home

Author Topic: Reiksguard unit size at 2500 pts  (Read 1447 times)

Offline emcdunna

• Members
Reiksguard unit size at 2500 pts
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:52:32 AM »
as a primary hammer unit/ flanker, I am thinking it needs to be at least 10 men. 15 is a lot of points but probably tough to crack but maybe more than optimal ringing in at like 400 pts.

I know a unit of 5 is a great heavy chaff unit.

Maybe 12 is optimal? or 11 + a warrior priest (also, how important is the naked warrior priest on barded steed?)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
Re: Reiksguard unit size at 2500 pts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
I can't imagine any reason to take Reiksguard over Demigryphs.

But if you're going to run them, 10 is the minimum I would take as a flanking unit.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
As always, it depends on their role. 

If you want a chaff-clearing unit, then 5-6 will get the job done easily. 

If you want a unit that will be combat-focused, then no less than 10.  Whenever I run my Reiksguard, I choose to have them work in tandem with my IKCs.  I usually do this in 1 of 2 ways.
1.  I simply put them side by side and charge in together.  This can work well by setting up on a flank and sweep around closing the door against your anvil units.  In order to do this, they have to be fast, so include the Steel Standard in one unit and the Banner of Swiftness in the other.
2.  Put one of each unit on either side and have them meet in the middle.  This can prove to be much more tricky with all the chaff and re-directors out there.  Plan for those and have something to counter them.  This usually works well against armies that can't move very well (Dwarfs) or armies that have "deathstar" formations (Ogres).

As always, much of this depends on placement of terrain.

If you can afford it, Reiksguard and ICKs on one side and Demigryphs on the other side is my favorite.  I will put a character with the crown of command in with the ICKs, to make a wall of Stubborn that can act as an anvil for the Demigryphs (hammer) to sandwich the enemy against.  If you go with this tactic, try to mirror the size of you ICKs.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 01:08:13 PM »
Good ideas. I guess its hard to say without describing my battle plan.

I play an infantry heavy army without a steam tank (yet, Idk...). Mainly I want to draw the enemy into my griffin formation and handle the main enemy unit there. The reason why I think Reiksguard are worth way more points that ICK is because of stubborn. On a cavalry unit all by itself , having stubborn is amazing. I mainly want to just charge the enemy flank, and hold them off while doing damage and not flee for 3 turns. Against some opponents thats impossible but against a tarpitty infantry unit with S3 They will last a long time and not flee (stubborn).

Right now I have 8. Seems like 10 would be helpful, or even 12.