home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 637091 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »
Julian smirks to himself, before quickly changing his expression to a look of shock.

This is exactly the sort of thing which always drew Julian to fortune tellers. The unmitigated doom and gloom to shock and surprise patrons amused the opitimistically natured dwarf.

Julian decides to play along with the charade.

"but.. leave? I have only just arrived. Surely nothing bad can occur when the Schaffenfest is in town? I have some urgent business to attend to here... Can you tell me any more about this danger?"
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »
Mortus sets off for the court shortly after Heinrich. She passes the wrestling area as an unconscious nobleman is being dragged from the ring and the champion raises his arms in triumph. The showman is already trying to encourage someone else to take on the champion, but the crowd look wary after seeing him in action.

Continuing, she passes the freakshow. One of the wagons carries a banner that reads 'Doctor Malthusius' Zoocopeia - strange creatures from all corners of the world! The marvellous, the bizarre, the disgusting - brought to you at enormous expense - no other like it in the world!' The Doctor himself is doing his best to draw attention to the show, which opens in just under an hour.

Mortus arrives at the Festival Court to find that a crowd has gathered around the whipping post, and is counting along enthusiastically (though some don't seem to know their numbers well) as each lash falls. The victim is a teenaged boy, and he cries out pitifully as he is struck.

Close by are two sets of stocks, one of which holds a battered-looking dwarf. He catches Mortus's eye as she draws near, and begins pleading, "Miss, please, will you help me? I need one crown to get out of these stocks - please?"
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Sven shakes his head vigorously. Standing up, he puts his hands on Julian's shoulders and looks directly into his eyes - he seems genuinely afraid. "Brother," he says, "please do not mistake me for a fraud. The dark moon is rising over the town, and the direst evils are awakening. I have never seen the signs so clearly written! If you stay here you risk death and damnation! I intend to leave tonight. Listen: the first to die will be a dwarf!"
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
"What is your crime?" Mortus asks the dwarf.   There is something about him that intrigues her though she is not sure why.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
"Nothing miss - I just got a bit too drunk, that's all. But there are a lot of drunk people here and they aren't in the stocks. The watchmen arrested me because I'm a dwarf. They stole my money too, so I couldn't pay the fine. Please, will you help me miss?"
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
Mortus will go inside and ask about the dwarf in the stocks

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
Mortus asks the guards at the court entrance about the dwarf, and they tell her to speak to the clerk inside. She goes into the tent and finds Heinrich speaking to the clerk - surprisingly, they are talking about the dwarf. Heinrich has just asked what the dwarf's crime was, and the clerk - who is clearly contemptuous of this dwarf in particular, and perhaps of all dwarfs - confirms that he was arrested for drunkenness and can be released if his fine of one gold crown is paid.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
Heinrich, being from the multicultural Altdorf, is offended by the man's racism.

"I will pay his fine." Heinrich digs a crown out of his much diminished purse and drops it into the clerk's hand.
"See to his release."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
The clerk's jaw drops. He looks down at the coin in his hand, seemingly unable to speak. When he finds his voice at last, he says, "You - you are willing to pay this derelict's fine? I suppose justice is satisfied then - Pietr! Go and let the dwarf out of the stocks. Tell him his fine is paid and he's free to go." One of the guards nods and heads outside.

"Now, if you are finished wasting your time and money on dwarfs, I suggest you get on with looking for your target. Good day to you." The clerk turns away, taking the gold coin to the court's money chest.

Heinrich now notices that Mortus has come into the court.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »
The effect of Sven's plea was unnerving- Julian had felt a palpable sense of fear form his fellow dwarf. Still trying to maintain his blase attitude, Julian attempts to reassure the fortune teller before hastily exiting the tent, feeling a certain level of unease.

He can't shake the words "The first to die will be a dwarf" from his head, and he feels quite lightheaded as the bright sunlight dazzles his eyes after being in the dark of Sven's tent.

Julian rests on a small knoll for a while until the sounds of revelry and laughter, and the bright sunshine, start to bring back his spirits, where he is resolved to head to the merchants stalls to meet up with the others, as they had discussed.

(If I am too late to find them at the stalls, I will ask after them and follow on to the court?)
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
The clerk's jaw drops. He looks down at the coin in his hand, seemingly unable to speak. When he finds his voice at last, he says, "You - you are willing to pay this derelict's fine? I suppose justice is satisfied then - Pietr! Go and let the dwarf out of the stocks. Tell him his fine is paid and he's free to go." One of the guards nods and heads outside.

"Now, if you are finished wasting your time and money on dwarfs, I suggest you get on with looking for your target. Good day to you." The clerk turns away, taking the gold coin to the court's money chest.

Heinrich now notices that Mortus has come into the court.

"Ah! Mortus! What brings you here?"

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
"The dwarf outside hailed me as I went past," Mortus replies with a strange glint in her eye.   "I thought I would investigate the case, and you, what reason have you for being here?"

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »
"The dwarf outside hailed me as I went past," Mortus replies with a strange glint in her eye.   "I thought I would investigate the case, and you, what reason have you for being here?"

"Looking for a piece of honest work, actually. They offered a 40 crown bounty for this fellow."

Heinrich hands her the paper with the bounty description.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
Mortus takes the paper and reads it.   

"Honest work," she says, laughing.   "You want a hand looking for him?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »
[Finlay]

Julian is unable to reassure Sven - the fortune teller has already started packing his things as Julian leaves the tent.

But outside, amongst the noise and chaos of the fair, it's hard to believe in prophecies of doom. Julian searches among the merchant stalls for his companions. After a while, he finds Klaus, who is at a gunsmith's stall looking longingly at pistols he can't afford. He tells Julian that Heinrich and Mortus have both gone to the Festival Court.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
Mortus takes the paper and reads it.   

"Honest work," she says, laughing.   "You want a hand looking for him?"

"Another pair of eyes would be useful, and this poor bastard shouldn't be too dangerous. Shall we head towards the docks and ask around for him?"

Heinrich pulls the black helm from his bag and dons it as he exits the tent.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:18 PM »
Mortus follows Heinrich wordlessly

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
[Fandir]

Klaus asks at a number of weapon stalls, but none of them sell firearms. Eventually, he is directed to a reinforced stall guarded by a pair of mercenaries, each carrying a blunderbuss. The stall owner - a gunsmith - looks dubiously at Klaus as he approaches. "Good afternoon sir," he says, "are you looking to purchase a pistol, perhaps? I am afraid that they are expensive weapons - though very much worth the cost. The cheapest I have is 100 crowns. Would you like me to show it to you?"

As the gunsmith is showing Klaus a small but very fine pistol - no doubt simply for the opportunity to boast of his skill - Julian arrives, asking if Klaus has seen the other members of the group.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »
[cannon and commandant]

Heinrich and Mortus leave the tent and step back into the afternoon sunshine. Gottri Gurnisson has been released, and comes up to them with a wide smile on his filthy face. "Sir, miss, thank you for your kindness!" he exclaims, "it is truly wonderful to find such charity in this unfriendly town. Can I do anything to repay you?"

The young thief has also been released, his punishment completed. He is staggering away towards the fair, his shirt in his hand, his back criss-crossed with bloody welts. Heinrich has seen enough of the law to know the punishment was relatively lenient - it is not uncommon for thieves to face mutilation or even execution for lesser thefts than the boy had committed.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2012, 12:20:54 AM »
[cannon and commandant]

Heinrich and Mortus leave the tent and step back into the afternoon sunshine. Gottri Gurnisson has been released, and comes up to them with a wide smile on his filthy face. "Sir, miss, thank you for your kindness!" he exclaims, "it is truly wonderful to find such charity in this unfriendly town. Can I do anything to repay you?"

The young thief has also been released, his punishment completed. He is staggering away towards the fair, his shirt in his hand, his back criss-crossed with bloody welts. Heinrich has seen enough of the law to know the punishment was relatively lenient - it is not uncommon for thieves to face mutilation or even execution for lesser thefts than the boy had committed.

"Your thanks is not necessary friend. I think justice was served on your misdeed, and seeing you released now was only fair. Do not be too harshminded toward these simple folk. They have not known as many of your noble kind as I have. I'm actually a bit surprised they had any spirits in this town strong enough to inebriate a dwarf!" Heinrich chuckles at his own joke.

"Perhaps you can help us. I've been charged to bring a fugitive to justice, perhaps you know something of him?" Heinrick recites the man's description from memory.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:23 AM »
"Ah what a fine weapon you surely understand your trade good man, you know my half brother was taken for the pistoliers corps on his 16th birthday, what a dashing picture it was seeing him riding and shooting those pistols....well it was also his end, some border dispute with them Stirlanders." Klaus only has seen someone pull a pistol out during a tavern brawl that turned bloody, after the companion of the person was knifed he pulled out two pistols and shot the others, a crack and some smoke and they were down, such power in such a small weapon had Klaus fascinated from that moment.

"Oh Julian...well I think they wanted to go to the festival court, though I am not sure they are still there. Shall I join you searching them?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2012, 08:22:33 AM »
[cannon and commandant]

Gottri listens carefully to the description. After a moment he shakes his head, looking sad that he cannot help his benefactors. "No, sir, I know nothing about this man. I wish I could do something to discharge my obligation... wait, I have an idea! I was at the docks yesterday when the boats from Carroburg arrived. They landed at Haagen's Warf, on the Ostendamm. There's a tavern near there called the Squid and Rabbit. That would be a good place to start your search. Thank you again, both of you!" Gottri bows, and then sets off towards the fair. He looks unsteady on his feet, but whether that is due to his ordeal or because he is still drunk is hard to tell.

[Fandir and Finlay]

Since Heinrich and Mortus left only a short time ago, you think you will be able to catch up with them if you leave now.

[prouddiagram]

[If you are still playing, this would be a good time to say something!]
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
Mortus and I head off toward the riverfront to locate the tavern Gottri mentioned.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »
"I think if we hurry we might be able to find them. Lets fasten our pace" Klaus proclaims with a smile and without waiting for Julian starts to hurry after them.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
[Fandir and Finlay]

Julian and Klaus decide to go to the Festival Court in the hope of catching up with the others. The afternoon is becoming hotter all the time, the sun beating down on their heads and their clothes sticking to them with sweat. They pass the wrestling show just as a new competitor enters the ring to face the champion - this time it's a drunken caravan guard. He looks big enough to have a chance against the champion, but he's probably too unsteady on his feet.

As they pass the freak show, they see that one of the cages has been uncovered, and hunched, mean-looking dwarf who is presumably the Doctor's assistant is pushing some food through the bars. Inside the cage is a small goblin with three legs.

The creatures is an astonishing and unsettling sight. The dwarf spits on it and jabs it cruelly with a sharpened stick, causing it to thrash around and shake the cage. The Doctor sees this and yells at his assistant to leave the creature alone. The dwarf sulkily does as he is told, and re-covers the cage.

A boy staggers past Julian and Klaus, his back bloody with whip marks. They arrive at the court in time to see Heinrich and Mortus talking to a dirty-looking dwarf. The dwarf bows, and heads off towards the fair - he will pass Julian and Klaus in a moment. Heinrich and Mortus seem to be about to leave.
If I wanted to.