home

Author Topic: Chaos Dwarfs?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Vivendi

• Members
  • Belgium, land of rain
Chaos Dwarfs?
« on: May 20, 2006, 09:32:06 AM »
Hello,
are there any people around here who have fought against these stunties? And if you did, what did you faced? This is because I have a Chaos Dwarfs army(around 3500pt) and I would want to know what is most common for them to field. :?
We worden geboren om te leven en leven om te sterven.

Offline Border Prince

• Members
Re: Chaos Dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 09:35:58 AM »
Well a really powerful army tends to take lots of regiments of 10 hobgoblins on foot, blunderbusses, 2 earthshakers, and max out on bolt throwers. And people hate playing it.

More balanced CD armies usually include Bull centaurs (who are very good with GWs). A S7 hogoblin hero on wolf is also common (Magic Gauntlet for +1S, and a GW). Given Ld10 heros, the Lord is very rarely seen as general, so they often go magic heavy. Pure orcs and goblins tend to be left out in preference for hobgoblins and sneaky gits.

Offline jack

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »
  Whatever you field,unless your opponent is up on his "ravening hordes",it's going to be a surprise.

Border Prince is right;if your opponent is shooty 2 earth shakers will cripple him.
eat till you are tired .sleep till you are hungry

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:24:56 AM »
I have a Chaos Dwarf Army, and have always been unsure of what to take also.

What has more prompted my composition is that I prefer to field a 'counts as' army based on DoW.

I take a Fire Wizard Lord - T4 like Dwarfs
A captain on Pegasus - Dwarf on Bull Taurus
A captain in my Heavy Cav - Bull Centaur hero
Paymaster I just use as a BSB and give him some good weapons...

My Core choices are:
Light Cav - Hobgoblin wolf rider models
Heavy Cav - Bull Centaurs
Duelists - sneaky gitz with 2 hand weapons

My Special Choices are
Dwarfs with Heavy armour, Hand Weapon + Shield
Dwarfs with Heavy armour + GW
A unit of 2 Lead Belchers - converted Chaos Dwarfs with shoulder rockets - modelled with 3 crew (representing the 3 wounds) - have T4 like Dwarfs, S4 like they have been lugging around heavy weapons, and I just don't move them too far to keep them in theme
Ironguts to give a bit more punch to the army offensively - they are just the Dwarf Lords slaves....

My Rare choices are a bit off....
I use a Hot Pot - I know the stats dont match, but it does the damage I think is suited to a burning catapult style contraption - and use goblin crew mainly with a dwarf slaver...
Or a cannon can be used to similar effect, or use Hobgoblin models and a bolt thrower but in gaming terms is a bit more likely to blow up...
I also use the Goblin Hewer as another kind of cool war machine the Chaos Dwarfs invented.

I think it gives a nice mix...

If you like, you can combine the Chaos Dwarf army with DoW as allies, or use a Dwarf army list with some DoW elements.

Either way, I think LeadBelcher models (or rules) are very fluffy, as are having Ogres in the army - as it is mentioned quite a bit in the OK fluff...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:52:49 AM »
Shouldn't this be in the Count's Tavern?
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Vivendi

• Members
  • Belgium, land of rain
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:15:32 AM »
Sorry for the wrong place.
I have tried it also, Warlord, but I like the death rockets and I didn't found any counts as. And the blunderbuss warriors make good crossbowmen :-D.
I don't like it that GW doesn't support this little fellows. :?
We worden geboren om te leven en leven om te sterven.

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 02:05:36 PM »
25+ sneaky gits are a nightmare.

I too love bull centaurs, but the problem is they take a rare slot-- that means competing with the earthshaker.  Probably it's a wise move socially to only take one earthshaker, though.
Quote from: Atchman
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:27:32 PM »
I know Vivendi,

I would love to have proper support for the CD, a new army book even.

Have you looked on Warvault.com? there are a couple of CD forums that might give you some pointers.....

I used to be really annpyed about it, for a long time, but eventually I just gave in to the fact that they aren't going to do anything for the forseeable future.

DoW is my best fit. I converted the Death Rockets to be 'shoulder rockets' as I mentioned before which my group let me use as weapon teams. I just changed the base and now use them as 'leadbelchers'

But yeah, like I said, mix up some DoW with your CD to make it a bit more spicy...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »
I used to have a Chaos Dwarf army.  The army looked kind of like...

Hero
BSB
Caddy

2x15 Blunderbusses
1x20 Warriors
4x20 Hobbos
4x10 Hobbos
4x5 Hobbo Wolf Riders

4 Hobbo Bolt Throwers
Earthshaker

Mind you I played a friend of mine and he wiped the floor with me.  He had a Taurus riding lord that I forgot was immune to fire attacks.

I sold that army to him so it's great that I know it has a good home because it's an excellent army.  Some things to watch out for...

- the S7 Hobbo hero on a wolf
- Blunderbusses vs Infantry
- Taurus Riders
- Black Orcs
- LD10 Hobgobblins that reroll Psych and Break test (BSB with Banner of Slavery)
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire