home

Author Topic: Chumley Warner's Empire. 3D printing  (Read 1798933 times)

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: Chumley Warner Empire Images
« Reply #1225 on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
ok final tweaks to their jerkins being purple under the armour around the neck etc, some grass additions, more washes and horse fur details

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1226 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
Masterfully....you should quit your job and do commission work...by comparable prices other people demand you could make a million bucks an hour.

• Members
« Reply #1227 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »
Can you make £60,000 per annum and drive a Merc?

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #1228 on: October 14, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
Can you make £60,000 per annum and drive a Merc?

Errm... yes.  :biggriin:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

• Members
« Reply #1229 on: October 14, 2011, 07:25:43 AM »
really?

seriously?

Is there money in commission work?

• Members
« Reply #1230 on: October 14, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
OOP Knights 1987.

• Members
« Reply #1231 on: October 14, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
I posted my Pistoliers on CMON, and they have been slated.

I compared similar scores with other Pistolier images, and some of the other images getting the same score had paint out of place, smudges , looked wrong etc.

I thought mine looked ok, but obviously not at all,

urrrgggg

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #1232 on: October 14, 2011, 12:27:41 PM »
OOP Knights 1987.

Those look sweet! How do they compare to the current plastic ones sizewise?

• Members
« Reply #1233 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
In my opinion, they are slightly larger in size, and better models.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #1234 on: October 14, 2011, 01:32:15 PM »
Are your Pistoliers completely red, or just their front quarters like those GW Kislev with their painted on patterns you showed earlier? I can't quite tell from these pictures. If you posted the same three view picture you posted here, it could be affecting your score as it's kinda small and you can't make out details. Ultimately I think the red horses are affecting your score. Maybe it's the pictures but the white on the horses is contrasting really strong with the red on them. The color of their manes seems a little out of place as well. Taken by themselves I think the horses look good, and the pistolier riders look good, but I think they aren't working together so well. I'm a little surprised as you usually pick colors that work well together.

Also I just noticed, did you paint the horse's eyes white? If you did that's something that you almost never see, unless a horse is scared. They have very large iris/pupils. They usually fill almost the entire eye opening, with maybe a little of the white showing in the back upper portion of the eye. Take a look at some pictures of horse heads to see what I'm talking about.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

• Members
« Reply #1235 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
fair play , that's useful critique, thanks.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1236 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »
OOP Knights 1987.

Very nice ..how you going to paint them? what order, how many? lol lots of questions  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• Members
« Reply #1237 on: October 14, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
i just bought a giant humbrol brush and coated all 4 knights grey in 10 minutes , lol

• Members
« Reply #1238 on: October 14, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
simple scheme

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #1239 on: October 14, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Are your Pistoliers completely red, or just their front quarters like those GW Kislev with their painted on patterns you showed earlier? I can't quite tell from these pictures. If you posted the same three view picture you posted here, it could be affecting your score as it's kinda small and you can't make out details. Ultimately I think the red horses are affecting your score. Maybe it's the pictures but the white on the horses is contrasting really strong with the red on them. The color of their manes seems a little out of place as well. Taken by themselves I think the horses look good, and the pistolier riders look good, but I think they aren't working together so well. I'm a little surprised as you usually pick colors that work well together.

Also I just noticed, did you paint the horse's eyes white? If you did that's something that you almost never see, unless a horse is scared. They have very large iris/pupils. They usually fill almost the entire eye opening, with maybe a little of the white showing in the back upper portion of the eye. Take a look at some pictures of horse heads to see what I'm talking about.

I dunno, althou I see where you're coming from I'm not sure I'd agree that any of the things you mentioned should really effect the overall score. I don't know what the consensus over at CMON is but I tend to judge paintjobs primarily on how well a given technique is pulled off. I personally find say, a smooth color transition - whether it be wetblending or layering - much more relevant than what pertiqular color combination was used. Certainly, there are extreme cases where it's valid to question the artists choice of colors but not in this case I think. The horses and the pistoliers armor look very crips in my opinion. If there's anything draging them down I would say it's the basing, mainly because it almost looks identical on some of them, with the tufts of grass on the same place etc. But that's really nitpicking it...

My two cents anyways

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1240 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
CMON scores are weird anyway. They only rate specific painting styles, usually by specific people and used on specific figures.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #1241 on: October 15, 2011, 01:31:02 AM »
Mr C W, if you are put off by some ones opinion, or lack of enthusiasm. Then you need to stop and ask yourself; why am I painting? is it because it gives you pleasure to create, to solve paint scheme an technique problems? Are you happy when you paint because you are exercising a skill that few people have been blessed with?  Do you enjoy the majesty of massed ranks of colorful troops you have painted? Do the unique sculptures make make you appreciate the sculptors skills?  Do you like taking a figure and converting it into something usually better, something that is uniquely yours?  If your answer to any or all of these is yes, then you shouldn't be concerned with value or worth that anyone else attaches to your work.  You shared your world, that should be sufficient, besides some other sites (un-named) are more than a little pretentious.  Keep doing what you are doing and sharing. steveb

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #1242 on: October 15, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »
Leave it to Steveb to put things in perspective.

The simple fact you are 50 pages in this thread and have such a following should give you better indication of your skill and your inspiration than an arbitrary grading system made up of different people that aren't even judging by the same standards. I for one look to you (And many other members of this forum) as both a well of ideas to make my own imagination work harder, as well as a goal to aspire to in my own painting endeavors.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Volks

• Members
« Reply #1243 on: October 15, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »
Mr C W, if you are put off by some ones opinion, or lack of enthusiasm. Then you need to stop and ask yourself; why am I painting? is it because it gives you pleasure to create, to solve paint scheme an technique problems? Are you happy when you paint because you are exercising a skill that few people have been blessed with?  Do you enjoy the majesty of massed ranks of colorful troops you have painted? Do the unique sculptures make make you appreciate the sculptors skills?  Do you like taking a figure and converting it into something usually better, something that is uniquely yours?  If your answer to any or all of these is yes, then you shouldn't be concerned with value or worth that anyone else attaches to your work.  You shared your world, that should be sufficient, besides some other sites (un-named) are more than a little pretentious.  Keep doing what you are doing and sharing. steveb

Ditto mate

You obviously enjoy it and we all enjoy you doing it so don't worry about them.
Nordland is really cool. They fight pirates and party on the beach. Sort of like a Disney film.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #1244 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
I do have to say, I don't know why you keep doing that to yourself, going back to Cool Mini or Not. You take your ratings there too personally. Isn't this like the third or fourth time that you've gotten upset about your ratings there? The last time I thought you were finished for good when you took all your pictures down there. Now you are back doing it again. You really need to stop doing this to yourself.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #1245 on: October 15, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Chumley...this is an intervention....... :ph34r:
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

• Members
« Reply #1246 on: October 17, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
ah me competitive side yearns for critique, lol

cmon is a deadly tool no doubt,

almost like slipping back into a drug addiction

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #1247 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
Warhammer-empire.com addiction is bad enough, CW ;-) When on Crack, don't start Cocaine.  :::cheers:::

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

• Members
« Reply #1248 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
I have a serious coffee addiction,

although I allow only one ''sledgehammer'' per day

it's a columbian 5 strength espresso bean , filtered for 30 mins, comes out black , gives me a massive buzz once a day lol

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1249 on: October 17, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »
Addictive behaviours give short term relief to long term issues, and not usually in a good way.

Painting military figures by itself can be addictive.  The trick is finding balance with everything else in life.

Don't worry Chumley.  Your painting is plenty good enough and is obviously enjoyable by folks here.

Steveb said it very well, do and share.  Sometimes we just need to be self satisfied with our own individual effort for peace and joy to arrive.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra