home

Author Topic: TEG3: TCW's Creeping Death Tactical Thread (Chaos Only)  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Noght

• Members
Re: TEG3: TCW's Creeping Death Tactical Thread (Chaos Only)
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
Well the GS look to be going west of the Idol (surprised).  He needs to vanguard the Outriders to clear the Tank.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
I think 6x4 is a good formation, we only need to spread out against the greatswords.

For the next few drops here are my options, in no particular order;
1. Chariot to the left behind the war hounds.
2. Knights to the right between the dog units (safe from the outriders)
2. Knights to the right of the warriors.
3. Chimera behind the Tower
3. Chimera behind the hell cannon, facing to the left to lower the risk of getting hit by a cannon ball.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »
The other chariot should fit next the war hounds on the inside left. I like the Chimera behind the Hell Cannon. I can take a risk and line the prince across from the GS no matter where they are and chance a cannon ball and a banishment. I could play it safe and go behind the tower and play it safe and jump straight ahead 20 and face to the west.

Thoughts?

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:20 AM »
Agreed, chariot to the left first, then the Chimera behind the cannon. At that time his greatswords have entered, but right now I donīt know where I want the BSB and DP. Probably BSB near the warriors and DP behind the tower, safer.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
With his recent placement I think I like the other chariot over by the other units of dogs. They are fast and can kill those knights and archers.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
I think putting the chariot with the other unit of dogs was a mistake.  Those dogs can hold up the ICK all game without more investment.  Although if we can get a charge with the chariot we might be able to take out the ICK.

Remember, to use the cannon he has to pivot the steam tank and advance in the direction he wants to shoot.  If we put the Chimera in line with the Chaos Idol he won't be able to shoot it.

We have a target-rich environment for his cannon.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »
That chariot can keep those knights honest and it will break them if it gets the charge. If either of those happen, that flank is gone and that chariot will run wild.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 03:53:56 AM »
I feel that putting the Chimera so far from the Daemon Prince is a bit risky - in the (admittedly unlikely, but still possible) event a cannonball ganks your Hellcannon, he'll force a Ld5 Panic test from it, and if it fails it's likely off the table. Hopefully it won't come back to bite us.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
That is true. All I have is a leader 5 with re-roll. Lets hope the 5+ 5+ works!

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
Your dice are hot! I dont want to this early but thats what its for. I will use my scroll.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
Wrong thread, champ. :icon_lol:

I would let that Timewarp go, by the way - so what if the STank moves fast? If you move up, it'll be in combat on T2 regardless, he's going to want 3 dice in the Steam Engine for maximum Impact Hits, you'll still get a turn to P-Sun it off the table, and it's not like it makes it a better fighter.

Some observations based on HHG's movement, assuming his shooting doesn't blow up the units in question:
1. I think your Chaos Knights should charge his ICKs - that's an easy W for you, and it gets one of his fast units out of the way.
2. Bring your Daemon Prince up in P-Sun position against the STank - it's one of the few things that can threaten you, and you'll draw out most of his DD or his Scroll.
3. You may be able to imply this from my previous note, but bring the Chimera close to the big man. Ideal position is more than 6" away, but less than 12", and I would have him face the Knights. That really messes up the middle of the board for him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:03:13 PM by rothgar13 »

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
All right, HHG made a typo on his dispel roll, so that gives you a few more options. 3 DD meets or beats a 10 over 50% of the time, but it's a bit of a gamble. 4 DD will almost surely meet or beat it. Up to you, but being the riverboat gambler that I am, I'd go for 3 DD and see if I can stuff another spell this phase.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:26:15 AM by rothgar13 »

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 11:07:49 PM »
Oops! lol!

That banishment could kill the Hellcannon pretty easily. I like the p sun plan as that's what I wanna do but I don't want a stank coming all the way across the board on anything either. Once I am in combat this game is over. I just need to get there. I planned on that charge and if he flees, push them off the board with the dogs and chariot.

If I get a decent magic phase I have double spirit leach on the tank at plus 2 to his leadership and a possible p sun.

Anything else?

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 02:26:46 AM »
Make sure you communicate your choices to HHG, he's waiting on a response.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
5 hits and 5++ failed 5 times. Amazing.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
Eh, it happens. I'm just grateful that the Chimera wasn't lost to that.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
I suggest you redirect the Knights into the Archers.  If you make it you can overrun into the Outriders.

Charge the fleeing knights with the Chariot then Dogs if possible, redirecting the Chariot into the archers if you've got the range.  If not, just take the failed charges.

Use the easternmost dogs to screen the Chariot from the archers and move the DP around the tower behind the Chaos Knights.

Move up the Warriors, keeping them more than 12" away from the steam tank (towards J1).

Keep the Chimera more than 12" from the steam tank and 6" from the west dogs somewhere between O2 & O4.  If he wants to target the Chimera with the tank's cannon, then he will have to move away from where he wants to go (into the Warriors or Knights).

Finally, move up the dogs and chariot.  The outriders are the biggest risk on that flank.  Keep the chariot protected from a knight charge by the dogs, but able to counter.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
Lots of choices. Iīm leaning towards a carefull advance hoping for magic this turn and charges the next. If we want a more aggressive approach, then the Chimera, BSB and left flank should move forward more.

______
I agree with redirecting into archers, and then trying to scare the knights with leftmost warhounds and the chariot.

On the left, leftmost warhounds to within 16'' of the knights to avoid a charge, right warhounds forward to block the outriders fire, finally the chariot move northeast so they are 16''+ from knights and within decent chargerange of the outriders.

Chimera, toward the middle of O-square, for a charge or flame breath the next turn. I want the BSB between the Chimera and warriors.

We want to threaten someone with magic. I want the DP at around K4, angled NE, in sight of Stank and the outriders. We want him to be within 24'' of the STank for snipes, and placed for a Purple Sun towards the NE across Outriders, and if possible archers and knights too. The Warriors just move forward towards P1 making sure that the lvl 1 wizard is within 12'' of the Stank for an unboosted Spirit Leech.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
You get a 6&2 for Winds.  Empire scores 2 channels to even it up.

8PD to 8DD.

Well there goes any chance for magic domination.

I would toss 3 dice at Doom & Darkness on the ICK then 5 dice at Purple Sun towards the Steam Tank.

Whichever order you think is better, I don't think it really matters.  I would do Purple Sun second simply because of a greater risk of miscast.

edit: confused DP with Chimera, purple sun the knights/archers instead.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:32 AM »
What about 2x spirit leech on tank?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »
With even dice, giving him a +3 advantage one one cast (level 1 vs. level 4) doesn't sound like a good idea.

If you can Doom & Darkness the ICK they've got a good chance to keep fleeing.

5 dice Spirit Leech might be a good idea on the Tank, depending on how you roll for the first spell.  If you roll well and he throws a bunch of dice at it, you might be able to 3-dice leech on the tank from the level 1 and 2 dice it from the level 4.

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
True but depending on the first roll, would he throw 4 or 5. If he failed, he would lose the plus 4. I'll try the dd but I wanted some wounds on that stank.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 01:44:49 AM »
Umm...don't you want to cast Doom & Darkness on the Inner Circle?  So they fail their Ld test?

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 01:49:59 AM »
I thought the big block, then p sun, they then fail or if they let it go I have terror charging them next turn.

That small unit is out and it might run off on its own.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 01:54:57 AM »
OK.  I think you're making a big mistake, but we're just here to kibitz, it's your game.