home

Author Topic: 5th Edition: Wood Elves, help!  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
5th Edition: Wood Elves, help!
« on: October 20, 2023, 12:36:20 AM »
I've recently gotten into playing 5th edition. My experience has primarily been with 6th/7th and the 5th ed army doesn't have a number of the tools I'm used to, and massed infantry just doesn't seem to do the job.

We're only playing games of around 1000 points as we build and paint the figures needed to get to 2k+

My wood elf opponents list is something like:

General with Bow of Loren on Giant Eagle

Mage with regular bow on Giant Eagle

12 Archers full command

5 Waywatchers

I can't nail the characters down enough to deal with them and the waywatchers are all over my artillery or march blocking my state troops.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: 5th Edition: Wood Elves, help!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 09:54:45 PM »
You cannot maneuver your blocks against that. So leave your blocks of infantry home.

Take two cannons, a helblaster, and one mage. Fill the rest with ridiculous amount of shooting. Crossbowmen, Archers, and Halflings! (Halflings are really good shooters in 4/5th ed.) Corner. Target his characters and those Waywatchers.

Also/alternatively you can take several steam tanks. At 200pts per unit you could probably have four in addition to your one character. But you can be kind and only take two in a 1000pts list, against her/his two flying characters.

I mean s/he has gone to one extreme with her/his list, you can go to your extreme.

Herohammer is so silly. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 04:33:46 PM »
This is very late but I believe the Wood Elf list is not legal nor are @Zygmund's suggestions a legal army list.  When mounting characters - monsters go against the character allowance and not the monster limit.  IIRC correctly Wood Elf Scouts and archers already outrange the Volley Gun so I would go with something like:

• General on Horse
  • Mounted Wizard
  • 5 Knights
  • 5 Ogres
  • 10 Halflings with Bows
  • 10 Halflings with Bows
  • 10 Crossbowmen
  • Mortar
  • Great Cannon

Use Knights and Ogres to run down his infantry and use your characters and ranged units to shoot his monsters.

One additional note - 5th edition plays best when people take more "normal armies" - using the tournament suggestions in the Battle Book can alleviate the tendency of players to take a few characters kitted out with an insane amount of magic items.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 11:56:34 AM »
Thanks for this.

I was wrong about his birds, they were both warhawks.

I ended up taking:

General on foot
15 Dwarves with spears light armour and shields, standard and musician

Captain on foot heart of woe
19 Halberdiers, banner and musician

6 Ogres with additional hand weapons

Helblaster

Cannon

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 06:52:53 AM »
Broski how did it go?!?

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 05:20:47 AM »
I got shot to hell, but he underestimated the helblaster which I used to turn his waywatchers to paste then misfired.
I managed to bait the general into charging my halberdiers, where he murdered my captain and was killed by the Heart of Woe.

I lost the game, but it was closer than it should have been.

Grenzstadt stands.