home

Author Topic: DGK of 5 too many?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Vietnow

• Members
DGK of 5 too many?
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:55:28 AM »
I have 5 DGK models.  Is it a feasible idea to use a unit of 5???   It will be in a mostly all mounted list, inspired by Mottdon's list here.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=49338.msg911588#new

Even tho he's an Auburn fan, I liked this style.  (I'm not really a Crimson Tide fan, but I spent a lot of time consulting for TVA Browns Ferry, about 20 min away from Huntsville)

Is 5 too many?  Running 3 wide, 2 in the back.

I don't want to put them 4 wide, as it becomes too bulky for my taste.

Also, I've never put them on the table, so any general advice is welcome.

Thanks guys

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
Re: DGK of 5 too many?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
In my experience 4 is the optimal width for DGKs.
If I bring more than 4 I will run 2 units of 4.
Im bringing a unit of 5 to a campaign and plan to run them 5 wide, running them 3 in the front 2 in the back is a huge waste, 2 of the Demigryphs wont be able to attack.

In my experiences Demigryphs are best used charging enemy cavalry or heavy infantry, as S5 and armour piercing gives knights and infantry a -3 to their armour save, also always bring lances.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline TastyBagel

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
I could see a unit of 5 as a massive points denial unit, or in a huge game, where traditional unit sizes go out the window. But generally, yes, 5 will be a bit unwieldy.

You'd be stuck either:
1) Running them 5 wide, which is an insane frontage, and ripe for both easy redirecting and easy breaking (since not all your models will be able to get into base contact and contribute to combat).
2) Run them in two ranks, which isn't ideal, as the mounts don't get to make supporting attacks, making the unit less potent, and upping the unit's price tag considerably.

Demis tend to be on your flanks, basically being Super Cavalry. A unit 4 wide is as wide as I would go. I usually run mine in groups of 3, with a musician if I have the points.

Offline Vietnow

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
My main concern was losing models and thus combat effectiveness.  My group and I have an agreement, a gentlemenly agreement not to take WAAC lists.  We tried running comp.. but that turned into all of us just trying to find the loopholes, and min maxing/WAAC'ing the comp system.  Basically, I won't take 2 units.  If my buddy shows up with 2 units of crushers, well then I'll just have to roll out the wrestling mats.

Yea, I know sounds pretty pathetic.  Well now we regulate ourselves.  Kinda odd, instead of our pride resting on who wins/losses, it now rests on not taking the harder list, as the victory would feel hollow.   Yep, pretty pathetic I know.  But hey, it works for us.

I understand the Demi wouldn't get attacks in the 2nd rank.  I'm starting to think they're too expensive to have "backup" guys in the 2nd rank.  3 or 4 in the front is the way to go.  I'll just change my playstyle to allow the Demi's to be the frontal unit, and my knights to be, or attempt to be the flankers.  I suppose with the Celestial the Demis can hold up a ranked unit with a frontal charge.

I'm playing an all mounted list, so I'm only scared of S6 or higher.  Provided they can avoid S6, I like their chances.

Thank you for the imput guys.

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
My main concern was losing models and thus combat effectiveness.  My group and I have an agreement, a gentlemenly agreement not to take WAAC lists.  We tried running comp.. but that turned into all of us just trying to find the loopholes, and min maxing/WAAC'ing the comp system.  Basically, I won't take 2 units.  If my buddy shows up with 2 units of crushers, well then I'll just have to roll out the wrestling mats.

Yea, I know sounds pretty pathetic.  Well now we regulate ourselves.  Kinda odd, instead of our pride resting on who wins/losses, it now rests on not taking the harder list, as the victory would feel hollow.   Yep, pretty pathetic I know.  But hey, it works for us.

I understand the Demi wouldn't get attacks in the 2nd rank.  I'm starting to think they're too expensive to have "backup" guys in the 2nd rank.  3 or 4 in the front is the way to go.  I'll just change my playstyle to allow the Demi's to be the frontal unit, and my knights to be, or attempt to be the flankers.  I suppose with the Celestial the Demis can hold up a ranked unit with a frontal charge.

I'm playing an all mounted list, so I'm only scared of S6 or higher.  Provided they can avoid S6, I like their chances.

Thank you for the imput guys.

Yes, I have noticed this with my gaming group aswell. We play with the ETC- system and everyone just brings the toughest, hardest list possible.
Personally I would like to run fluffy things like swordsmen, all infantry with lore of metal, special characters like Luthor Huss and play smaller games than 2400 points. I feel like comp restricts a lot and benefits WAAC playing.

We played one game with no comp, other than no special characters, He & Empire vs Dark elves & WoC, 3200 points per army.
I really liked it, I could finally not be restricted and I could bring 3 light wizards, 3 cannons, 2 units of 4 DGKs, a unit of like 20 ICK with a gm, priest and bsb. I liked it a lot more than playing when you're restricted, I guess it just felt more relaxed.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Even tho he's an Auburn fan, I liked this style.  (I'm not really a Crimson Tide fan, but I spent a lot of time consulting for TVA Browns Ferry, about 20 min away from Huntsville)

WAR EAGLE!!!

(I'm also a Mississippi State fan.  I graduated from both universities.)

I live in Leeds, AL (suburb of Birmingham), and I know just where you are talking about!  Not too far away!  Do you play with the Huntsville group?

Offline Vietnow

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:09 PM »
Haha, no I live in northern Illinois.  I spent a lot of time working with the folks at TVA browns ferry, which is 20 min from huntsville.