peeps post pics on other sites and I thought it would be interesting, and maybe even provide some organizations ideas for others.

I don't really have anything fancy myself, but over the weekend built a simple rack for my paints and it turned out so nice that I am so excited about painting again. But my overall set up isn't very elaborate like I have seen from others.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Post pics of your hobby painting area
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 02:59:28 AM »
My hobby desk is often described as 'organised chaos' and no, that isnt a pun
A messy hobby desk is a good hobby desk

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 08:08:46 AM »
Yep, not elaborate here either.   I use a regular desk that I use for most anything, a low roll away cart for laying out the essentials, and a magnifying light attached to the desk.  This is located in a living room area, yet could shift into the hobby room, and usually do for things like making scenery.  Even the hobby room isn't fancy with a big table 5"x7" with storage space underneath, a pair of closets, a few shelves, a small extra table that has some projects on it.  Its all fairly basic and relatively minimal.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 06:53:15 PM »
I do most of my hobbying in the kitchen. There is a counter which maintains, in various stages of disorder, whatever I am currently working on. I tend to work mostly at the kitchen table though

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 12:46:18 PM »
So I reorganized my set up and I am so excited. For most of my hobby, I have kept all of my hobby supplies tucked away in a tackle box. I used to have a big one that they don't make anymore, but it got stolen, so I had to fall back on another I wasn't crazy about, but I have been unable to replace it since they just dont make tackle boxes like they used to.

One of the issues I realized I was having is that when I stored things, I would forget what I had, and end up buying duplicates. Or just hobby supplies I wouldn't use because they were tucked away and I wouldn't bother going to look for them.

So this rack I made has changed everything. Its gotten all of my GW paint out for me to see and keep track of, and freed up my other area for more space for brushes and all. I know this sounds really basic lol but I can't believe how much this has changed things. I've also been spending more time watching videos on painting and picked up some good ideas from some of them - like saving my best brushes for specific work and not to use them all the time. I don't know why I never thought of this before. I have kind of given up on expensive brushes since I beat the hell out of them, but now have learned to take better care of them, and use cheap brushes for basic work. I found a great set of cheap brushes on Amazon that I can use till they deteriorate and then replace them with another set since they are so cheap.

I am so excited about painting again I have vowed not to building anything new until I paint the kits I have built and primed and are sitting on a shelf waiting to be painted. I really feel like a born again painter.

I really can't say enough what youtube has done for the hobby. I have been carrying poor habits for years because I just didn't know any better, and now there are vids on tutorials, product reviews (which is a really big deal for me), and then a bunch of lore stuff to listen to when you are painting. Its pretty awesome. I don't know why this has taken so long for me to get here but I am pretty excited now.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 02:30:15 PM »
I guess what I am trying to say is that your hobby area can provide inspiration.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 09:48:09 PM »
My studio clean and organized...

My studio today

My Airbrush Station..  :icon_sad:

I loved setting up a permanent painting station, but it's clashing with my home office setup.  I have three work computers and my daughters workstation in here.  I put up shelving to move the books and my boxes of models.  I'm also pondering my Empire model collection. I don't know if  I'll paint 1/4 of what I have, I may end up putting it up on Ebay. Wife tells me to wait for Old World news before I do anything but I'm leaning on selling a lot of it off. 

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 02:11:03 PM »
@ Grutch
Is that a Macross Plus Valkyrie i see?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 11:10:12 PM »
Lol, I still can't post pics for some reason. Used to be able to copy from WP and insert them in the brackets. Not happening. Can post them on the AoS site (bad dice) but not here.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.