home

Author Topic: "demo game"  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Eldanesh

• Members
"demo game"
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:32:20 PM »
Hey guys, I'm looking to do a demo game with a couple of friends to learn the rules. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I have a grand assortment of empire models,and some brettonians  (maybe some other random things, like 3 kroxigors).

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
Re: "demo game"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »
Get something for every phase to learn then.
Otherwise just read the rules and get one of those introduction play manuals that came with battle for skull pass.

Go slowly through each phase and get everything right the first time :P ... but most important, read the rules in the rulebook before playing.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
500 points games are very nice to learn the rules.

If you can, can you carve up all your Empire models (and maybe the Bretonnians to count as Empire knights/infantry) into 3 or more Empire 500 points armies?
I'm in college!

Offline glare

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:25:32 PM »
Get something for every phase to learn then.
Otherwise just read the rules and get one of those introduction play manuals that came with battle for skull pass.

Go slowly through each phase and get everything right the first time :P ... but most important, read the rules in the rulebook before playing.
That go slowly can be a game-ruiner though, especially if you have to look a lot up (as is likely to be the case here). A lot of the time it's easier to just write down the problem, roll a d6 and look those things up after the battle.
If you can, try to find someone who has knowledge of the rules and has played, it will make it a lot easier.

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »
perhaps get another person who knows the rules and have them help one person during a battle while you help the other so that each player gets equal attention
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:13:34 AM »
The having an experienced player around is both a good thing and a bad thing.

The game will flow better with rules interpretations etc but a dependency builds up on the experienced player.

What I did with my Son is made him learn sections of the book till he knew the whole phase very well. Then we played a game or two where I would help him with the remaining phases. We did this till he knew all the rules.

I actually made him write tests to qualify for games, something you can't really do with friends but it illustrates my point. Playing the game is the fun part. Learning the entire rule book first wont happen IMO so why don't you try it like I did with my Son.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 09:32:33 AM »
Hey guys, I'm looking to do a demo game with a couple of friends to learn the rules.

I'm not sure your question is being understood.

My initial thought was - you know a bit and are going to try and teach some friends?

Most replies are assuming all 3 of you know nothing.

You have been around a few months - and get special bonus points as you registered on a very special day - so I am guessing the former.

If so - use the Skull Pass starter set booklet, and also concentrate on the early parts of the BRB.
 Get them used to the basics, but as one or two have suggested keep things moving along and exciting.

:icon_question:
How are you at GW Redshirt mania - can you talk loudly with insane enthusiasm adding sound effects?

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Sigmork

• Members
  • R.I.P. Rufas
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 10:19:45 AM »
and get special bonus points as you registered on a very special day

If you're talking about my birthday you've got it 9 days late, don't worry just send the present earlier next year!

:biggriin: :biggriin: :biggriin:
Quote from: PhillyT
Sigmork, your chi is weak!

Offline Eldanesh

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:05 AM »
No I'm experienced with wargaming and fantasy. My friends are not so much so.

Offline Sigmork

• Members
  • R.I.P. Rufas
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
I would just use simple rules, don't worry about things like fast cavalry, miners, etc.

Make it simple, then if they like it, gradually bring in more rules.

Also don't massacre them, it would probably make them dislike the game.
Quote from: PhillyT
Sigmork, your chi is weak!

Offline angryman

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 11:03:11 PM »
I find when teaching people to play, I always leave magic out of the first game. I find magic just complicates things.

Also explain common rules as they go but if something rarely occurs (can't think of anything, they don't occur enough for me to remember :icon_rolleyes:) don't go over the details this time, just say its to make the 'game' play better and isn't an important rule atm.

Don't crush them with a hard list and carefully laid out tactics, leave that for game 2  :smile2:

Offline Luisjoey

• Members
  • Son of Sigmar... FOR THE EMPEROR!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »
Play 500 pts with no magic and no magic objects.

is the best way to learn the basic of the game.

Magic is easy nowdays but still complicated to get the game basics.