home

Author Topic: Zak's Imperial Guard Army  (Read 18128 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: So I want to start a new Army
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
like i said, it's how much you're willing or prepared to spend on it.

I like what I like we will see lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
So am I correct that an imperium army can have all things imperial in it? Like I can have a Knight etc.
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
Generally as long as things are in their own legal detachments, you get all the rules for them. If you mix and match your losing out on the faction rules like chapter tactics or regiments and stuff.

So you can have a patrol detachment of space marines, a battalion detachment of guard and a superheavy (lord of war? What's the big detachment called?) detachment of knights. All in the same army, and all getting their full special rules.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 08:11:13 PM »
Generally as long as things are in their own legal detachments, you get all the rules for them. If you mix and match your losing out on the faction rules like chapter tactics or regiments and stuff.

So you can have a patrol detachment of space marines, a battalion detachment of guard and a superheavy (lord of war? What's the big detachment called?) detachment of knights. All in the same army, and all getting their full special rules.

So is it best to stick to one type of army?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
It's all about what you want to do my dude! I tend to play just Imperial Guard, but that's because I'm playing fairly small scale. My last big game had two big Imperial Guard detachments, both different regiments, a small space marine detachment, a small deathwatch detachment and an inquisitor.

I do know lots of Imperial players who take an imperial guard force as allies no matter what their main army is, because it's real easy to farm lots of Command Points for cheap with IG. So it's pretty competitive to take, say, a mostly marine army with a good sized force of IG for CP and backup.

Again me myself, I usually tend to stick to just Imperial Guard. Usually organised into a couple of different detachments to get a decent number of CP. Of course I don't have any of the nice big models like Knights that would make it more interesting to branch out.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »
Mono build armies are fun, but to be competitive you'll need to mix together a few different codex's. The most common options are:
1) Guard CP battalion. Basicially either two company commander or a company commander and Primaris psyker and 3 infantry squads, sometimes these have mortars in. Generally the Cadian doctrine, though Catachan is currently very popular. Cadian for shooting and Catachan for muscle. Other regiments are all viable.
1b) People also add in various this to this formation depending on points. Common add on's are HWT's with mortars, Bullgryns and Hellhounds.
2) Assassins, you can take one for -1CP as a Aux detachment or Three as a vanguard detachment for 0CPs. Culexus are good due to the way the psychic power smite works and for being hard to hit. Callidus and eversor next. They can infiltrate so good for grabbing objective. Also cheap in points
3) Super heavy with knight, ubiquitous ATM. Mostly Castallans and Arminger little knights
4) Smashguinius - 3 Blood angle captains with jump packs, thunderhammers and storm shield as a Supreme command detachment for +1CP or 2 with 3 units of scouts as a battalion for +5CP. scouts are really good for board control and screening due to their deployment option.
4b) this used to be 3 custodian shield captains on jet bikes as supreme command

Spacemarines, deathwatch, grey knights all have good units but overall not top tier. Dark angles are okay, black knights are good and they have good flyers and -1 to hit vehicles, along with good plasma weapons. Space wolves are new out but seem okay, a few combo's. Thunderwolf cavalry and wulfen are very good.

All of these are fairly competitive approach to list building. However, if you want a cool modelling project and a fluffy army you can take whatever you want and which ever models you like most. The list building is easy from there.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
very interesting, im a fluffy guy ( not literally lol) but I do like to be somewhat competitive
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 09:53:08 PM »
So if you were me right now what would you build for a small force that can be fun to learn the rules? I love to model that's my love for GW games
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
Spacemarines, deathwatch, grey knights all have good units but overall not top tier.

Considering the first two are my most common allies when I build bigger lists, it explains a great deal about my issues on the competitive scene.

So if you were me right now what would you build for a small force that can be fun to learn the rules? I love to model that's my love for GW games

Absolutely would suggest the Start Collecting Kit. Gives you pretty much a patrol detachment to at least learn the rules. Lord-Commissar (Although I generally don't take one in larger battles), a tank, and a squad with heavy weapon. Enough to practice some painting, some modeling and get a feel for the rules by playing some small battles. From there you can expand with more squads, more vehicles that you like, and consider branching out into the other Imperial Faction you might like as allies.

Then I'd get the codex. Need the rules, need the stratagems, etc.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
Rough riders? Im thinking about doing a unit of 10 w/ Australian ( hats whatever they are called) head swaps ??? what do you think about these guys
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Rough riders? Im thinking about doing a unit of 10 w/ Australian ( hats whatever they are called) head swaps ??? what do you think about these guys

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/van-diemens-world-devils/products/slouch-hat-heads-x-10
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/van-diemens-world-devils/products/slouch-hat-heads-x-10

YES those heads !!!!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »
I've heard good things about rough riders, but have never used them myself. One of the local guys runs a group with two melta guns I think, and combined with their flank move (Where they can set up on a table edge or something) and swears by them as tank hunter.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 04:08:27 AM »
I've heard good things about rough riders, but have never used them myself. One of the local guys runs a group with two melta guns I think, and combined with their flank move (Where they can set up on a table edge or something) and swears by them as tank hunter.

oh good, I like the concepts of them
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
They are good at cheaply filling out the fast attack choices for a brigade. 55pts I think for 5. With outflank they are good at objective grabbing and back field tiles. However they are quite big for LOS and very squishy. A pair of 34 pts melta guns really bumps the cost up for a bs4+ unit.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »

So why you complaining!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
Mad robot do some great models for them.
https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_43&products_id=313

Good to know thanks dude, plus those are very nice figures
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »
So due storm troopers still exists, I'm not finding them :icon_question: :icon_question:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:51 PM »
They seem to still be active in Star Wars movies. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »
Called tempestus scions now

So why you complaining!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 01:15:19 AM »
They seem to still be active in Star Wars movies. :icon_wink:

hahaha nice
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:33 PM »
what have you found for tank bits I've found a few?? Im looking for WWI like stuff  :::cheers:::

https://youtu.be/qyGDo1ARpjI "For ten thousand years they have held the line, what excuse do you have monster?!" ...awesome
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:37:17 PM by zak »
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 01:52:27 AM »
Hmmm ... so Star Wars bits won't do. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 03:21:47 AM »
Hmmm ... so Star Wars bits won't do. :icon_wink:

mmmmmm not really  :dry:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 03:25:26 AM »
what have you found for tank bits I've found a few?? Im looking for WWI like stuff  :::cheers:::

https://youtu.be/qyGDo1ARpjI "For ten thousand years they have held the line, what excuse do you have monster?!" ...awesome

And that chaos scum was bashed about like a straw man. As it should be.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.