home

Author Topic: The Giant File  (Read 25847 times)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: The Giant File
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
I don't mind the current giant, but I found the variations to be not different enough, eg the chaos one is not all that different in my eyes. Would have been way more tempting had they have changed it up a little more...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
I can't decide if I should turn him into another chaos giant, just anteup and buy the missing components or sell/trade him to ZeroTwentythree.

:engel:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
lol I would honestly give him too you 023 except that he was the second model I ever owned, the first being the fantastic Azazel model (given to me by a friend who was trying to coax me into playing the game).

I may still.  Let me see if I can find him.  I think he is in the same bags as my old pewter O&G from 4th.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »
I will sculpt him a new leg, and a replacement head in your likeness.*

* Well, generally in your likeness. I can't vouch for the quality of my sculpting skills.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Let me hunt them down then.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 12:22:34 AM »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 01:33:18 AM »
I like my magnificent ego Giant

http://www.fantization.com/productimages/magnificent_egos/uncommon_characters/MEO1083_green_Sept06.jpg

Especially that I got him for 20 €

I'd like to link to the manufacturer's web page, but all I can seem to find are re-sellers. Do you know if Magnificent Egos are still around and/or have their own web page?

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 02:10:24 AM »
From what I understand they've been out of business for at least a couple years now. They had some financial problems. In 2009 they were acquired by Valient Enterprises Limited. From what I can see it definitely looks like they have all of or most of the line available. Looks like they are missing some of the limited edition figs they produce. I don't see the Pilgrim with Pistols, which I have and they did this lizard mouthed thing with a black marble in it, was supposed to be something like a Palantir. I don't think they lived up to their hype and a lot of their figs were not very good. They do have some good ones though. I actually really like their spell effects miniatures.

http://www.veltd.net/32mm.htm

The giant specifically.

http://www.veltd.net/32mm/vel1083.htm
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:38:16 AM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 03:12:05 AM »
OK, added it to the list.

What a mix they have! Many of the monsters look really cool, but the humanoids aren't very good, but being sold for a higher price than most other companies selling single RPG type figures.

Glad to see someone is selling the Clan War figures too, many of them are really great. They're priced much better in terms of RPG figures, but you'd never be able to play wargames (like the actual Clan War game) with them at those prices. I love most of the human figures, and the dragons, undead and are all great.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
I think the magnificent ego dragon is fantastic....I am also not too sold on their humanoids.

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
  I think he is in the same bags as my old pewter O&G from 4th.
Well .... If your in clean out mode keep me in mind for some of those green skins....I'm filling out my old school army..;)

Cheers,

Blue

My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
I have gobs of 4th edition models, mostly wood elves, skaven, and orcs.  I'll dig around and see about dispersing them.  I will post a thread I guess.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Yes, please disperse!  :biggriin:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
:::cheers:::

I think this one was mentioned above by Just North....it too is my favorite...I need to scrub the 1990's PJ off of mine and give it some love.  It is of course OOP but can be found on ebay...if you have deep pockets.

...Go ahead PhillyT...tell me how much you hate it... :biggriin:

Cheers,

Blue

Still the best Giant GW have ever made  :::cheers:::
I'd buy it if they brought it out in resin or plastic.
I'd buy two if they made it a tad larger as well.
Giants should be well,  ...  Giant.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »
Just remembered, Molon Labe (ex. Vendel)

http://sgmm.biz/fantasy.html

I thought they had another one besides the one at the bottom of the page. Will have to snoop around...

edit: yeah, the guy with the club in the "Orc" group picture. Can't find him for sale though...

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 02:21:11 AM »
:::cheers:::

I think this one was mentioned above by Just North....it too is my favorite...I need to scrub the 1990's PJ off of mine and give it some love.  It is of course OOP but can be found on ebay...if you have deep pockets.

...Go ahead PhillyT...tell me how much you hate it... :biggriin:

Cheers,

Blue

Still the best Giant GW have ever made  :::cheers:::
I'd buy it if they brought it out in resin or plastic.
I'd buy two if they made it a tad larger as well.
Giants should be well,  ...  Giant.

Agreed.  And I don't even have an army for it, at the moment, except for my unoffical Dogs of War army.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 05:58:01 AM »

Another giant, from West Wind. But I can't find it on the actual West Wind web page -- only on the Old Glory (US distributor) web page.

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DW%2D716

I don't know if its the sculpting or the painting or both, but I'm not really a fan. I don't care for the way the peg leg is stuck on. And his upper arm looks like it has testicles.  :ph34r:

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »
I did the old marauder giant years ago with a bent and re-sculpted right arm so his club was raised and a kneelength ding dong and wrinkly scrotum with a huge stitched frankenstien scar down the length of the ding dong.  Sadly it was also stolen years ago.  I reasoned that what with no seams on his legs for a patchwork pair of pants where in the hell would the giant find a pair of stretchy tights in his size. 

and I wanted him to have a real good reason to HATE anything under 10 feet tall.

I really liked that old giant, called him Udo the extremely unpleasant.

maybe one day I'll do one of a giant in a stomp you flat pose with a similar lack of pants.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:05:37 AM by der Hurenwiebel »
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
You're scaring me.  :unsure:

A question for anyone who may be following/reading this... Do you prefer a more human proportioned giant (taller & thinner) or a scaling up of the "heroic 28mm" proportions?

For example -- discarding all opinion of style or sculpting quality, do you prefer the proportions of the Marauder giant, above, or the Black Scorpion giant?

Offline Mariner

• Members
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001630294702
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 02:04:38 AM »
I like the Marauder giant and if I ever come across one when I have funds I'll definitely buy it but I think the hands and feet are way too large, and it's more noticeable on a larger model.

When Black Scorpion released their giant pirate I fell in love and had to have it, I think the proportions work nicely with 28mm normal or heroic scale, not sure how he compares height-wise to GW or FW but he's tall enough for me.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »
Looks taller than the GW one to me.  Not bad looking either.  I am not a fan of the forge world one myself.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 02:45:40 AM »
I like giants that look proportional, simply scaled up people.  I hate the forge world giant, it's arms and legs are skinny in a way that makes the pot belly look odd and it's head makes it look like someone with cerebral palsy.  Maybe the legs and arms should simply be reposed instead to complete the transformation. 
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 05:14:15 AM »
Semi-resurrection.

Added Maelstrom's "Bane Beasts" to the list. They've got a couple giant-ish models. http://banelegions.maelstromgames.co.uk/?cat=4

Offline Johnny-Crass

• Members
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »
Owning a marauder giant, GWs old metal giant, two plastic GW giants and a ultraforge giant I must say this thread of "buy more giants" is not helping my addiction.  Ultraforge makes the best one out there IMO

I am the steveb of giants
And all the boys in the Stirland scene are in the basement huffing gasoline !
Staff member of Carpe Noctem