home

Author Topic: Empire army list  (Read 5979 times)

Combat311

Empire army list
« on: June 21, 2003, 03:38:57 AM »
My goal with this army was not to win games but to throw out as many guys as I can..  I play at many RT and I like a fair and fun list so... What do you guys think?  

1 Elector Count @ 140 Pts
     General; Full Plate Armor; Shield
     Holy Relic [45]

1 Battle Wizard @ 140 Pts
     Magic Level 2
     Rod of Power [45]

1 Battle Wizard @ 95 Pts
     Magic Level 2

1 * Captain @ 64 Pts
     Halberd; Full Plate Armor; Shield

8 Huntsmen @ 80 Pts
     Longbow

25 Spearmen @ 240 Pts
     Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

10 Detachment - Free Company @ [50] Pts
          2ndWeapon

25 Swordsmen Count's troops @ 287 Pts
     Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
     War Banner [25]

12 Detachment - Halberdiers @ [72] Pts
          Halberd; Light Armour

24 Swordsmen @ 238 Pts

11 Detachment - Free Company @ [55] Pts
          2ndWeapon

20 Swordsmen @ 275 Pts

7 Detachment - Handgunners @ [56] Pts
          Empire Handgun

8 Detachment - Archer @ [64] Pts
          Normal Bow

10 Handgunners @ 80 Pts
     Empire Handgun

10 Handgunners @ 85 Pts
     Empire Handgun; Musician

1 Mortar @ 75 Pts

3 Crew @
  • Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

3 Crew @
  • Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

3 Crew @
  • Pts

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 186

Total Army Cost: 1999

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Empire army list
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 12:18:20 PM »
I like this list- it's nice to see so many state troops..feels more like a 'real' Empire army.

A few things though:

Characters - good choices and not too many points. However, I would suggest that a battle standard would be a better choice than the plain captain, simply because you have so much infantry. Being able to re-roll break tests could prevent your whole line colapsing if things start to go wrong.

Troops - no champions? I find them to be quite useful. Also, three of your units only have one detachment....perhaps this is because of space issues It might be worth using your handgunner units as detachments, since you aren't taking any special weapons for them anyway, and this way they wouldn't cause panic if anything bad happened to them (Sigmar forbid!).
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Empire army list
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 12:43:46 PM »
I love your list!

Just a couple of things you may want to think about.  Your Elector Count seems to be there for the leadership.  Instead of spending points on a ward save, you may want to consider the Icon of Magnus, immune to fear is huge!  Getting autobroke by a undead is horrible!  

I agree with Rufus, in an infantry army a BSB is almost a necessity.  If you want to give him a ST of 5, give him the Sword of Might.  Only thing about a BSB is they are worth mucho victory points to the other player.  A lot of folks put on the Armor of Meteoric Iron and Sword of Might to protect him.  

A Rod of Command for one of your characters wouldn't be a bad idea.  You have nothing that can kill anything with except your missile fire.  You must withstand a charge for your CR and detachment strategy to work.  

Which brings me to another point, I think if shooting them up and withstanding the charge so the CR will win the battle for you, you need to put the Griffon Standard in one of your troop units.  

I know it is counter to your list, but a small unit of flagellants can help anchor your line.  Just 10 of them is very nice.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Boris Todbringer

• Members
Empire army list
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 03:15:51 PM »
I play a similar army to yours, with 2 Lvl mages, one with a rod of power. It is much better than two dispel scrolls, because if you are magically superior, you wont often need to chuck scrolls at enemy spells; you can get them with dice alone. But if you are inferior, just store 2 or 3 power dice to build up a nice big magic defense. But I'm sure you knew all that.

But where are your knights? A unit of eight wouldn't be missed, or maybe a flanking force of 6? If you would take them, I'd get rid of the handgunners, as they rarely make a difference if you're playing that much artillery. And if knights aren't your thing, consider pistoliers. I have a newfound respect for mine as they've helped me come back from a solid loss to a tie a couple of battles in a row.
You've got questions? I've got a cannon.

Combat311

Ok.....
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 03:15:54 PM »
Here is my list!!!  Griffon banner is little to much!!  Don't forget it's for a RT and friendly play and the Griffon banner is little Cheesy.  Icon of Magnus is good against undead but if his Vampire lord is fighting, I am go to lose no matter what!  That's the only thing I fear is that big Vampire lord.   As for the flagellants I am not going to buy anymore GW stuff(boycott).  Thanks for the help!!!  :D

1 * Elector Count @ 151 Pts
     General; Great Weapon; Full Plate Armor; Shield
     Rod of Command [50]

1 Battle Wizard @ 140 Pts
     Magic Level 2
     Rod of Power [45]

1 Battle Wizard @ 95 Pts
     Magic Level 2

1 Captain @ 105 Pts
     Battle Standard
     Armour of Meteoric Iron [30]

7 Huntsmen @ 70 Pts
     Longbow

24 Spearmen @ 238 Pts
     Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

2ndWeapon

24 Swordsmen Count's troops @ 297 Pts
     War Banner [25]

1 Duellist @ [10] Pts

12 Detachment - Halberdiers @ [72] Pts
          Halberd; Light Armour

25 Swordsmen @ 245 Pts

2ndWeapon

20 Swordsmen @ 299 Pts

10 Detachment - Handgunners @ [80] Pts
          Empire Handgun

8 Detachment - Archer @ [64] Pts
          Normal Bow

10 Handgunners @ 85 Pts
     Empire Handgun; Musician

1 Mortar @ 75 Pts

3 Crew @
  • Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

3 Crew @
  • Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

3 Crew @
  • Pts

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 179

Total Army Cost: 2000

Combat311

Rod of Power
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 03:21:39 PM »
Little off topic!!  Rod of Power is one of the best magic item in the game. Dispel scrolls sucks!!  If your playing against dwarfs or very low magic army you just give your opponent 25 to 50 pts.

Offline Vincent of Vega

• Members
Empire army list
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 03:41:18 PM »
Speaking from the hip here but wouldn't this sort of army struggle against a remotely magic heavy Vampire army or Chaos?

I simply can't survive against VC's without a flanking force of some sort and 4 dispels even with the Rod of Power is going to struggle against 9 or more casting dice from the VC's and that's without the Book of Arkhan and my pet hate, the Rod of Flaming Death Sure, there is quite  a bit of firepower there but what have you got to take out the spell casters?

Any General worth his salt is not going to present you with any juicy targets, so it will be full magic power when you're in close combat.

I do like the list though, the thought of 180 or more models on my side of the table is most appealing :-)
..Alex

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Empire army list
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 06:04:14 PM »
Thing is though he can laugh at direct damage spells with that many troops.  It is movement and summoning that will make him vulnerable to VCs.  

The only thing I don't like about all infantry armies is they are more vulnerable to magic as well as fast stuff.  You are so spread out that if they concentrate on one half of the table you better be good or lucky.  

Magic wise, any army that holds back will be vulnerable to magic.  You've got to make their magic users run and hide.  Magic defense is paramount if you are playing stationary lines.  

With lots of handgunners and artillery, you simply can't go on the offensive until turn 3 or later, so speed armies will be on you by turn 3, if not earlier.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"