home

Author Topic: Blood Bowl ... Mid Atlantic Cup vs Wiss!  (Read 37748 times)

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: Blood Bowl ... first proper game!!
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
On a side note they do like the Fantasy Flight card game Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Not sure if anyone has played it but it's also great fun.

I've got it and while it is fun, it really is nothing like the boardgame. It really only shares the background. I do like the fact that more than two people can play Bloodbowl Team Manager though. I'm looking forward to the expansion for it this year.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »
We played the 'three minute turn rule' and games took a while.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
So I had a game while Wiss was down, with the man himself and criminally forgot to report it here. I used my humans and he used my newly painted orcs. I didn't really know how it would go, being so new to it. But here's a few pics.

I still don't really know what a good set up is for kickoffs. I guess it varies depending on your team and players, but hey, we did what we could.

I think I kicked off to him and it ended up in a nice pocket of Black Orcs, aghh!

With them being so slow though it took forever to get to my endzone and one step away, he fell over and fumbled the ball!

I felt like I was in a bit of trouble even now, holding the ball in my own endzone with orcs all around...

But I figured ok, keep your nerve, I dodged round the orcs and moved as far as I could, ready to lob a dodgy long bomb upfield...

Then the amazing happened... a catch under pressure! Surely I couldn't...

But I did... touchdown on the stroke of halftime... which sadly was where we had to stop due to ladyfolks being horrified that we were only halfway through, hehe.

Bit of a rotten intro to the game I must admit to feeling a bit bad. Having tried to advise as best I could, to let him get so close and then nab a sneak win I didn't even really know was possible... Wiss said he really enjoyed it, as you can see here...

But seriously it was a lot of fun and the way it played out was dramatic, if totally morally wrong. I know that had we carried on James would have kept a bit more in his backfield to help prevent such shennaigans. We just didn't really count on the explosive human pace and me lucking out all my rolls. Great game Bloodbowl is. I actually got in a full game with my brother, think I have a couple of pics of that which I will at some point come back and put up.

Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
We did play lots of other games, as I will prove now:

Catan, I also snuck an outrageous win in this one!

Elder Sign, my favourite new game of the weekend. I think I was on fire because everything I did in this game just worked too. People kept saying that this or that room was gonna be a big problem for us. I was so overconfident that I took those every time and just kept getting stronger and stronger, amusing. I love the teamwork aspect of it. You either all win or all die. Nice!

Ticket to Ride... I wasn't involved in this in the end as I was playing...

...Dominion. I forget who won this. I think I may have joint won. Like I say, outrageous weekend!

My poker face.  :-P

Wolfy suggests to Wiss that Wissenlanders are just traitor Sollanders. Wiss deathrays him to oblivion.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »

Wolfy suggests to Wiss that Wissenlanders are just traitor Sollanders. Wiss deathrays him to oblivion.

Wolfy is messing with some primal forces here...
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Blood Bowl ... Wissenlander's invasion!
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »
Agreed... one day we will make them play it out on the battlefield Wissenland vs Solland... though it will mean making Wiss play Warhammer again... maybe 9th edition will snag him back in...  :|

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:08 AM »
I tend to lose every time we play something.  The one exception being the mega battle that we can't seem to find.

I did have a lot of fun.  I looked at the card game briefly but it didn't seem to have the same feel.  I haven't looked any further into online sources.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2013, 12:47:11 AM »
Also, its nice to see other fans of Dominion. Do you play just the standard game? Do you own any expansions that you recommend?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline WolfyGriess

• Members
  • Grandmaster of the Sanguine Temple
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2013, 01:43:15 AM »
Agreed... one day we will make them play it out on the battlefield Wissenland vs Solland... though it will mean making Wiss play Warhammer again... maybe 9th edition will snag him back in...  :|

I am still very much looking forward to this. It will mean I need to do a lot more painting though.

Thoroughly enjoyed all the games, Elder Sign being fantastic. As for Dominion, we now have five boxes and we are eagerly eyeing up the others!
I... I... I don't know what to say.  I think I like you very much.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
Does wissenlander ever smile?  :ph34r:

Is Elder Sign a Cthulu game? I'll have to look that up.

Anyway, it looks like you had fun! I'm jealous!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »
I will answer all of these questions and more when I get back from work!

Afterall, finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...  :icon_razz:

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
But seriously it was a lot of fun and the way it played out was dramatic, if totally morally wrong. I know that had we carried on James would have kept a bit more in his backfield to help prevent such shennaigans. We just didn't really count on the explosive human pace and me lucking out all my rolls. Great game Bloodbowl is. I actually got in a full game with my brother, think I have a couple of pics of that which I will at some point come back and put up.

If you think Humans can have an explosive pace, try out an Elf or Skaven team. They will run across the pitch lickity-slit many many times during the game.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:39 PM »
If you think Humans can have an explosive pace, try out an Elf or Skaven team. They will run across the pitch lickity-slit many many times during the game.

I have some dark eldar waiting to become an elf team, will be fun to try them out...

Yes it is I think, not that I know much about cthulu stuff. But the concept is that there is a big monster guy who is asleep but gradually approaching wakefulness. You have to try and defeat him before he can wake because once he does things go downhill fast. You have a bunch of characters to choose from and they each have specialities. What I really liked was the teamwork aspect, though the mechanics also worked really nicely. It looks horribly complicated at first, but isn't as bad once you get going. Excellent game!

And yes, we did have fun! It's the closest to the euro bash that we get  :wink:

Also, its nice to see other fans of Dominion. Do you play just the standard game? Do you own any expansions that you recommend?

The expansions for dominion are so so worth it. The ones I have had most experience with are seaside and intrigue. Both of them bring a whole lot of new stuff to the game and the whole mix and match aspect is multiplied so many many times. I would point you at either of those first. Or prosperity if you want to add the whole new level of a bigger coin and bigger victory card. I haven't played many of the kingdom cards from prosperity yet though as my brother only got it relatively recently.

I tend to lose every time we play something.  The one exception being the mega battle that we can't seem to find.

Yes, it's annoying that the mega battle seemingly disappeared. Maybe one of the mods can shine some light. We had a battle report up on the forum a couple of years back from our first bash but for all our searching, we cannot find it. Does old stuff ever get deleted?

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
Does wissenlander ever smile?  :ph34r:

Yes, it is a Cthulhu mythos game. It is pretty much Arkham Horror light. You are exploring the different locations trying to roll the combination of dice results needed to defeat the monster or objective. If you succeed you get a reward, sometimes equipment, some times blessings (if you are using the expansion), and some times Elder Signs, which are required to keep the Elder God from awakening. If you fail something bad happens, usually losing life or stamina, sometimes getting curses, or more monsters, or help bring the Elder God closer to awakening. If the Elder God awakens you have to directly attack it, which is usually much more difficult than keeping him asleep. The catch is that neither option is easy to do. You seldom win by getting enough Elder Signs to keep the God from awakening and once he does awaken you usually don't have enough resources to defeat him as well.

Of the four times I've played it we lost 3 times. The last time we played it we won and it was against one of the easier Gods to defeat once he awakens. Even though he was easier, 2 of the 4 players were killed by him and me and the other player were one trophy away from getting killed ourselves.  It really is a hard game to win, but really that's how a Cthulhu game should be.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:20:41 PM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »

Too bad North Carolina is just a bit too far away. That's about a 16 hour drive away, depending on which part of the state you are in. I've got a group of people here that play a lot of Boardgames on a regular basis. We play all the same games you guys played and more. It would be nice to get together and play some time.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »

The main difference seems to be our redhead smiles .............. occasionally.

Of course we have more drunken topless behaviour too ................

:engel:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
Of the four times I've played it we lost 3 times. The last time we played it we won and it was against one of the easier Gods to defeat once he awakens. Even though he was easier, 2 of the 4 players were killed by him and me and the other player were one trophy away from getting killed ourselves.  It really is a hard game to win, but really that's how a Cthulhu game should be.

Wiss said similar about his games, that he had lost more than they had won. But I don't think we lost a single time of the 3 or 4 times we played. Of course that may have been my hot streak that helped a lot. I took all the hardest rooms and only failed to beat one one time. I would love to have that kind of lucky streak in a warhammer game some day...  :engel:

Too bad North Carolina is just a bit too far away. That's about a 16 hour drive away, depending on which part of the state you are in. I've got a group of people here that play a lot of Boardgames on a regular basis. We play all the same games you guys played and more. It would be nice to get together and play some time.

What we need is to find a friendly forumite who lives in Kentucky, then we can all converge on them!  :wink:

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »

Some types of drunken topless behavior is better than others though......

:evil:
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »

Challenge accepted! We might be meeting up with Wiss in November... expect nudity!

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »

The hot chicks still seem to prefer strip poker with Prince Harry.  :engel:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
Everyone prefers strip poker with Prince Harry.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
The queen is not amused.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »
Hmmm, I want to play Elder Sign.

Challenge accepted! We might be meeting up with Wiss in November... expect nudity!

It's not a real party without inappropriate nudity!

More helpfully:

Yes, it's annoying that the mega battle seemingly disappeared. Maybe one of the mods can shine some light. We had a battle report up on the forum a couple of years back from our first bash but for all our searching, we cannot find it. Does old stuff ever get deleted?

Maybe you mean this one?

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37119.0

It includes another picture of wissenlander not smiling!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:32 PM »
That picture of Wiss staring Siberious down is a classic. :::cheers:::

Loved seeing the Blood Bowl game.  I've never been really interested, but after those pictures, I am.

Good see you folks having so much fun with the various games.  I enjoy Dominion and Catan, never played the other one.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
There is no suck thing as inappropriate nudity. All nudity is appropriate.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.