home

Author Topic: The Nemesis Crown - Information and Organization  (Read 28928 times)

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
The Nemesis Crown - Information and Organization
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »
This is the thread for those who don't want to complain and rant about past campaigns, want to have fun in the current one and perhaps make some marks on the campaign for ourselves. Without further ado, everything that's I can find about the Nemesis Crown Global Campaign... to be updated regularly.

The Fluff Behind the Nemesis Crown

In the mists of the past, during the times of Sigmar there was a Dwarf Master Runesmith named Alaric the Wise. It was this same Alaric who was commanded by the Dwarfen High King to forge for the budding mankind the Twelve Runefangs, gifts to the followers of Sigmar. And so it came to pass that Alaric completed the Runefangs and moved on to other things.

And so came about the creation of the Nemesis Crown. Forged out of a single piece of Pure Warpstone, the Nemesis Crown became Alarics highest achievement, and so came to be encrusted it with those Master Runes of which were most powerful and unstable. In so doing Alaric the wise crafted a more powerful item than he had ever coneived, and he feared for the world for low its power was so immense it cowed him with fear. And so did Alaric fear it that he took the crown and carried it to a secret place, an elder mine of which was not in use. And he descended to it's bottom most depths, hiding the Crown in it's passages most dark, and so commanded that the shaft in which it laid be filled, and continued with the filling of the lowest systems of the mine, and then the entire mine until there was no trace left that a mine was there at all.

Alaric believed this would hide the Crown forever, but the knowledge of it alone drove his ancient and Wise mind into its darkest recesses, driving his venerable being into decay and insanity. And so it came to pass that Alaric the Wise was wrote down in history as Alaric the Mad.

And so for centuries did the nemesis crown lie dormant below the soils of the Old World. Mankind expanded as the Dwarfen Empire of old began to decline, and it came to pass that the lands upon which one of the elder mines had been located was claimed by the Empire of Man, and this territory was called the Great Forest for on the surface it was a dark and brutal canopy of ancient trees, it's depths full of evil and wicked things such as the Grobbi or the Beastman. It was in this time that a disturbance in the earth created a schism in the land, a quake that revealed the ancient mine to those in the present.

And so did the Dwarf Hold of Zhufbar send out its veteran prospector, Ruggi Redbeard, to re-establish this mine and possibly expand the dwindling Dwarfen Empire. And it came about in a later time that Redbeards expedition was unheard of, and his cousin Thane Grombold did pledge an oath to find his cousin and his dwarfs, or die in the attempt.

And it came about in those days that Thane Grombold reached the Howling Hills, within which rumor claimed thick veins of Gromril lay underneath the Great Forest. And so did Grombold face his first test, attacked within the forest by the Forest Grobbi, riding their Arachnid beasts and screaming cries of bloodcurdling hate. And so did the dwarfs fight and destroy the Grobbi threat at great cost to their own. The dwarfs pressed on, reaching the entrance of the uncovered mine and entering in, taking time only to send for aide from the nearby Humans Empire. And it came to be that Thane Grombold found the six remaining dwarfs within a great cavern in the mines, five dead and the last quivering with insanity. And at this moment were the Dwarfs set upon by their ancient foe, those Grobbi that dwell within the ancient abandoned halls of the Dwarf. And so did a great battle commence, and that dwarf which had been stricken with insanity did escape the clutches of the Grobbi and did run from his rescuers. His brethren did follow him at great cost, escaping onto the surface and searching for him amongst the Great Forest.

And upon finding their brethren did the Dwarfs ally themselves with the their friends of Mankind against the Green Skinned menace, and so did Grombold rescue his lost brethren, and upon the battlefield did he hear the dreaded words which have created a schism in the world, “We found it! In a cavern… opened by an earthquake. By the axes of Valya… The… Nemesis Crown!”

And so did Mankind learn of the ancient Nemesis Crown, as did the hordes of that Green Evil Grimgor Ironhide through his trusted lieutenant Durkol Eye-Gouger. These happenings have been reported all through the world, and already under the command of the High King are the Dwarfs mustering to reclaim their ancient heirloom for good or for worse, and the Empire of Man has already begun it’s search within the Great Forest for the prize. And so have the Hordes of Grimgore Ironhide risen again, ready to battle any who come into the region, for Grimgor has lain claim to the lands of the Great Forest as his own. It has come to pass that every race will search for the Nemesis Crown, for Good or Ill.

