home

Author Topic: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!  (Read 66738 times)

Offline hagen88

• Members
Small Mordheim interlude, with table!
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
Hi all!

I have NOT been very productive at work today, and it would feel hypocrit to start doing something useful at 5 in the afternoon, so I decided to track down some pics of my mordheim table (really bad pics I'm afraid) an post them here.

I am opening another thread just because this really does not belong to my Averland nor Bretonnia plogs, it's just meant to show you guys what lies in my Turin's house basement!

Here what I've done by now:

I started to work on a mordheim table board last year before graduating (neglecting my thesis of course) and I was very pleased with the result... Then I realised I just completed 1/4 of the gaming board and I lost my courage.
What you see here is the gaming board so far... I initially considered to build four tiles of 50x50 cm and this is the first one. The tile is made of foam and the cobblestone has been drawn with a pen (I still feel the pain in my a** remembering it) and then painted (no sprays of course)... The buildings where designed and then modeled taking inspiration from typical german/holland medieval architecture with the usual amount of fantasy, then I applied the damages of a fireburn and years of abandonment.
As always in Mordheim I feel like it's all a matter of details n the end so I tried to push myself into adding more and more of them: skeletons hanging from rooftop beams, shields casually lying on a corner, old theatrical pamphlets and wanted signs, murales made with blood, etc... Oh and barrels! Barrels EVERYWHERE!

Then in another madness attack I decided it was not enough to have a regular board but I also wanted the possibility to play inside the sewers of Mordheim! So in a crazed weekend frenesy I built a 100x100cm board showing the underground of mordheim... Not much actually, just some foam engraved with a pen and some texture and raw thatch here and there (Oh and barrels! Barrels EVERYWHERE!) but in the end the result was nice enough and I'm sure we will have great games on it once I'll be able to complete also the upper part of it, which will take a LOOOONG while I'm afraid since none of my friends is willing to help me! But here it is:

Offline hagen88

• Members
Re: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »
And finally some members of my new band: MARIENBURGERS!

These three fella were great fun to put together... I know they don't exactly match the esthetic of the marienburg merc of Mordheim but I wanted to go for something different... Source of inspiration were the movies Barry Lindon (must be one of my favourites) and the greatest mean character of all times, Tim Roth 'Archibald Cunning' in Rob Roy!
I wanted to represent a band of duellists, fancy dressed and perfumed but under wigs and silk they are covered in scars and as tough as any other warrior in the town...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
Cool, and don't forget to do more and then show us! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »
So here goes my Reiklanders: The wolves of Reikwald

First of all, let me introduce you Wilhelm "der Metzger", my Mercenary captain and a true Reikland patriot

He is obviously inspired from a famous cinema "villain", and I converted him to resemble the greatest actor of all times, could you guess who are we talking about?

His Lieutenant, Sergeant Krantz "the Bear" of Teufelbruck

I am especially proud of the twin tailed comet tatoo on his face

Then we have the champion and duellist of the mob, Archibald, nicknamed "Peacock" after his pompous style and manners

And finally the youngblood, Dieter "Marienburg" (inspired by the same movie as the captain, who will catch the reference?)

Then moving on to the troops, the Reikwald Ghosts, my marksmen

The two Helmgart brothers, Odo and Berthold, so poor they have to use some helmets as bucklers

And finally the newest addiction to the band: Iljia, the kislevite swordsman

Here they are, I finished them around one year ago and I am currently waiting for my friends to finish their warbands so that they can finally see the table!

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »
He is obviously inspired from a famous cinema "villain", and I converted him to resemble the greatest actor of all times, could you guess who are we talking about?

Allow me to answer that question by a visual expression of my admiration for your work:

Do you have a close-up picture of the marksman on the right?

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 02:18:24 AM »
Oh that is bloody wonderful!  Please continue with your board and warbands.  :::cheers:::

And if you get the time share with the folks on another forum as well, there are many fellow lunatics to encourage you:
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:07:33 PM by Von Kurst »
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Booah

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
I don't think I could ever get away with greeting a full scenery board like this but, wow their is so much individuality to it. Great job.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
I think I've already commented on your fantastic Reiklanders on warseer. Your marienburgers are superb as well. Your conversions are stunning and very dynamic and you really manage to make your miniatures appear as 'one piece'.

There are surprisingly few replies to this thread, so I think people are somehow not scrolling down far enough - you should probably put some photos of your miniatures in your first post.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
I think I've already commented on your fantastic Reiklanders on warseer. Your marienburgers are superb as well. Your conversions are stunning and very dynamic and you really manage to make your miniatures appear as 'one piece'.

There are surprisingly few replies to this thread, so I think people are somehow not scrolling down far enough - you should probably put some photos of your miniatures in your first post.

In fairness, I fainted after the other two threads and just came around now to see this  :icon_biggrin:

In all seriousness, I'd love to have a game of Mordheim on that board. Love the details, even down to the little shield. Take a bow. Take a bow.
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Online madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
Great job!! I m amazed  :eusa_clap:

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »
That whole board is amazing! You've put in such vivid details, the pamphlets,  the shields, the fis-wait... no fish!? What madness is this!  ::heretic::

They better be in those barrels! :-P

Just kidding,  awesome work.  :::cheers:::
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
It is all amazing work, those marienburgers are absolutely spot-on. Very jealous of your sculpting skills.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
Well done! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Franz Volker

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »
Your work is absolutely fantastic! Archibald looks like he's stepped out of the cover of Brunner the Bounty Hunter.
I've saved all the pictures for future inspiration.  :::cheers:::
It's pretty frustrating to look at what you've accomplished, actually.  :-P

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »
There are surprisingly few replies to this thread, so I think people are somehow not scrolling down far enough -

Maybe they are just flummoxed.  :-)

By the way...

Then we have the champion and duellist of the mob, Archibald, nicknamed "Peacock" after his pompous style and manners

...is that a "Rob Roy" reference?

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
Incredible! The colors, greenstuffing and everything looks amazing! Well done! :)
"A leader that leads from the rear takes it in the rear!"

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
Great work! I wish I had your green stuff skills.

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
Thank you guys, you are all too kind!

That whole board is amazing! You've put in such vivid details, the pamphlets,  the shields, the fis-wait... no fish!? What madness is this!  ::heretic::
They better be in those barrels! :-P

I'm sure they are Baron, but I might fetch some and use them for my marienburgers... actually they would fit pretty nicely since the troopers will be seamen themed.

Oh that is bloody wonderful!  Please continue with your board and warbands.  :::cheers:::
And if you get the time share with the folks on another forum as well, there are many fellow lunatics to encourage you:
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/

I know them very well Von Kurst, some of their works were of great inspiration for me! Thanks for pointing that out, I will!

Lol, I was away the weekend and I was actually surprised to see how many comments you guys left, and I just started posting on this forum!

Allow me to answer that question by a visual expression of my admiration for your work:

Do you have a close-up picture of the marksman on the right?

Yes!! You got it sir, not only the character but even the expression!

...is that a "Rob Roy" reference?

Of course it is! As it is most of my marienburger band, even if the guy with the eyepatch was done as a tribute to the Chevalier de Balibary of the movie Barry Lindon, another one of my favourite movies!

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
Please model a Tim Roth Marienburger!
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline toubotouneuk

• Members
  • Aille spique angliche véri izili.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:35:33 PM »
I really like your miniatures. Full of personnality, clearly better than GW.

I ask you an advice : you begin to work GS as soon as you affix it on the miniature, or you wait for some time before doing it ?

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 05:29:57 PM »
Hi touboteno...tutoubo... Hi! :biggriin:
Thanks for the compliment, although my inspiration comes right from GW products, only not modern ones unfortunately.
When I work my greenstuff I do it straight after having applied it to the mini, which is immediately after having mixed the components together, without waiting... If I want to have a smooth surface I just put more blue instead f yellow, that means I have less troubles with the sticky part (the yellow one). I always use to deep my instrument in clean water when i want to obtain a smooth result, it really makes a difference!
Hope this was helpful!

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
Hi guys! I have some interesting Mordheim related news!

I've been contacted by a very special client to work on a commission: a whole Marienburg warband to be done in the same style as the three fellas I posted above!
Normally I don't accept commissions (my hobby time is limited and I don't like painting for money) but this one sounded really interesting and promising! I always wanted to keep on working on my marienburgers but I always struggled to find the motivation and now that will push me to finish them! As for now we are still discussing the detail, but I decided to move a bit further and started sketching an idea for a Marienburger captain:

Meet captain Jan Van Hoogen, commander of the Company of the Golden Mermaid, better known as "the greedy wenches".

Jan started his life as Johan Hagensson, son a courtesan in Wurtbad. Aged twelve he was sold to a mercenary company, and during the next 25 years he fought his way to the higher ranks, finally becoming a condottiere and gaining an ill reputation during the civil wars of the Age of the Three Emperors, selling his services to whomever was paying better and never swearing allegiance to a single pretender. After years of battles and treacherous conduct he finally retired to Marienburg where he used his blood stained wealth to buy himself a place among the raising merchant guilds of the city. He had a plan to grow old and wealthy in Marienburg but after some years he bit off more then he could chew and got involved in financing a risky expedition to Lustria which went really bad and cost him almost all his money.
Desperate to recover his fortunes he realises he just have one chance left: going back to his previous life as a soldier, squeezing back in his old armour and using all the little money he has left to hire a small mercenary company contacting some of his old "loyal" comrades, murderous rapist all of them. He had heard of Mordheim and the magic stones which seems to be turning mad everybody in the Empire and decides a last good plunder might turn the wheel of fortune back in his favour.

So instead of a grizzled and muscular veteran he is now an old, embittered and greedy fat man, who's desperate for money and doesn't give a horse sh**t about the lives of his men and certainly not about the ones of their opponents. He's definitely not a chubby fellow with whom you'd like to share a drink down at the tavern!

I'll start converting him as soon as I can and make sure to post it in here if it's of any interest to you guys!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:15:51 PM by hagen88 »

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
Oh yes indeed.  steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »
I second that! :::cheers:::

Offline legendariopaladin

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
Wow man! that game board is glorious! Really well done, and you put a lot of attention on details! Really good!
And your minis are really well painted. I´m following this post since now until the end haha.

Thank you for show us such a good terrain and paintjob.