home

Author Topic: History in the making: Averland 8th Militia  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Willem I

• Members
  • Sovereign Prince of the Netherlands
History in the making: Averland 8th Militia
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
12th Averland Militia Raised
The 12th (later 8th) Averland Militia - since recently also known as the Holdland 8th Militia - was one of the 45 battalions of militia infantry raised in 2522. The unit was formed from compulsorily enlisted men and volunteers of the Military district Averland, the Empire, following the battle against Chaos in which many battalions where merged or dismissed altogether.

Between March and May 2522 some 846 men and 39 officers joined the battalion. Many of these didn't stay with the unit all the way to Holdland. Many of these "first joiners" were pensioned off (mostly officers), others went to other states or simply left the battalion for various other reasons. The history of the Averland 8th Militia is recorded in this document.

As the unit was raised in Averland, they were stationed at the "Zoutmann Kazerne (barracks)". Lieutenant-Colonel Willem Frederik, Graaf (Count) van Bijlandt was appointed the first commander. It was under his leadership that the unit was fully fitted out.

Portrait of Luitenant-Kolonel Van Bijlandt.

Original signature of Van Bijlandt, taken from one of his manuscript letters.

The 2523 Campaign.

At 13 April 2523 (after Winter ended and the campaign season started) the battalion left for a tour around the easthern part of Averland.
  • They went first following the Old Dwarf Road to Gokrum (89 km march).
  • In Gokrum they camped on 15 April 2523.
  • Then to the Three Towers (50 km). They camped at the Three Towers on 16th April.
  • To the Moot (50km). They overnighted in Ruveen at 17th April.
  • Bluereach (65 km). They followed Bluereach towards the joining point with Aver Reach where the River Aver is formed between 18th and the end of that April.
  • On May 1st they encountered a Chaos Warband in a small Hold in the Moot. Skirmishes where fought over the course of four days before the armies confronted eachother. Even though the battle was lost, enough time was bought for the villages surrounding the Wold - locally known as Wolsland - to be evacuated.
  • Between May 6th and June 12th the batallion mached back to Averheim (225 km) along the River Aver. Along the way they were billeted in several villages along the River Aver.
  • They stayed for a while in Averheim, but left for the winter season to Black Fire Pass on the 24th of September 2523 (to be continued in another story).

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

~ from Kakito Marushijins play, No Mans Bride

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: History in the making: Averland 8th Militia
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
Interesting start sir and I have to say I was amused by your choice of name and commander. Don't know how many times I sent the 8th running playing Battleground Waterloo and Les Quatre Bras back in the day. They certainly never did well against the Lancers of the Garde that's for certain ;).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
The Battle for Holdland
This report details the Battle for Holdland, the Moot, near the place where River Aver is formed by the merging of Aver Reach and Blue Reach.

Read the battlereport here, in The Battleground.

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline SlimShady

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
  Nice read.

Offline Willem I

• Members

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
Battalion (Re)Organization Winter 2523
The 2523 Campaign season saw the Averland 8th Militia fighting in three seperate fronts. Early-season saw a skirmish in The Moot where the 8th stalled a Small Chaos Army before being forced to retreat. At the end of the season when the Battalion was making ready for the winter, there where two battles in quick succession. The first was a Meeting Engagement against a mid-sized Orcs and Goblins force. When they where fought off, it appeared the reason for the Orcs and Goblins to enter Averland at the set of winter was a combined Chaos/Undead host that tried to capitalise on the colder conditions where their mortal foes would be at a disadvantage. The third battle was an attack on the Chaos/Undead army, and quite unexpected the Orcs and Goblins joined in the fight, and helped the 8th drive back the forces of disorder from their doorstep. With the threat gone, the surviving Orcs and Goblins dispersed into the mountains.

Now winter is really setting in, and the Averland 8th Militia has withdrawn to Averheim to re-organise. During the season the Battalion suffered 138 casualties, 48 of which proofed fatal. The gun-batteries are worn out, and all equipment in general needs repair. With the addition of new recruits, and the gun-batteries in repair, the administrators have filed the following list as the men and material available to the 8th for the next year.

Men/equipment available for the campaign season 2524:
- 2 Wizards
- 2 Officers (one with the Battlestandard)
- 60 State Troops
- 20 Handgunners
- 16 Knights
- 20 Greatswords
- 5 Pistoliers
- 2 Great Cannons
- 1 Mortar
- 1 Helstorm Rocketbattery

So finally my order has been dispatched from Maelstrom. I have ordered  1 Empire Artillery box, 2 Empire Battalion boxes, 1 Empire General box, 1 Empire Helblaster / Helstorm box, 1 Empire Pistoliers box, 2 Empire State Troops boxes, 1 Empire Wizards box. That, combined with a Great Cannon I have lying around, will add up to the men and material available to the Averland 8th Militia coming campaign season. The list gives a hint on how I will assemble some of the kits. The state-troopers are going 40 Halberdiers, 20 Swordsmen (or maybe 35/25), the knights 50/50 hammers/lances.
Servants of dark forces beware!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:37:47 PM by Willem I »

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »
Read more about our troops, and see the outfitting (=assembling & painting) progress: Plog Averland 8th Militia

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.