home

Author Topic: 8th edition on route.  (Read 139948 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: 8th edition on route.
« Reply #325 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
My list didn't give me any free stuff before. The infantry has gone down and the tanks and chimeras up. Chimeras are up from 65 to 93

I suppose the melta guns have gone up due to the d6 damage while plasma is only two

My list has five, inc a tank commander. They all operate separately now which is good. Also shoot everything without penalty  except the minus one for moving and shooting heavy weapons
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #326 on: June 21, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
Also shoot everything without penalty  except the minus one for moving and shooting heavy weapons
Not for the turret heavy weapons on the LRBT's though, if I remember correctly.

IG look particularly tasty.
- two squads of 40 conscripts with 2 commissars behind to keep them in the fight
- two heavy weapon teams (I like autocannons)
- 2 regular infantry squads
- a veteran squad in chimera
 Then just two company commanders, two platoon commanders, and the rest all heavy vehicles. Two basilisks at least cause they look good and I haven't used them for ages, two battle tanks and a demolisher.

Comes out to around 2000 points I think depending on what you arm the tanks with.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #327 on: June 21, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
What are the basilisk rules?  If they are similar to the other battle cannon style models they took a beating with the blah stick.  They are probably better against vehicles but nowhere near as effective against infantry.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #328 on: June 21, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
Basilisk can shoot anywhere, roll two D6 and pick the highest shots, S9 -2 sv and d3 damage. Good for vehicles and heavy infantry/bikes. Not great for light infantry. That is what the wyvern is for 4D6 shots anywhere with reroll to wound S4 1 damage

So why you complaining!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #329 on: June 21, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Had my first game with 500 points Tau. Was a blast in more then one way :)
Though I did not have a lot of luck, my piranha got shot to bits in his first turn by the dunecrawler
And (with learning my opponents army) I realized that trying to take down his dunecrawler and/or priest is a difficult task if your few heavy hitting weapons wiff
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #330 on: June 21, 2017, 09:40:33 PM »
My list didn't give me any free stuff before. The infantry has gone down and the tanks and chimeras up. Chimeras are up from 65 to 93

I suppose the melta guns have gone up due to the d6 damage while plasma is only two

My list has five, inc a tank commander. They all operate separately now which is good. Also shoot everything without penalty  except the minus one for moving and shooting heavy weapons

My buddy who plays IG had the same experience today. Apparently it's NOT just the free stuff taken away. I also put together an Ork list at barely 2,000 points at Brigade level to get NINE command points! Guess I won't miss the Lucky Stick with all those re-rolls. :)
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #331 on: June 21, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »
I think a lot of the points increases are in vehicles, which are now much more durable than previously.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #332 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:20 PM »
Yes, vehicles are much tougher than before.  You need to put real effort into killing them.

Having said that, the biggest change to the game in my opinion is the changes made to the damage chart.  The fact that most weapons will wound most things on no worse than a 5+ is huge.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »
Indeed, big stuff is tougher but everything now stand a chance, albeit small, to actually being able to do something.

Also, I love that the Guards officers have the ability to order "Fix bayonets!"  :biggriin:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »
I checked out dark imperium in store, and don't actually like the nurgle models too much.
The space marines are ok. I like the jetpack double pistol dudes, but not enough to get the box.

so books it is for me.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #335 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »
You should be able to get double-pistol dudes inexpensively on eBay, I am guessing. Plenty of people will be parting the kit out.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
I dont like em enough to get a primaris force.
Although I guess IMPERIUM key word = can add some to whatever!

Are terminators any good now? Always quite fancied a dark angles/death wing force

Pass the machete.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
Yeah, if you go "IMPERIUM" you can do what you like - right now, I don't see any negatives to you fielding an all AdMech force but calling it "IMPERIUM" so you can add some Buzz Lightyears in there.

On the Termies; https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/ there is a profile there.

Dark Angels information here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/14/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-non-codex-space-marines/

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
Seeing a bare profile is fairly meaningless without context- I'm not that good at math hammer!

Pass the machete.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
The take-home I got from it was they are significantly more durable (more than twice) vs. regular infantry weapons, but are no better against stuff that does extra damage and / or has higher save mod. Those guys are going to just shrug off bolter fire that will slaughter Tactical Marines. A Terminator-heavy force will be durable but expensive.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
What's going to take getting used to for me is having to buy the weapons for my units instead of just paying for upgrades. At first, I assumed that the basic kit a unit comes with was included, but I was mistaken. I guess they were saying that it will make it easier if they have to tweak weapon points along the way if something is under/overcosted. So my Land Raider definitely shot up in points!

I'd say my biggest gripe right now is tanks not being able to shoot if some weedy infantry charges them. True, you can fall back, but unless you're a super heavy, tough luck, no shooting. Either fight melee or throw it in reverse. Confound your swords and bolt pistols!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:55:15 PM by Syn Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
Really like the new objective models. Here is a assembled group by mongoose matts.

https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Played my first game last night. 1500pts maelstrom game. Deadlock mission, hammer and anvil deployment. I played with my mechanised guard against chaos marines

I had

Captain - plasma pistol and power fist
command squad - 3 melta in chimera
Commissar - plasma pistol and power sword
vet squad with 3 plasma in chimera
vet squad with 2 melta and HF in chimera
Primaris psyker
Leman russ
Leman Russ
Leman Russ vanquisher
SWS with sniper rifles
Vendetta
tech priest

He had

Fabius Bile
Sorcerer
2 x  10 marines in Rhinos
8 chosen in rhino
maulerfiend
5 terminators
5 raptors

I lost 14-12, game ending in turn 5.

I enjoyed it, it is much streamlined and played quickly, even with the various rules looking up. At the end I all three leman russ tanks undamaged, the snipers, my captain and tech priest and a couple of vets with a chimera. He only had 7 marines and a terminator.

lessons learned:
Flyers can't just fly down the middle of the board any more, they get shot up by basic ground fire.
3 TL las cannons will blast a rhino to pieces a turn
Snipers are okay and cheap at 30pts for the squad, mortal wounds on six to wound
Tech priests are good in combat, mine killed fabius bile and 4 marines easily without losing a wound with his omnissarian axe and servo arm.
Characters last longer, especially guard ones
You need infantry as this seems to die quicker, i was out numbered by marines
Tanks are expensive in points.
Vanquishers are rubbish. The -1 to hit on weapons other then turret means 5+ most of time and the guns are to many points. The multi meltas might be coming off for HB as you can split fire.
[/URL]
[/img]
just to prove it happened. Looking forward to another game, but need to paint more infantry. The mech guard approach isn't working. In the mean time i'm going with my elysians next game and Revilers the one after that.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
great! Hope to encounter them next bash!

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2017, 08:11:20 PM »
Thank you, FR1DAY.

I only have the Chaos Index, and notice my CSM marines can no longer fire out of my Rhinos. Can your Vets shoot out of the Chimera?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »
Nothing can shoot out of anything except Sisters out of the Repressor I think. I could be wrong.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »
Nothing can shoot out of anything except Sisters out of the Repressor I think. I could be wrong.

I've been hearing/reading the same thing. Mech-guard ain't what it used to be! :)

Hope to get my first game of 8th in this Friday; CSM against all comers . . . for Khorne does not care from where the blood flows . . . as long as it flows . . .

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #347 on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
Glad you had fun fr1day!

Back to the marines for some winning!!

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #348 on: June 29, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »

Open topped vehicles allow models inside to shoot.  Both Trukks and Battle Wagons are open topped.

• Members
« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »

Open topped vehicles allow models inside to shoot.  Both Trukks and Battle Wagons are open topped.

So are tau tidewalls  :happy: