home

Author Topic: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!  (Read 66498 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2015, 09:02:12 PM »
very very cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:54 AM »
Good Morning Mordheim!

I finally found some time to finish the captain for the Marienburg commission! I've got to say, I'm pretty please with how he turned out, really close to the original sketch!

And a quick family picture of the warband at this stage:

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »
Unbelievable. *looks at his greenstuffed bases and cries while setting them on fire*
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »
A true Master at work! :::cheers:::
Behold as Rome burns, as do I
īTis not the last empire to crumble

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
Beautiful models, I wish you would consider sculpting some from scratch and casting them!

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
Those are fantastic!  Your skill and talent knows no bounds, good sir. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 04:55:56 AM »
That's  what I call a warband - lovely!  :::cheers:::
cheers,
Lee

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
Thank you guys! Now it's time for the youngbloods, I hope to start tonight on one of them!   :happy:

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
Boooo...... thumbs down. just kidding, I love the fat mans cash box,he wouldn't trust anyone from how the fluff describes him. About the youngbloods are you going to give us something unusual, rather than the tough looking teens armed to the teeth we usually get, I hope to see some skinny little dweebs with daggers or maybe even a fat boy Jr.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2015, 02:04:53 AM »
Beautiful models, I wish you would consider sculpting some from scratch and casting them!
I second that. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »

Thanks! It's strange since I received the same comment a number of times lately. As I said, I never considered it for three reasons:

1- I don't know anybody or have any contact with a company which casts miniatures.
2- I reckon there is a BIG difference between sculpting miniatures for yourself and sculpting them for actual production... You would have to have a solid understanding of molds and casting technologies, be able to work digitally and in different scales (which, believe it or not, is much more difficult than 28 mm if you are not used to) and in general it works very differently from what I've always done.
3- as I said this is my hobby, I try to avoid to make it a job not because I dislike the money (god knows if I need them to live a decent life in London) but because is my only escape from life and work stress! I'm enjoying this commission but I already turned down others because they wouldn't let me dedicate to my projects and that's not my idea of hobby.

That said, I would lie if I told you I'm not considering to produce some minis in the future. I always dreamt (like most of us I suppose) to create my own game complete with bg, fluff and my own range of minis, and I always admire the work of people like that guy from Kingdom Death and the ability to launch a Kickstart campaign and actually make it work! I just think times are not mature for it (or maybe I'm not). In this moment I've got enough going on in my life to make it difficult to find a couple of hours per week for my hobby and I don't want to use them for a project which would require my full energies and attention.

Boooo...... thumbs down. just kidding, I love the fat mans cash box,he wouldn't trust anyone from how the fluff describes him. About the youngbloods are you going to give us something unusual, rather than the tough looking teens armed to the teeth we usually get, I hope to see some skinny little dweebs with daggers or maybe even a fat boy Jr.

Hehe, thanks Docj, really interesting advice! I'm not sure what I've got in my mind for the youngbloods will meet your expectations but they surely won't look like tough guys, that much I can assure you! I started working on one of them yesterday and got the frame done, pretty happy about it. he is more like a posh and green duellist, fresh out from a fancy gentlemen's academy and without any understanding of how grim and ferocius Mordheim really is. Think of him as a young dandy noble/merchant's son who thinks he is better than anyone else and will soon learn a tough, tough lesson about not wearing silk and fancy shoes in the streets of the City of Damned.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
I don't know if you have come across oathsworm minatures but he recently started up scultpting and casting his own minatures and has had great success via I think three kickstarters - if you are inclined to try it might be worth asking him for tips as it's a kickstarter project I would back ;)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
My undertsanding is the upfront cost of casting figures can be a good bit, yet exploring the idea could be good.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »
We have two members at least - White Knight and Westfalia - who are producing their own miniatures.

Now I know both 'design' the concepts and then get sculptors to sculpt them, but I am sure they would give you (possibly privately ) some idea of costs and what is involved in producing figures.

Certainly plastics is an expensive initial outlay, producing the moulds, but not sure about metal or resin ( or plasrin  :engel: ).
I have seen a metal figure producing spinning machine which involved a circular mould of around 10 figures, and I assume is easier to set up.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »

Hehe, thanks Docj, really interesting advice! I'm not sure what I've got in my mind for the youngbloods will meet your expectations but they surely won't look like tough guys, that much I can assure you! I started working on one of them yesterday and got the frame done, pretty happy about it. he is more like a posh and green duellist, fresh out from a fancy gentlemen's academy and without any understanding of how grim and ferocius Mordheim really is. Think of him as a young dandy noble/merchant's son who thinks he is better than anyone else and will soon learn a tough, tough lesson about not wearing silk and fancy shoes in the streets of the City of Damned.
[/quote]

Like Little Lord Fauntleroy with a sword ? Because I can get into that.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
I am actually working on a concept deeply inspired by Lord Bullington from Barry Lindon... I always loved that character, especially the last duel between him and Redmond when he is so scared he pukes! That's exactly how I'm picturing the young fop I'm working on. You'll see soon enough!

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu brāth!
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »
We have two members at least - White Knight and Westfalia - who are producing their own miniatures.

Now I know both 'design' the concepts and then get sculptors to sculpt them, but I am sure they would give you (possibly privately ) some idea of costs and what is involved in producing figures.

Certainly plastics is an expensive initial outlay, producing the moulds, but not sure about metal or resin ( or plasrin  :engel: ).
I have seen a metal figure producing spinning machine which involved a circular mould of around 10 figures, and I assume is easier to set up.

I've talked to a couple of professional sculptures about private commissions and I can tell you the big expense is the sculpting. You've got that down cold.
ultima ratio regum

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2015, 11:21:03 PM »
Thank you guys, I am working on a surprise for you all, but in the meantime, work on the marienburgers is proceeding so let me introduce you:

Edvard Van Muntz, third son of the deceased Herr Loedwijk Van Muntz, ex businness partner of captain Van Hoogen.

As you might have noticed I drew a lot of inspiration from the amazing Lord Bullington from Barry Lindon, must be one of my favourite movies and it just have the perfect Marienburg vibe to me!

I have not received satisfaction!  :-P

Anyway, as you can see he is pretty much as I described him to Docj: a young nobleman, fresh from some posh academy where they told him a lot about fancy duels and how to powder a wig, but nothing at all that could prepare him to the horrors of the City of the Damned!
So here he is, terrified, trying to keep a semblance of a duelling stance while shaking incontrollably before some horrific enemy, with a face that is screaming "Why did I came here in the first place?!"

Eyes open on this forum, I've got a pretty big announcement to make next week!

Offline Booah

• Members
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2015, 06:21:14 AM »
Don't want to be too gushing. But this is so good. The models have got so much character, always great to see what is coming next or read through your background ideas. Looking forward to next weeks announcement.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
Brilliant - love the right arm pose.

Don't forget to drill out the pistol barrel.
I think you did it on the Captain, but cannot see for definite.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
It is drilled on the last model too Mids.  Nice work on all of these inspiring models Hagen.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »
It is drilled on the last model too Mids.  Nice work on all of these inspiring models Hagen.

Strange - it looks like it isn't on the 4th pic where the pistol is pretty much pointed at you, but it seems like it is on the first pic.  :unsure:

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2015, 02:59:40 PM »
Stunning as always  :eusa_clap:
cheers,
Lee

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
The mistery is soon solved guys, I actually drilled the barrel but I didn't have an head small enough on my drill so halfway through I had to stop or else I would have damaged the barrel... The hole it's like 1 mm deep now, it shouldn't show once painted methink... Of course the captain's pistol is drilled as well  :wink:

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »
Busy weekend, I managed to find some time for another quick addition to the band... This one is a test model for a group of troop inspired by the black hats, marienburg watchmen and town guards (official name is the Honorable Company of Lamplighters and Watchmen).

Though it turned out nice I am unsure about how a group of them would fit in the warband in terms of esthetic... I did want to distinguish between the heroes and the troop, but I would like to know what you guys think about him... He should be part of a group of two halberdiers group and another one with a couple of marksmen/handgunners... The other option was going all seamen with the troop, like mariners hired from the ships decks along the Suiddock canal. I think the Black hats are slightly more original as a concept though.