home

Author Topic: El Cheapo Greatswords  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war- MacArthur
El Cheapo Greatswords
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »
Seeing the new Grave Guard, has given me fantasical idea!

Take the model, green stuff flowing cloaks over the boney bits, paint in a semi-empire style, and bang, el cheapo Great swords. Hell, they are even armed with great weapons.

Admittedly, it wouldn't fit in with some army fluffs, and some army looks, but it would definitely fit into some of the less Empirey looking Empire armies.

Is this idea plausible? Pay day is rapidly approaching, and I want to know if it is doable before I buy anything.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

Caiaphus.
"I would hate for some...Imperial General to get banned from such an excellent site because of an extraneous penis"

Rufas the Ecccentric (R.I.P)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: El Cheapo Greatswords
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
So wait... you are thinking about buying a bunch of models you need to do extensive work on to get to look passible as Empire.  In order to save money...

You know you can still buy 10 man boxes of Greatswords if you look around online right?  Which cost $35 as opposed to the $25 Grave guard?  You want to do all this work for $10 savings and a model that look far less Imperial?

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
In short. Yes. But, I do get twice the amount of models. I am talking about the new plastic ones...

Where as you, with your cat fetish, scare us. Well, when I say us, I don't really mean us, I mean me. Besides, you're a heretic. :icon_smile:
"I would hate for some...Imperial General to get banned from such an excellent site because of an extraneous penis"

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »

Top and bottom right are EMPIRE plastics....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »
...So the general concencus (sp) is no?

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »
My general consensus is :

Stay away from those heretics before they taint you and make you do strange things to cats.... :biggriin:

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Amen brother. I always was a dog person.

No! I'm OTing my own thread. The ultimate disgrace. Or achievement.

But seriously now, anyone who has seen the sprues. Would such an idea work?

Offline BingoBongoEmpire

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 01:00:13 PM »
I think the general idea is that the Empire plastics available are capable of making Greatsword substitutes that are not only perfectly passable at worst, but can actually look pretty darned good. Most of the time with the kitbashed versions you're looking at a generally far lower amount of actual modeling as it is often more the case of selecting the right bits from the enormous range we have available and finessing the parts to look how you want.

Certainly if you think the Grave Guard look like you want your Greatswords to appear then knock yourself out, likewise if you're quite happy about spending what would be quite a lot of time and effort in converting them. If you're just looking for a cheaper, more plentiful alternative to the metal models then there are definitely more efficient ways to do it.

To answer the sprue question, I have a couple of boxes of the Grave Guard and I honestly think they would be far more trouble than they're worth. If you do a pretty heavy amount of work on them they could look impressive, but not really as an Empire unit. As part of a well converted pre-VC Sylvanian army they could work though.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
My general consencus: Find yourself a reason to need free company, archers or crossbowmen and buy some old militia boxes. Convert GS from that.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
If you've got bits lying around you could try a trade with someone for the necessary parts.  If you can get some militia greatsword arms along with the leg plate pieces, and if you already have a standing stock of bodies then it will be far easier and cheaper for you.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »
Am I the only one tempted to use the contents of several empire general kits to create kickass inner circle knights and greatswords?

It's the best option for plastic greatswords within the current range of models.  :icon_razz:

Really though, greatsword prices aren't too bad when you do a price/ points comparison with the state troops. I'd probably recommend buying the command box regardless and filling up the back ranks with the plastics.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:08:52 PM by scarletsquig »

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
I`ve thought about doing my own greatswords a couple of times now ... but the amount of time you would need to invest (under the supposition, that you are good with GS), to get an acceptable result, compared to the save of money, stands in no relation I think.

I would go for the metal models (well ... I did anyway ... some of the best GW empire/human sculpts!) 

Offline Longinus

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
Am I the only one tempted to use the contents of several empire general kits to create kickass inner circle knights and greatswords?

No, you are not the only one...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »
In short. Yes. But, I do get twice the amount of models. I am talking about the new plastic ones...

The new Grave Guard are £15 ($25-$30 ?) for 10 - did you realise that given the above statement.

However I have bought a box each of the GG and the new Skellies and there are some interesting bits that could be used for Empire conversions - particularly some armour shoulder pads that are a lot smaller than the oversized chaos ones.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Alexander de Wissont

• Members
  • Missing our most Eccentric member, a great man
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »
However I have bought a box each of the GG and the new Skellies and there are some interesting bits that could be used for Empire conversions - particularly some armour shoulder pads that are a lot smaller than the oversized chaos ones.
I love the oversized things... That's what makes warhammer warhammer IMO. :icon_rolleyes:
Everything in one way or another references Monty Python
Rufas the Eccentric.RIP

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »
I am making a very differentiating knights unit: each knight will have it's own weaponry type.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 11:42:05 PM »

Thinking about and doing are 2 different things  :evil:

Although unfortunately it will be a while before they are painted, and therefore displayed here...  :blush:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 06:53:24 AM »
Perhaps I should have spent more time describing what I want to do, and less time Oting my own thread.

Firstly, I would cut off any obvious Undead things, like bats, skulls, etc. Then, I would greenstuff over the bones, so they are wearing long robes, possibly also giving them cloaks. Then, I would give them an Empire helmeted head, probably one from the Knights.

So, the result would be an evil looking Great weapon wielding robed man. Not overly Empire I know, but I think it would look cool.

But....no?

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 07:14:22 AM »
Up to you really....

Why not make one and show what you mean.

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
Ah! A challenge! Very well. I shall.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 07:59:46 AM »
If you already do want different-looking GS's, you might as well base them on the Grave Guard models. It should look good if you pull it off  :smile2:
Firstly, I would cut off any obvious Undead things, like bats, skulls, etc. Then, I would greenstuff over the bones, so they are wearing long robes, possibly also giving them cloaks. Then, I would give them an Empire helmeted head, probably one from the Knights.
It's all good, apart from the empire knight helmets. I think that would just look stupid. However, if you're using knight helmets you might as well chop the ornaments off of the Knights Panther heads, they look pretty good and gothic.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline yiradati

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 08:07:46 AM »
SirUlrich has made some fantastic robed greatswords using dark elf legs and wood elf heads as well as empire bits. Check them out.

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17685.msg203262#msg203262

Offline Longinus

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 03:09:25 PM »
I recommend that you use flagellant or white wolf arms, as greenstuffing skeleton arms would probably be horribly difficult. Also, if you would use flagellant heads as well, you would have some very cool armoured warrior monks.

However, if your only motivation for doing this is to save some money, I really think it is worth all the trouble. There must be easier ways to save ten bucks...

Offline cubantie

• Members
  • cat in a hat
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »
Perhaps I should have spent more time describing what I want to do, and less time Oting my own thread.

So, the result would be an evil looking Great weapon wielding robed man. Not overly Empire I know, but I think it would look cool.

But....no?

give it a try, it could look the shit. Granted you gotta be pretty good with green stuff. Also i recommend brettonia knightheads, alot better then the empire ones with all the feathery shizzle
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 11:03:41 PM »
I was thinking now the Wood elf hooded heads..give them a warrior monk kind of feel. Well, next Tuesday is pay day, so I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

And no, I'm not overly good with GS, but I reckon I might be able to pull it off. If not, I know people who are awesome with GS, and they owe me a favour.  :laugh:

EDIT: Well, I just checked the prices, and 10 Grave Guard are 40, and 5 Greatswords are 30. So, I will be saving a lot. If I can pull it off.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:07:01 PM by Caiaphus »