home

Author Topic: My Painting Blog... Ostermark-ish! (BSB on demigryph WIP, Feb 29, 2024)  (Read 91189 times)

Offline anvalous

• Members
Thanks, guys!  Turns out I stil have them both and neither one is attached to anything.  I'll probably paint both and just see how I'm feeling at the time of commitment.

Huzzah!

Offline Orion

• Members
  • The Hunter (aka Von Decker)
Excellent work!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

The general is a good conversion, and it does not reminds caos, so good work. I see it more like a grandmaster than a general, due to the armour type...

And the steam tank is excellent and diferent. I dont know about the sew on one hand, too futuristic maybe...but the rest I think it can work as a steam powerred thing...And the problem with the 2º driver, that indeed feel more like a mad engenieer, is that is too up in the hole. It should get the edge on his chest or so, like the first one, not at his knees. It seems like falling down...

But it is really awesome, I wainting to see it painted...

Offline Valetus

• Members
Better tank than before but the old driver was better as the pose was overall more dynamic were as this guy is a bit wooden (no lumber tank pun intended)

Offline anvalous

• Members
Need something to break up state troop-age.  Here's a pic of my newest dragon rider - currently dragon-less...

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
Re: My Painting Blog... Hochland-ish (updated 8-3-2010 - High Elf Diversion)
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »
Beautiful  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Sandor

• Members
Re: My Painting Blog... Hochland-ish (updated 8-3-2010 - High Elf Diversion)
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
Great work as always  :eusa_clap:

Offline anvalous

• Members
Re: My Painting Blog... Hochland-ish (updated 8-29-2010 - High Elf Dragon)
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
Took a while, but I'm pretty happy with him!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
 :Ohmy: WOW!!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Sandor

• Members
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »
its just great  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 07:23:20 AM »
Great work !

Congratulations !
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
If you weren't happy with that I'd kill you.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline Orion

• Members
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
uh....that dragon face  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

excellent  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

I know that is not the more impressive part of the mini, but can you give us the receipt for the stone? just professional interest for my ruins...

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 01:55:43 AM »
Glad you like it!  Thanks for the comments - the feedback is quite encouraging, especially since I have 31 half-built halbediers on my desk which are next...

I paint with Vallejo Game Colors, but I'll try to include GW equivalents...  The stone is all dry-brushed, by the way.

1. Shadow Grey - think this is Space Wolves Grey
2.  Stonewall Grey - think this is fortress grey
3.  Ghost Grey - not sure on this one
4.  Desert Yellow - again, not sure, but this is the key for me.  Really makes the stone look like it is lit by the sun.

Hope that helps!

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »
Question!!!!

So I have 31 Halberdiers almost completely assembled and they are in need of some serious unit-filler because unit fillers are a good excuse to be a little crazy.  This unit is a true hodgepodge with ~10 Bretonnian Man-at-Arms converted with Empire heads and halberds, ~10 Free company with FC halberds, ~5 FC with greatswords, and 6 FC/Marauders with an assortment of killing implements and big muscles.  The lack of uniformity is intentional to add some real interest to the unit and to make the painting a bit more fun for me.  With that in mind, and the diversity of these Hochland halberd-wielding (or equivalent) militia, what would be a good unit filler?

A giant beast?  The ever-popular ogre?  A tree?  A lumber sledge?  A dude posed prominently on a rocky bit?  I'm looking for some inspiration...

What would you like to see me take a crack at?

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:51:43 AM by anvalous »

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
Re: My Painting Blog... Hochland-ish (Question requesting input posted!)
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
I will give it the first shot then  :wink:  If it was me I would do a horse mounted dude to stand in for my unit banner bearer, mounted on an ogre base.  I would pose him in the traditional glorious pose of waving his banner & inciting the troops forward.  Feel free to ditch or take up this idea as you like though  :happy:  As a side note, I really like the armour & sword on your high elf dragon rider & even though I would like to steal it for a lord of mine; I fear it is too difficult a technique for me to pull out properly  :|
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »
I love the dragon and rider, makes me want to paint high elves. Good job.  steveb 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:38:13 PM by steveb »

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
A guy chopping down a tree...
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline Orion

• Members
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
Maybe the beast idea, but with a bear with a chain pulled by a halberd...a "war bear", maybe with a small piece of armor...

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
More lions!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
Mogs.....you turned into a Conquistador too????:::cheers:::
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Quick update for me - I decided, at the suggestion of a good buddy, to keep the unit more homogenous, so they all have empire halberds.  Further, I didn't get as much painting done this weekend as I would have liked, but I did manage the following:

25 halberds basecoated, with bases and metallics painted (helms and halbs, mostly)
25 greatswords basecoated, with bases painted and metallics started (first drybrush of gunmetal and one coat of baddab black ink).

Hope I can get some more work on 'em this week!

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »
An inspiring blog this is :::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
Getting close to finishing my 25 halberds... hair, I think, is all that remains.

As an aside, this month will include something a bit different.  My old gaming club has a monthly painting contest as a friendly challenge to keep brushes active.  It has been an absolute blast.  This is the final month of this 12-cycle 'round'.  The winner of each cycle picks the next challenge - "Paint infantry."  "Has to have a big weapon."  "Must use the color yellow."  etc.  They are intentionally broad to make sure that all of our gamers, regardless of system, can participate with something fun.

Anyhow, this month requires that we paint something with the color pink in honor of breast cancer awareness month.  I'm opting to paint a model from a rockstar company called Sodapop Miniatures (they've been to GenCon, PAX, and something else this year - they also happen to be my buddies).  I'm not going to go as crazy as their paint job, but here's what I'm working with:

http://web.sodapopminiatures.com/selectcharacter/Princess%20Malya

The model was a bit of a pain to put together, but is truly gorgeous.  Sodapop doesn't mess around.  Detail is great and the opportunity to go through the roof on this one has me salivating.  I'm leaning towards a blue robot and pulling the required pink in for Malya's hair and, possibly, her bodysuit.  We'll see.

The coolest part of the whole thing is that Sodapop has graciously offered the winner of this challenge one of the models in their range as a prize.  I encourage you all to look through their stuff.  It is pretty fantastic - not to mention that they're pulling together a few games to go with the models and a board game called Super Dungeon Explore which rocks face.  Their home page link is here:

http://web.sodapopminiatures.com/home

Great stuff.  Thanks for reading and, hopefully, I'll be posting pics of halberds tonight!  Woot!

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »
For completeness - also in the tale of many gamers (apologies for the terrible pics!):

My circus-y champion:

The unit (minus about 20 more dudes and some unit fillers...):

WIP Greatswords:

Offline arselus

• Members
Re: My Painting Blog... Hochland-ish (Bad pics of Halbs uploaded Sep 29)
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
I love that unit of halberdiers, nice job. Great use of Bretonnian bodies, and free companies bits.  :eusa_clap: