home

Author Topic: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfs  (Read 9201 times)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
The Penguin's Desert Dwarfs
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
Good day, ladies and gentlemen!  :smile2:

It's been a while since I posted here, but this time it is something special!

Golden Sands Desert is a large and empty place. For miles and miles around there is only sand and heat. However, even this gods-forgotten place is inhabitable. Desert orcs, dwarfs and humans live here. So today we start our journey to this forbidding land and we shall start with local dwarfs.

Little is known about this kin, however what is well known is that they are able traders, slavers and warriors. Local humans have relatively good relations with them, since desert dwarfs do not see them  as potential target of slave raids. Orcs and goblins, on the other hand are terrified of them. Greenskins in their hundreds are used to build marvelous architectural wonders that desert dwarfs are known for. Perhaps we'll see some soon.....

Desert Dwarfs Blacksouls
It is not entirely clear why these warriors call themselves "Blacksouls". Some say that they are actually prisoners, forced to fight for their ruler, but in reality they just enjoy that nickname, since it confuses and frightens their enemies and thus gives them an advantage.

Desert Dwarfs Decimators
These professional missile troops are a rare sight on the battlefield, since they are armed with extremely powerful (and expensive) blunderbusses. Each one is a work of art and is extremely valuable.

More coming soon! Any comments, please?  :blush:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
Wow, that seems like a well done idea to me, excellent! :icon_eek: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
The Penguin strikes again!
Excellent army!  Are these actual chaos dwarves of lore? That they seem to get along with humies make them seem a more    respectable (?!) type of dwarf.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
Wow, that seems like a well done idea to me, excellent! :icon_eek: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Thank you very much!  :smile2:

The Penguin strikes again!
Excellent army!  Are these actual chaos dwarves of lore? That they seem to get along with humies make them seem a more    respectable (?!) type of dwarf.

No, it is not, I am afraid.  :smile2: I place my armies in KoW world of Mantica, and it is much more open to different versions of armies than GW ever was. )

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »
Quote penguin:
No, it is not, I am afraid.  :smile2: I place my armies in KoW world of Mantica, and it is much more open to different versions of armies than GW ever was. )

I think I like this version better.  May have to look at KoW a little closer.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:45 AM »
Those look great!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »
Great job :eusa_clap:

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
And some more pics of my desert-dwelling dawi.  :smile2:

Slave Desert Orcs

Golden Sands Desert orcs are a brutal lot. They will attack any trading caravan or adventurer that they meet. These animals are afraid of only two things. Ophidian magic and dwarven shackles. Magic would disintegrate in a second, so it is not that bad after all. Being enslaved by desert dwarfs means servitude for life: never-ending work on ziggurats and monuments. Those are allowed to fight for their masters usually gain freedom: either they are released if they saved a life of a dwarf, or they manage to escape, or they die like proper servants should. With their master.

Desert Dwarf Immortals

Desert Dwarf Immportals unlike Blacksouls are professional warriors. In order to get this honorary title a dwarf should either earn it by feats of great courage or bravery on the battlefield, or earn it by long-time service in the army. As a result most Immortals regiments are comprised of older dwarfs. And an older dwarf is usually a fatter and even slower dwarf. However they are usually richer than their younger kin, so can afford better weaponry and armour.

Desert Dwarfs Chariots of Fire

Many aspects of Desert Dwarfs' life is unclear. One of the mysteries is why they call their chariots "Chariots of Fire". They have no (visible, at least) fiery enchantments on them, or any real fire that dwarf charioteers use during combat. Most likely the name was given because of the polished bronze sides of the chariots that glitter in the sun like raging fire. Thundering blindingly glittering monstrosity that goes your way does indeed terrify foes of desert dawi.

Desert Dwarfs Berserks
Ophidian scholars speculate as to who exactly these half-naked brutes are. Are they bound by some grand oaths? Are they cursed by unknown magics? Do they drink some kind of potion which makes them so aggressive? In reality these are the dwarfs who lost their bighats. A proper desert dwarf will never part with one, unless it goes off with the head of the owner. Those who had their hat stolen or destroyed by some other means should earn it back at all costs. The only way to do it is to take enough skulls of enemies that will make the full height of the said hat if put one atop another (which is usually 2-3 skulls). After they earn their hat back some return to everyday life or join ranks of Blacksouls or Immortals. Some, however, "lose" their hats too often and keep fighting among the hatless just for the fun of it.

More will follow soon!  :smile2:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
Wow, awesome!  And I love the bleaker look for the skin color of the desert orcs! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:28:24 PM »
They look awesome. I'm with GP, the color of the skin looks really good as well.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »
The skins tones of these minis are what really makes them look great. I can easily believe that they've spent their whole lives in the desert. I would not want to encounter them during a trek through the endless sands! :Ohmy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
I think these have the best skin tone. I’d like to see my 40k orks in this scheme
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:21 PM »
I love them Dwarf's. What brand and colour did you use for the flesh. Didn't the original Chaos Dwarf's use slave Hobgoblins ?

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:00 AM »
Wow, awesome!  And I love the bleaker look for the skin color of the desert orcs! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Thank you very much!  :smile2:

They look awesome. I'm with GP, the color of the skin looks really good as well.

Thanks. )  :smile2:

The skins tones of these minis are what really makes them look great. I can easily believe that they've spent their whole lives in the desert. I would not want to encounter them during a trek through the endless sands! :Ohmy:

Yes, most likely a lone traveler will not survive such an encounter. ) Thanks a lot! )  :smile2:

I think these have the best skin tone. I’d like to see my 40k orks in this scheme

Thank you! Do share your Orks should you paint them!  :::cheers:::

I love them Dwarf's. What brand and colour did you use for the flesh. Didn't the original Chaos Dwarf's use slave Hobgoblins ?

Yhanks a lot!  :smile2: I use Vallejo Paints, more specifically Refractive Green (a bit toned down).  :smile2:
Yes, WHFB CD used both orks and hobgoblins. But since I play KoW and there is no such unit as hobgoblins there, I stick to orks. )

And another update:  :smile2:

Desert Bulltaurs

Barbaric nomadic tribes of bulltaurs have been roaming the endless desert for centuries long before the dawi or elves, or humans settled here. When the dawi first erected their ziggurats and palaces the bulltaurs, who were originally hostile to the settlers, were amazed by the beauty and grandeur of the architecture. However when they saw reliefs and statues of lamassu which dwarfs used frequently in their style they saw it as a divine sign. Lamassu were on one hand like the bulltaus, but had wings and were extremely handsome (by their standards). As a result bulltaurs see lamassu akin to how humans see angels: perfect divine beings that deserve adoration and worship. Unlike angels, no one saw a real lamassu, however. Even the oldest and the most learnt dwarfs can't say where this image came from. Perhaps they are extinct or never even existed?

Slave Desert Orcs on Boars
Boars do not dwell in Golden Sands Desert, so orcs usually raid bordering lands or trade looted (from adventurers, traders or locals) valuables for them. A boar and his rider rarely part, even in slavery. Dwarfs, however, value them highly, because boars can be used both for transporting cargo (bulltaurs never do that, since consider that to be a dishonorable occupation) or used as fast cavalry in battle. Some odd dwarfs even pay to get a position of their driver. I wonder why?

"Gargoyle" Prototypes

Desert dwarfs like decorating their dwellings, monuments and palaces with bronze, golden or silver statues. Once an ambitious (and somewhat insane by local standards) engineer was having a stroll in the famous gardens of Zhurr-Morrah. Suddenly an idea came to him: why not animate the statues? Making golems is nothing new, but attaching rockets to their back is something absolutely different! As a result some desert dwarf armies use these golem/machine prototypes to screen the advancing troops. They do not survive long though, since the engineer has not yet come with the solution as to how to make them land.

Desert Dwarf Bomber

Engineering is a well-respected profession in Desert Dwarf society. Some engineers specialize on steam machinery, some on weapons, some on explosives. The latter are highly valued because the success that Desert Dwarf armies have in keeping in bay feral orks, snobbish humans, or restless undead is largely due to them. Some eccentric engineers join the army and pack as many explosives or bombs as possible only to rain them on the enemy during combat. When you hear maniacal laughter and hear explosions, better stay clear of that area, no matter whether you are a friend or a foe.

Desert Firelings

Technically these nasty pests are akin to efreeti, however Ophidian wizards still debate on the matter. Some say they are unformed fire elementals, who roam the land in search of sources of heat. That is why most of them can be spotted in hot deserts or volcanic plains in the north. Desert Dwarf sorcerers have managed to tame them and use them effectively on the battlefield. They can't really win you a battle, but are perfect for distracting big blocks of enemy infantry from your positions.

Another update coming soon! Hope you enjoyed that one!  :blush:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
What an army! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 01:07:23 AM »
That is a really cool army!

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
Thanks a lot, guys!  :smile2:

Some more today:

Greater Golem

Each Desert Dwarf Greater Golem is a work of art of its own kind. They are created not only to strike fear in the hearts of enemies, but also to inspire their own troops by showing the magnificent mastery and sense of beauty of the artisans and mages who created these amazing automaton constructs.
Greater Golems are decorated with mostly gold, silver, bronze and iron. Some of those who envy the mastery of Desert Dwarfs say that they spotted clay (!) that was supposedly used to mask or repair cracks in the leg area of the golem. Bah, what nonsense, isn't it?!

Desert Dwarf Lord's Court

Desert Dwarf lords are numerous and have different titles. One remains unchanged: a wise ruler will surround himself with equally wise people. Only a fool will rely on his own opinion in matters of war and peace, so Desert Dwarf lords are usually accompanied by two viziers. Not only are they a great help in civil routine, but also powerful sorcerers on the battlefield.

Desert Dwarf Architect

Architects are a weird lot. Sometimes they are cruel beyond measure with their whip and slaves shiver just by mentioning the name, but sometimes they are inspired individuals who design architectural wonders and would dance around a stone column decorating it with most intricate ornaments for the whole day. However when time of war comes they often accompany Desert dwarf armies, whipping slave orks and driving them forward. Ork often do not mind even. Because the fittest surviving ones will most likely be taken to Architect's workshop. They are better fed and even looked after! Every slave's dream.

Any comments, please? :smile2:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
I see no clay! :icon_wink:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »
whoa  :icon_eek:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 05:46:26 AM »
This really is a very inspiring army you're putting together.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »
Those are some fantastic figures! Really well done and a very nice theme!
Can we get an army shot?

Did you build the Desert Golem your self? Or where can I buy one of those figures?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
These minis and their lore... They're simply outsanding. Makes me want to run a RPG game, set in the desert. That and the Mordheim-Pirates thread on our forums. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!  :smile2:

This army was made with love and heart, indeed!
And there is another update:

Lesser Golems

Desert Dwarfs' rivals say that they trap souls of convicts and criminals within the mechanical bodies of these fearsome golems. In reality Desert Dwarfs simply enchant various cogs and springs inside to answer the commands of sorcerers. Thus when the wizard moves his hand for example, the golem will do just the same. The best thing about this method is that the "pilot" can stay far behind the lines and fear not that the golem might actually develop a character of his own and start disobeying his master.

Desert Dwarfs Artillery

Desert Dwarfs utilize different pieces of artillery. One of the most popular ones are Flame Cannon and Rocket Launcher. Engineer-sorcerers use Golden Sands Desert efreeti essence while constructing these machines. It serves a dual purpose: on one hand efreeti generate fire that can be used to ignite flammable fuel for the thrower or to set rockets flying at the enemy, on the other hand restless spirits try to break free, but can't break the enchantment. So the only place where a leak of this energy is allowed is in the "legs" section. Thus the machine  slowly "crawls" forward on its own. Most useful!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 05:20:25 AM »
Are these all Russian Alternative minis?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
Man those artillery pieces look scary! Would not want to be in their crosshairs! :ph34r:

Gneisenau