home

Author Topic: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!  (Read 66878 times)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:40 PM »
Im already liking the concept, in my opinion you don't see nearly enough plump and over the hill figures being converted  :-D consider this Idea stolen.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Spent a good part of the past hour drooling on the boards, the kitbashes, the sculpting, the painting, the vision.

Please, give us more!

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 02:45:58 PM »
Looking good - can't wait to see that sketch being converted to a miniature!
cheers,
Lee

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »
The sketch and concept are spectacular,  no surprise coming from you at this point. :icon_wink:

Im already liking the concept, in my opinion you don't see nearly enough plump and over the hill figures being converted  :-D consider this Idea stolen.

Hear hear! That's a real hero, my money's always on the fat and bald bada**. :biggriin:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
Great looking project  :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »
Thank guys!

Work has started on fat old Jan, I'm having a BLAST converting him, even  at this very early wip stage.

He is turning out exactly as I planned, I hope to find some times to keep going on him tomorrow since it's being incredibly enjoyable!

Next phase will include polishing the breastplate, chiseling a twin tailed mermaid onto it (emblem of Marienburg), and then move on to the arms (bulking him a bit with some shoulderpads, but fear not, nothing similar to a Stormcast one! :-P) and the details, like the hat and the curly wig (which will give hime the fop touch he needs)...

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »
That's so awesome!  :::cheers:::
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:47 AM »
I really like the sword, and I'm looking forward to seeing that mermaid.

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »
Your work is exquisite. You are a talented artist, sir.

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »
Thanks guys!
I really like the sword, and I'm looking forward to seeing that mermaid.
Doc J, the sword is a very simple conversion, just used the militia arm with the armour and the saber and substitute it with a greatsword blade cut above the leather shaft. The original plan was to give the impression of a rapier or a fancier weapon but in the end I quite like the look of the heavier blade, looks like something a mariner might use, and I think it fits the fatass better.
For the mermaid I'm sorry to disappoint you but I abandoned the idea... The reason is very simple, I did sculpt one on sunday but it turned out that the details above it (the leather belt for the pistol's ammunitions and the lace around his neck) covered most of it and made it unrecognisable... A good sculptor must admit to himself that sometimes less is more (often) and so I decided to leave the mermaid aside and go on with the original plan as shown in the sketch. I am currently sculpting the ammunitions and the hair/wig, I hope I'll be able to post progresses soon!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »
He's looking good!  Where'd the head come from?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2015, 11:48:32 AM »
Thanks!
The head is from the militia set, the one with the bandana on his head, but I changed it pretty consistently, adding some fat around the cheeks and neck, mustaches and the eyebrows! Then I transformed the bandana into a helmet and added a hat (currently wip)

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »

For the mermaid I'm sorry to disappoint you but I abandoned the idea.
[/quote]

Consider me fully disappointed you suck......but I think you made a good choice with going with a heavier sword blade, fighting with a rapier would require a dexterity and finesse that this guy wouldn't have. Anyway an old mercenary like him would probably want a sword with some heft to it anyway. It reminds me of some of the straight blade heavy cavalry or dragoon swords.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:22:47 PM by Doc J »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 12:14:50 PM »
Wow!

You might consider adding fat to his thighs too. And maybe lowering his codpiece, and adding some girth that shows under his breastplate. Because those General legs are rather long and lessen the fat image.

Just my twopence.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »
Wow!

You might consider adding fat to his thighs too. And maybe lowering his codpiece, and adding some girth that shows under his breastplate. Because those General legs are rather long and lessen the fat image.

Just my twopence.  :-)

-Z

Thanks Zygmund, really appreciate you comment and suggestions... I did work on his legs and tights, I will show you some pics as soon as possible! UNfortunately I've been slowed down by real life recently, but I hope to be able to dedicate some time to him in the next couple of weeks!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
Thanks!
The head is from the militia set, the one with the bandana on his head, but I changed it pretty consistently, adding some fat around the cheeks and neck, mustaches and the eyebrows! Then I transformed the bandana into a helmet and added a hat (currently wip)
I'd say ya changed it around quite a bit! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu bràth!
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 03:07:13 AM »
Wonderful stuff here. The little details like the shield against the post give the buildings so much character.   :::cheers:::
ultima ratio regum

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 09:34:24 AM »
As usually thank you very much for the kind words guys,
Life has been a bit of a b**ch of late, so work on the marienburger commission are pretty much on hold... I did progress a bt further with the captain though, so I wanted to share the advancements with you and listen to your ideas/chriticisms.

The ammunition belt is still wip of course, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the skirt came out, it bulks him up and gives him a marienburg feeling IMHO.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
There were a couple of fat Mordhiem Reiklander captains if you need some additional ideas for overweight WHFB scale humans. Your guy is great though, don't get me wrong. He doesn't need help.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
Looking very good!

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
I thought you were pretty much done and then you add more  :-o the skirts the rivets on the helmet the breastplate very nice. Do you plan on making anymore unusual figures tall, short, skinny, young, or old ?

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »
the captain is looking good. steveb

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
I thought you were pretty much done and then you add more  :-o the skirts the rivets on the helmet the breastplate very nice. Do you plan on making anymore unusual figures tall, short, skinny, young, or old ?

You know, I didn't think about that at all! The idea really tickles me , I might discuss it with the client! I tell you, sculpting this fatass is being really enjoyable, something different from the usual muscular brute for a change, so I assume that doing more of this kind of conversions would actually be pretty interesting!
Yesterday I received in the mail some Empire goodies form an unnamed benefactor, among which a metal Marius Leitdorf (new version)... Since my army bg is firmly set in the aftermath of his death I was thinking what to do with the model and I decided to go with a similar approach and convert a fat mounted general, maybe Marius' spoiled cousin Konrad from the novel Sword of Justice. The sculpt is pretty bulky on its own (something that always put me off slightly) so I think it would be the perfect candidate for another "fat experiment"!

Offline toubotouneuk

• Members
  • Aille spique angliche véri izili.
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »
Splendide!

You changed the horrible and dully Empire General on Foot in a very good veteran captain.
Where do you find your inspiration ?

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
Where do you find your inspiration ?

That's actually an interesting question!As somebody who love talking about my process I could go on for hours but if I have to try to summarize it I'd say that the great majority of my inspiration still comes from the wonderful game Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st and 2nd editions) which to me still stands undefeated as the best game I have ever played. If I have to pick up a boardgame then I would undoubtly say Mordheim which represents the peak of GW production IMHO. In terms of art I guess it's pretty obvious that I refer to John Blanche, Ian Miller, Karl Kopinski, Paul Dainton and Dave Gallagher as my main inspirations, I really struggle to get the newer vision of the art department I'm afraid.
Last but not least is the work of painters and hobbists like Jackob Nielsen, Jeff Vader and the Punk Moth crew (there are soo many others but these are the names I can think of now) and of course the great painters and modellers in forums like warhammer empire and warseer.
I thought I could quit the hobby or take a break from it so many times but the work of people like them always drags me back with a mad passion I can't deny! ::heretic::