home

Author Topic: 8th edition on route.  (Read 140047 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: 8th edition on route.
« Reply #725 on: September 28, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
Pure DE you can easily field two battalions and a vanguard giving you 14 cps. That’s plenty, especially as the de get better as the games goes on anyway
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #726 on: September 28, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
Pure DE you can easily field two battalions and a vanguard giving you 14 cps. That’s plenty, especially as the de get better as the games goes on anyway
Not specifically talking about DE, felt the same with my AdMech, where I wanted to run a guard CP detachment.

DE look spicy!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #727 on: September 28, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »
I suspect a change coming on Soup armies use in the upcoming FAQ and/or Chapter Approved on this..

Especially the Guard relic that generates CP is totally broken. Other armies have similar items but none so potent.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #728 on: September 28, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »
The biggest thing they can do to "fix" the current state of the game is restrict CP to the detachment which generated them.

I also think they should make the max of two detachment rule normal not beta.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #729 on: September 28, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
Has anyone had a good look at the new Big Faq out just today?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #730 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #731 on: September 28, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
Has anyone had a good look at the new Big Faq out just today?

oh ffs. due to play my first game today for months, and a new faq hits.  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #732 on: September 28, 2018, 05:03:57 PM »
So some people I see on the net seem to really dislike this latest FAQ, but I'm looking through it and frankly I notice hardly any changes. The main ones are changing CP a little bit, making it so tactical reserves only come in on turn 2+, and the new Prepared Defences Strat.

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #733 on: September 30, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
Well flyers no longer being able to move over chaff units in the charge phase is another big thing. So yes, during the charge phase your Helldrake can't charge my Burna Bomba since there's 10 Gretchin blocking the way. But since getting back to the game I've become accustomed to rules that make absolutely no sense.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #734 on: October 01, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »
I liked the rule change till you put it like that with the hell drake. That doesn’t make sense. It did for me with jump pack troops.
No one takes hell drakes anyway so doesn’t matter I suppose.

So why you complaining!

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #735 on: October 01, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »
Well so far there are only 3 people I can expect to regularly play with and one of them uses Helldrakes from time to time, hence prompting the example.  :biggriin: In fairness the rule seems fair for jump pack units but since FLY is a catch all for supersonic jets too it can get weird. Now, not being able to charge troops standing on a tree stump really grinds my gears in comparison.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #736 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »
I don't like 8th edition!  ::heretic:: ::heretic::

I don't like the constant micro decisions around stratagems, especially when they are things that just used to be units special rules. I don't like the army building restrictions and emphasis on taking many HQ choices (especially when my 2 armies have very limited HQ options), it just doesn't fit with how I want to build my Deldar army. and I don't like clearly OP and better than anything else in the book options *looking at you triple disintegrator ravagers with a black heart archon with writ of living muse behind*.

7th edition felt a much smoother and more coherent gaming process, which they ruined with OP army books and OP detachments. The most fun games of 40k I've ever had have been 7th ed games against lists where my opponent has purposefully not just chosen all the OP detachments.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:25:08 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #737 on: October 02, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »
I don't like 8th edition!  ::heretic:: ::heretic::

**see yourself in a setting like the AA**

That's good Finlay, expressing your feelings is the first step to enlightenment. That is why we all here are gathered in this meeting.

Now that you have expressed your feeling, would you like to elaborate on it and define what it is that makes you feel uncomfortable with the 8th edition?

Anyone else that would like to share their feelings with Finlay here?

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #738 on: October 02, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »
I edited above after you posted I think.

Basically: 7th ed was a better, smoother, more coherent rules set, ruined by OP army books and detachments. I dont like the army building restrictions to turn on your "chapter tactics", Stratagems, CPs, and the focus on HQs.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #739 on: October 02, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
I find I like the simpler rules of 8th. Games seem to be so much quicker. That said, I do have some similar feelings to Finlay. I really like the idea of stratagems, but I'm not fond of the way most of them use to be really fluffy special rules. I also think that despite being a good idea, they havn't quite balanced some of them properly.

I actually am a fan of the army building. I find it way better then the formations nonsense of 7th, and you can build actual fluffy detachments from multiple armies and have them work together. Again like the stratagems though I don't think it's been balanced perfectly yet. I love my Imperial Soup list, and I go out of my way not to make it that min/maxy, but boy are there some problems with it. I particularly dislike the way Imperial Guard have turned into a CP farm and how many people cram a detachment of them in for no rhyme or reason other then to get CP. My main army is IG and I've had people at the club tell me I'm just wasting my time by not making a 'proper' army.