Known Dates
Within the April White Dwarf the Nemesis Crown Advetisement gives multiple dates set for the campaign…

May 16 – Website Goes Live (Nemesis.Games-Workshop.com)
June 25 – Registration Opens
June 27 – Campaign Begins
Aug. 5 – Campaign Ends
Aug 10 – Results Posted

There were also some general dates for Miniature Releases
May – Orcs – Plastic Black Orcs, Plastic Boss & Standard Set, Gorbad Ironclaw
June – Dwarfs – Plastic Miners, Metal Heroes
July – Empire – Plastic Wizards, Plastic Flagellants, Another Plastic Kit & Metals

The Map

The Map and Campaign is being run like the Medusa V campaign for Warhammer 40k. Basically it is split into Regions, each one assigned to different areas in the Real World. Every battle reported from someone in that region, along with special events etc. go to those regions totals.
Regions
1. The Draken Downs (Italy)
2. Drakwald Deeps (Spain)
3. The Rek’s Marches (Canada)
4. Howling Heights (North Europe)
5. The Rauberdale (Germany)
6. The Great Confluence (Australia)
7. Talabcland Border (US)
8. The   (UK)
9. Taalford Lowlands (France)

How the Campaign Will be Run
As stated above, the Campaign will be run like the Medusa V campaign. Here’s what you basically do to participate. I’m going with exactly what you did in the MV campaign, so it may be different in some aspects.

- Register in proper Region (Includes Army Type, Commanders Name etc.)
- Receive a Player Number – Give this number to others, as it allows you to report games against these players. Games reported and confirmed in conjunction with other players are worth more than against unregistered players.
- Battle in any form of Warhammer (Skirmish to 10,000+ points)
- Report Battles – This is basicly very easy. Type in your opponents number, or select unregistered if they don’t have one or you don’t know it. You then select the end result (From Victorious Slaughter on through to Slaughtered). Finally you have a chance to put a small narrative report in on the battle. THIS IS THE MOST IPORTANT. If you really want to leave a mark on the campaign, especially as a group, DO NOT SHIRK THIS. If we can co-ordinate together we can get mentions (both as a group and as individuals).
- Confirm Other Battles. Generally you can only report a single battle a day. You r other battles must be reported by you opponents. Getting someone else to report their loss is hard, but if you can get them to it’s great.
- Read the Weekly Reports. During the Medusa V campaign every race had a weekly report comprised in a fluffy manor what is occurring around the world. This includes a General Report for the entire race in the Campaign, often including a message from their leader. It then includes reports from each of the regions and the races actions within them, and leads into Unit Citations. These are probably some of the best things, as while our reports are read, the best are submitted and reported within. This is where Commanders can win prestige amongst their own kind, as well as be denounced as traitors or grieved in their losses, and might I say it feels great to be in a world wide report. For an example of these reports look at the link below.
http://medusav.ca.games-workshop.com/campaign/factions/imperialguard/imperialguard3.htm
Note: I got a special mention in this one (I was Commander Axeus Harkon, mentioned in Unit Citations.)

To 'win' the Campaign, a race must control as many regions as possible. To accomplish this in each region, a race must have one of the highest Win % in the region. The exact equation for this isn't known (to me) but it works out. Trust me.

Why to Get Involved
For all you Campaign Nay-Sayers, this is a post from Da-Warpath which basicly sums up why ANYONE should play in this summers campaign from a ‘Past-Campaign’ standing.

Why to Get Involved - Unfortunatly, Da-Warpath is down right now. I'll get the link ASAP.

Empire Players Currently Involved
Jerok - Canada
Lemercenaire - Canada
Brian Lee - Chille (Reporting US)
Guvnor - UK
Warlord - AUS
Lachieo
Helblaster_of_Sigmar
Veldemere
Wissenlander
Reiksmarshal
Tostig
jlutin
Michael W
Ernst Brauer
BingoBongoEmpire

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:16:54 AM by Jerok »

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
Re: The Nemesis Crown - Information and Organization
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:08:46 AM »
Now for Organization!

