home

Author Topic: Maybe alittle greek mythology  (Read 6200 times)

Offline OmegaOm

• Members
Maybe alittle greek mythology
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:13:56 AM »
   The Empire and the Britonians  are the only human races in warhammer.  I know they are humans that take place in the medieval era, but why not add a little Greek mythology. 
  Warhammer would do good to have a race that was only as greek mythology, for example.

Core can include your regular infantry, hoplites and bowmen.

Specials can include Spartans

Rares, can include, Medusa's, cyclopes

The magic can be like priests, and you can worship one of gods like Zeus or Apollo and call upon the God powers.

A war machine can be like the giant horse gift of Troy. You can load it up with infantry and they are protected inside. Wheel it up behind enemy lines and let them out.

But if we cant have a Greek mythology race.  It would be nice to add a few examples of it to the empire. Like Medusa's and Cyclopes, or the war machine of troy.  This would give some more power to the empire.

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
Re: Maybe alittle greek mythology
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »
Well you can already do much the same with existing Empire rules.

Infantry, spears and swords, bowmen

Spartans, greatswords

Rare, hunt through the dogs of war lists.

You already have access to Warrior Priests, and their rules can nominally apply to any priest.

Model a Steam Tank as a wooden horse and don't fire the cannon.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:49:57 AM »
Ever heard of all the other Human nations in Warhammer?

Tilea, Estalia, Kislev and the Border Princes.

The city state of Myrmidens in the Border Princes is based on Sparta. But there are no rules to this and it is fairly unknown outside of WFRP.

The High elves are a cross between mythological Atlantis and Classical Greece. They rely on Spearmen (Hoplites) Archers (Toxatai). Of course, High Elf players are tits and just use dragons.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Joelatron

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:00:30 AM »
You can also do a perfect Greek phalanx formation using Woodelves. There's a Texan guy who does an amazing Theban based army.
http://www.ThebainPhalanx.com

+ There is the dogs of war units that are based in a Italian/Roman setting that can be easily adopted.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »
I would imagine a Giant would work equally well as a Cyclops if modelled appropriately.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »
I'm fairly sure one of the old albion campaign giants was a cyclops. . .

And I have already sworn upon blood that if I ever start a high elf army I will populate it with basic units of spear elves, maybe a unit of white lions cause I just love their fluff and the models(not the price though. . . ridiculous) either a white lion chariot or two ellyrian chariots, some shadow warriors as they are cool beans(although got jipped as they have bows with bs4 while their delf countrparts have bs5 with repeater xbows and the option for great weapons. . . unless they changed that. no dragons, maybe some heavy cav depending on my preferance and most definately 2 bolt throwers.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:28:33 AM »
You mean you'd play a real army instead of a collection of elite units?

Shocking.  ::heretic::
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »
Yeah I know.
Mostly core units of high elven foot sloggers with some infantry support. . .
Kind of stuff they would fight a proper war with.
The white lions are there for my prince's guard :-)

I was also thinking if I ever played a Dark elf army, go with multiple blocks of 25 spearmen with repeating crossbowmen as support and dark riders with spears, chariots and maybe an elite unit for a bodyguard for my dreadlord. lol
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
The city state of Myrmidens in the Border Princes is based on Sparta. But there are no rules to this and it is fairly unknown outside of WFRP.

not to nerd it up here but city state of Myrmiden is based off of Athens not Sparta.

I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »

not to nerd it up here but city state of Myrmiden is based off of Athens not Sparta.

Pretty sure it is based on Sparta...They're described as Martial and excellent warriors. Perhaps it is Sparta and Athens combines?
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
Nope, there was a Sparta ripe off as well the to formed to make open the bulk of the Hellenic League. But like in real world history Sparta was gang banged by the other city-states because it was getting to powerful and to prick'ish' for its own good.

many important town closer to the border of Tilea as modeled after the Greeks, Thessos is an another example (Thessos being Thebes or perhaps Thrace)

:::cheers:::

I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O