The HQ choices I go back and forth on. All my armies have lots of them so I don't really notice the problem to much.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #740 on: October 02, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
I find I like the simpler rules of 8th. Games seem to be so much quicker.

:unsure: :blush:

Pass the machete.

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2018, 01:12:06 AM »
Disclaimer: I have never played a single game of 40k before the 8th edition.
 But to me it seems 8th is oversimplified, it often feels that once you have decided on your lists and deployment you are both just going trough the motions until the game finishes. True Line of Sight is horrible, 360 degree firing arcs are horrible, etc. I'm still having a blast playing don't get me wrong, but it all just seems so stripped down to me. Maybe 40k was always like this compared to Fantasy but I find that hard to imagine. I wish cover mattered more, getting first turn meant less and facing actually meant something  :unsure:

• Members
« Reply #742 on: October 03, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »
The CP farm is a problem and GW did try and fix it with this new BIG FAQ2, but they aren't there yet.. Farming is now somewhat dammed in but getting the easy high CP battalions/brigades especially how Guard can do it to supplement other Imperial armies is still not addressed.

I like how Tapletop Tactics explained it in their vox cast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PsXwS6aTY

As for the play-ability, I really like it.. 8th was for me the way to get in and not drown on all the crap 7th brought with it. And yes the Stratagems are a nice addition to work with to make armies stand out more and give them some hidden/special possibilities, but it would work better if high end Stratagems would not be so easy to use, like 3-4 time in a battle giving you a certain edge int he battle where the opponent can't really recover from (looking at you Castelan Knight)

I wish cover mattered more, getting first turn meant less and facing actually meant something  :unsure:

Getting 2nd turn now gives you a 2cp Stratagem that rewards a Cover save for all models that didn't already have it (excluding Titanic models), so getting first turn does matter less. I think T'au actually benefits from it more. And having last turn for objective grabbing might turn the game in your favour also.

I can't really comment on the amount of HQ able to field / required to field.. I'm only used to 8th and for me with T'au I find it ok, even with the Commander keyword limitation to 1 per detachment.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #743 on: October 03, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
T'au have really been the main beneficiaries from the new FAQ i think.

like you say, the CP farming has been toned down but those 32 guardsmen basically give you 11 CP's. 5 for battalion and a basically guarenteed 6 regained over a game. Plus the benefits to screening now for those 30 bodies it brings.

So why you complaining!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #744 on: October 03, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
I fully agree that the CP farming has taken a nerf, but still needs more work.

I love this to;

Because I also agree with you, but a solid 90% of the Tau players I know have taken the latest FAQ as some kind of personal insult. The fact that shield drones now only automatically take shooting and combat wounds, and only take smite and stuff if their closest, has triggered some kind of end of the world amongst them here.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #745 on: October 03, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »
Small potatoes on the smite. They will be screening their big suits anyway. That will take the smite. Screens are so much better and require less skill, and buy you space.

So why you complaining!

• Members
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
I fully agree that the CP farming has taken a nerf, but still needs more work.

I love this to;

Because I also agree with you, but a solid 90% of the Tau players I know have taken the latest FAQ as some kind of personal insult. The fact that shield drones now only automatically take shooting and combat wounds, and only take smite and stuff if their closest, has triggered some kind of end of the world amongst them here.

Small potatoes on the smite. They will be screening their big suits anyway. That will take the smite. Screens are so much better and require less skill, and buy you space.

Mostly some cry babies are crying over that.. on ATT it's already declared a minor thing as almost no one ever used drones anyway to pick up Smites and the like. With the new FLY rule screens will get more prominent and will deal with the smites even more now.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #747 on: October 17, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
I find I like the simpler rules of 8th. Games seem to be so much quicker.

:unsure: :blush:

Same here!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2018, 09:18:00 PM »
CP regen should only work for stratagems from the same codex. Problem solved.

8th is a mixed bag for me but overall positive. The profile and weapon changes outweigh everything else for me, I’m a huge fan of how vehicles work now.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #749 on: October 25, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »
Agreed.  The unified profiles for all models and changes to how weapons work is great.  Terrain and the loss of templates are not.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.