As shown in the 1st post, the main way we can organize is through the battle-report-fluff we enter into our reports. Right now the furthest I can go with assuming the Empires storyline is that Karl Franz wants the Crown, right now it isn't truly known what he wants it for. We also know that if he gets ahold of it and uses it he will go crazy, which we don't really want as it will basicly cause the Empire to crack instead of get more powerful. The following are a few of ideas I was thinking of to make a mark on the storyline...    (Note: Glow means accepted ideas, the amrquee means to be voted on.)

Master Engineer on the Front
Other than the GW-chosen Character to lead us in the Campaign, it has been forwarded that we have a general scapegoat for any technical blunder/miracles for the Empire. So, Master Engineer (looking for name) of Nuln has been created. A character not meant to be on the battlefield, he oversses whatever he can from Deployment and Upkeep of Artillery and Firearms to the creation of strongholds and forts. If, in your game, you canon explodeds, blame it on him, he looked it over before the battle and 'tinkered' with it! If none of your handgunners can hit, blame it on him, he gave you bad gunpowder! If your Volley Gun decimates whole units or your Rocket Battery hits multiple times, praise him for inspecting it and tinkering. If the walls or trenches your defending hold or crumble, it's because of him! We can create a whole new fictional character like this! (Also, i'll make a thread during the campaign for him so you can report what he's done for/against you.)

Clear the Forest! - The Great Foret is a home for Greenskins and Chaos. It is just one more of those places in the Empire that we can't control. So, when theres tons of battles etc. going on in it, it right pisses us off. What do we do? Clear It! Every Empire General reports that they are actively clearing the forests in their area. Use any means possible, everything from forest fires to Mortars clearcutting to get the forest gone.
Tally - 1

Allies Ahoy! - We all post about aiding our allies the Dwarfs and Elves in their hunts for the Crown. The Empire knows we can't control it, so why not get someone who likes us to have it. HE could probably harness it (or trade for Pheonix Crown with Dwarfs) and it really is the Dwarfs, so they could have it. Why not get some real allies instead of circumstantial ones?
Tally - 0

Establish Forts - Just like #1, the Forest is a haven for evil. But instead of destroying resources li9ke #1, why not keep them. If we establish lots of Forts like the Bretts seem to have all over the place, with well fortified and laid roads (clear cut the forest along their edges like they did in the medieval age) then we can harness the Forest as a resource. These would be built by loyal forces and then would be given over to the commander as reagent over the lands under the guidance of the Empires Provinces
Tally - 1

We wants the precious! - Karl Franz and/or direct commanders have given orders that a full search is to commence for the crown. If found, all forces in the area are to be mustered in it's protection and safe keeping until KF can get there and wear it for the betterment of the Empire. (aka. KF wants it, it'll corrupt him.)
Tally - 0

Destroy the Ring... er... Crown! - Karl Franz/Commanders have given orders that if the crown is found, all possible methods of it's destruction are to be taken. (aka. KF knows it's too powerful, so decides to destroy it.)
Of course I'd like to hear any other ideas for this section, as well as opinions on my ideas. Other than that, I think writing an all encompassing before-story for the Empire would be a good thing. I know some people were thinking about it in the other thread, so let's lay down some actual guidelines for it.
Tally - 0

Finally, if anyone knows anything about who/where the narrators for the different regions are, PLEASE pm me as it will be very useful.

Jerok

P.S. - Any Canadian players please PM me as well, as organization at a Region level would be more effective and possible.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:29:50 AM by Jerok »

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:52:06 AM »
how big will the armies be?
I have CDO, it's OCD but in alphabetical order. The Way It Should Be!
W/L/D 8th ED Army of Awesomeness: 10/0/0 :)

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »
I'm glad you took the initiative to get us organized. I don't want more of the Empire  laid to waste in the official fluff, which could happen if things go badly for us in this campaign. Unfortunately I am living in South America and don't see much chance to take part in it myself. Wish I could though. I hope people have fun with this no matter what GW does or did in the past. This is all about fun anyway.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 01:41:31 AM »
Lachieo - The armies are any size you want for the battles unless for a pre-set GW event. Even then, you'd be suprised how lenient they are for mega-battles etc.

Brian Lee - Even though you're from South America you could probably still register under the US, and since you are from Seattle i doubt there would be a language barrier when it came to the site. You just wouldn't be able to participate in GW Store Events in the US. But check with your local GW (if you have one) to see what they're doing for the campaign.

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:44:25 AM »
Sweet! Sign me up then! :-D

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:13:46 AM »
Lachieo - Did you actually read the post or just skim it?

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:28:13 AM »
skim it hehe :-D why did I miss something?

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:30:02 AM »
Read "How the Campaign Will Be Run"

This is not a Forum-based campaign. This is a GW Worldwide Summer Campaign.

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 03:49:30 AM »
Jerok, good job! I think I am beginning to see how we can do things. I think we should start contacting other Empire Sites, and ask TWF and others if we can advertise for Empire Players to come here for inspiration/directions. Good start!
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:22 AM »
I already knew that, I meant I'll be taking part in it.

Offline lemercenaire

• Members
  • Priest Edward Yorkmir
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 04:45:40 AM »
Although I wont have that much time to play this summer :icon_cry: I'm ready to do my job :icon_cool:

I'm Canadien too so if you want me to PM you...just tell me how :icon_redface: ,I'm very nut with a computers :icon_confused:

LETS GET IT ON!!!
God ,if you wont help me then stay out of the way...

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 08:19:48 AM »
Would it not be best, despite ethical questions, for everyone at W-E to sign up at the same couple of locations and overwhelm them with empire wins, then to move on to the next few? Like a real army.

That way, we have the biggest effect and are most likely to in- and hopefully get the best fluff.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »
Well done Jerok, ok you have me fully signed up now if the campaign is as you say it is. Do you have any idea what the uptake was for Medusa V, is it 10000 plyers worldwide or is it 30? How did they manage to balance the different armies as surely some are more popular than others?
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
Would it not be best, despite ethical questions, for everyone at W-E to sign up at the same couple of locations and overwhelm them with empire wins, then to move on to the next few? Like a real army.

That way, we have the biggest effect and are most likely to in- and hopefully get the best fluff.
This was also suggested for Medusa V. The problem is that your opponents won't sign up for the other region too, so your Battle Reports would look like fakes and get deleted.

You also need to get good results in ALL regions to do well, not just one or two!

@Jerok - grand job sir! (I hope you don't mind me lootng your explanation of the campaign for Da Warpath - we were hacked at the weekend and we have to re-build our campaign plans from scratch!  :icon_sad: )
Adm'rul Kurgan Grimjaw of the Ironfang Pirate Fleet

Offline Bernadine Abendroth

• Members
  • Sister of Sigmar
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »
@Jerok - grand job sir! (I hope you don't mind me lootng your explanation of the campaign for Da Warpath - we were hacked at the weekend and we have to re-build our campaign plans from scratch!  :icon_sad: )

Sorry to hear that Kurgan, its a shame the internet is populated by so many pathetic people.

Offline WarbossKurgan

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 01:01:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kurgan, its a shame the internet is populated by so many pathetic people.
Too true!

We'll be back in about 24 hours, like a flami'n-bird-fing from da... um... flames!  :icon_rolleyes:
Adm'rul Kurgan Grimjaw of the Ironfang Pirate Fleet

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »
Clear the Forest! - The Great Foret is a home for Greenskins and Chaos. It is just one more of those places in the Empire that we can't control. So, when theres tons of battles etc. going on in it, it right pisses us off. What do we do? Clear It! Every Empire General reports that they are actively clearing the forests in their area. Use any means possible, everything from forest fires to Mortars clearcutting to get the forest gone.
Allies Ahoy! - We all post about aiding our allies the Dwarfs and Elves in their hunts for the Crown. The Empire knows we can't control it, so why not get someone who likes us to have it. HE could probably harness it (or trade for Pheonix Crown with Dwarfs) and it really is the Dwarfs, so they could have it. Why not get some real allies instead of circumstantial ones?
Establish Forts - Just like #1, the Forest is a haven for evil. But instead of destroying resources li9ke #1, why not keep them. If we establish lots of Forts like the Bretts seem to have all over the place, with well fortified and laid roads (clear cut the forest along their edges like they did in the medieval age) then we can harness the Forest as a resource.

I could see a combination of 1 and 3.  I don't think that it would be wise or even liked to have others establishing themselves in your lands.  Even if they are allies, allegiances can quickly change.  An agressive push to exterminate evils in the forest would be wise probably, using all of those left over mercenaries/soldiers that are drifting about from the SoC.  Then some ambitious general here or there could get a commission to establish a fort to control the area.  No point on clearing out something only to let it ger recluttered later with beasties and gobbos.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline reiksmarshall

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »
Im all for fluff orgainisation. Any notion of 'grand tactics' is wasted on a battle driven campaign, but if we turn our menaingless wins into a fluff victory, we coudl do well.

By that, I mean if we turn our standard wins (which will be a drop in the overall ocean of wins) into soemthing with lasting consequence, we could do well. Write that the forests are being cut down, that forts are being established - even the killing of known special characters - see if we can kill off a special character (lesser one like Khazak, or even one known in fluff like Hargroth) by the campaigns end!

Either way, we know how the campaign will end - empire devestated, etc. There is NO chance that will be avoided. What we can do is get them to say empire devestated BUT groups of hardened survivors are defending our many defensive areas, and the enemies so bloodied that we gain moral victory (after campaign all forces will retreat - unless they completely stonk an area they will never permanently gain an area - don't worry too much fluff fans). Oh, and it would be nice to win the Nemesis crown for ourselves - who knows what benefit it will have?
Supreme Commander of the Emperor's glorious armies, Grand Marshall of the Guardians of the Reik and Founder of the Anti-Helbalster Foundation!

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
HoS - That's my plan exactly! I'll soon be posting on Librarium Online and possibly Warseer, but i'm not sure of many other sites to go to. Perhaps we can compile a list of forum and sites. Oh, also, if there are any major DoW forums we should go there as well, since we are the most likely fluff-wise to hire them, and it would be nice to have their wins as well.

Lachieo - Sorry mate, thought you were asking me to sign you up or something.

Lemercenaire - Good to find another Canadian, even thoughI have the feeling your a Quebecan :dry:

Guvnor - Kurgans very right. Please read "How the Campaign will be Run" for info. In short though, it's not like SoC, it's by country/region.

Veldemere - I think it was more like 10,000 rather than 30. On the special event day at my local GW there were more than 30 people there. As for your other point, they balance it by %. I'll add that to the first post soon.

Kurgan - Not a problem mate. I forget if it was you or another on Da-Warpath, but the post about why people should compete in the campaign was really good. Hopefully you guys can get it back so I can link to it. Oh, just make sure you reference it as being from WE, as it'll probably rile some of you greenies.

Wissenlander - Very much agreed sir! You have my ideas down pat! Clear the forest and it provides less area for evil to hide in. Make some forts to establish some order, and make soe really big ones to command over the area under Heroes of the battle.

Reiksmarshal - While I don't think everyone posting the killing of a Special Character will do anything (GW will still want to use them for their own ends) more basic ideas will probably work. As an example, during the Medusa V campaign in my first and second battle reports I posted briefly about establishing a fortified outpost halfway between Hive Tisiphone (IG and SM) and Nazdregs Hulk (Orks). I then asked on the Canadian forums for any IG or SM players to mention it in their posts, and voila! While it didn't get direct mention, I did get a mention in the Unit Citations. So, doing things en mase that don't effect the storyline itself are more likely to get responses.

More Ideas
Currently we have the ideas Clear the Forest, Allies Ahoy and Fortify. I'm now proposing two opposits we can go for in direct relation to the Crown.

We wants the precious! - Karl Franz and/or direct commanders have given orders that a full search is to commence for the crown. If found, all forces in the area are to be mustered in it's protection and safe keeping until KF can get there and wear it for the betterment of the Empire. (aka. KF wants it, it'll corrupt him.)

Destroy the Ring... er... Crown! - Karl Franz/Commanders have given orders that if the crown is found, all possible methods of it's destruction are to be taken. (aka. KF knows it's too powerful, so decides to destroy it.)

Offline Tostig

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 08:29:07 PM »
"Surely the last thing the Empire of men needs is yet more bloodshed inflicted by those outside our borders? If the dwarves can deal with it, let the dwarves have it. If the elves want it, allow them to take it. If the haughty Bretonnians to the west crave this crown, let the fools succeed. However if this trinket means more beastmen raids, more greenskin butchery and more chaos onslaught into our homeland, it is a duty to Sigmar to beat them back! A duty to Sigmar to make sure no more challenge our mighty Empire! Men, we give no quarter!"

Note to self;- when writing eve of battle speeches stick to an Anglo-Saxon vocabulary. It suits the tone, as Churchill knew. Personally, I don't want any victory we may get to be a hollow one. Even if we get the crown, there will always be a lingering little "and the court of Karl Franz grows more odious to the people of the Empire day by day." as we experience its ill effects. I reckon that we ought to focus on fighting off incursions, clearing the forest and, if we do find the crown, have a council with our allies and try and get rid of it.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 08:32:33 PM »
Based on the way things are now and the PR that Karl Franz has going for him...
It looks like destroying the crown would be the path that would be taken.  Desiring the crown for the Empire's glory, etc. would be interesting.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 08:45:31 PM »
Clearing the forests. Do you think you could get other races onside in this?  :icon_question:
 I'm sure our greenskined friends would be happy to burn a few trees, as I assume will the dwarves. Elves probably won't.. but you just can't help some people.  :icon_rolleyes:

If we all write nice words like 'stability' and 'freedom' and 'political aims/targets' we should do well too. How about a list of good words to have. Or even a general template of reports. The more regular an item is, the more pressure they are under to include it.

@Jerok and WarbossKurgan: Are you suggesting they will be examining results for feasability? I can't see the GW that made a hash of both the OandG/Empire books, designed the mechanical horse and is selling a pewter rock for £1.25 is going to, a. bother and b. work it out.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 09:03:12 PM »
I think the whole course of Karl Franz going for the Crown for himself could be very interesting. The young, powerful, heroic, high sex appeal with the maidens, Champion of Good goes forth in righteous battle, slaughtering the foes of humanity, and finds a crown that can solidify his control of the Empire, and bring all races under his command. Voila, Chaos vanquished! Right? Well, not so much.

Returning from his glorious victory Karl Franz uses the crown to defeat the Tileans, gracefully accepting their inevitable resignation, and adds some very profitable provinces to his kingdom. After this glorious victory Karl Franz leads a hard, vicious, bitter fight against the Estileans, but eventually he takes that country as well, and only kills the leader of the country, who was of course evil. The people of these lands saw the might of the Empire and don't want to resist or fight an underground war. Then comes Marenburg.

So many grudges and cultural hatreds are mixed into this one, plus the revenge of the Count of Nordland, that the war is very bitter indeed. When Marienburg eventually falls Karl Franz is the first through the gates, but instead of a triumphal entry, subduing the last of the pockets of resistance, KF and his soldiers slaughter every man, woman and child in a great bath of blood. The Elector's are horrified, but due to Marienburg being very rebellious they over look this as the Marienburg citizens are most likely less trouble dead. But a few start to wonder about Karl Franz.

The Brettonians anger some minor border Graf, and he retaliates with force, the Brettonians slaugher him and his army, razing his castle to the ground. Karl Franz strikes back and there is a full blown war. By this time Karl Franz is nearly mad, but hiding it well. However, after a startling victory in which Montfort is captured Karl Franz reenacts Marienburg and slaughters everyone. But this time everyone takes notice, and a coalition of Brettonia, the High Elves and Kislev attack the Empire.  Soon the Empire is a tattered corpse of what it used to be, and Karl Franz eventually dies in his throne room, revealing the stigmata of Chaos upon his body, slain and exposed by Leon Leoncour. The Empire goes into debt and soon it is subject to internecine strife once more. It crumbles and falls into darkness, a shadow of its former glory.

So maybe Raukov or Todbinger could forsee this, and this could usher in a new Emperor for us? Just a thought. Karl Franz takes the crown, but is deposed by the Elector's because they realize its danger. This could provide the contrast that the Empire really needs background-wise.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline reiksmarshall

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »
Thats the background I want for the empire - something dark and gritty, a slow corruption at its very heart. Particularly of its famous leader, the great statesman that unified the Old World against chaos effectively. No one could believe that he of all people would fall unto chaos, and the conquering of Estalia and Tilea would be excellent for background and fluff - the merging of these armies into a 'southern' empire would be excellent. Not a rambling abusable book like chaos and beasts were, but two distinctive books, the 'south' a more fracticious empire, with lower tech and more superstition, and a re-emergence of the DoW (in another guise)

Of course, it would be hard to explain how we got to the places without going through Bretonnia...
Supreme Commander of the Emperor's glorious armies, Grand Marshall of the Guardians of the Reik and Founder of the Anti-Helbalster Foundation!