home

Author Topic: miniature scale question  (Read 2755 times)

Offline drsid

• Members
miniature scale question
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:23:33 AM »
With the arrival of AoS, Warhammer has actually been rekindled at my LGS.  I pulled out my empire miniatures, but compared to the Sigmarites and the Khornites in the starter box, they look tiny!

Are the Sig. and Khorn supposed to be larger than regular humans in the setting? Or is GW changing the miniature scale and new Empire figures will be larger and bulkier?

Just curious as consider whether to pick up some new empire figures or whether I should wait.

Thanks in advance!

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
Re: miniature scale question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:55:37 AM »
It's great to hear you are getting back into the hobby! The Stormcast Eternals are the same scale as the previous GW models. The Stormcast are not human and are much larger than humans so the size difference is no mistake. The Stormcast are more like angels than mortal beings.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »
and warriors of chaos stuff was already larger then the ordinary men from the Empire / Bretonnia, current khorne models scale the same with the warriors of chaos stuff
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »
I'm wondering if GW will continue to support the current size of human figures.  It is easy to move into a larger size when introducing a new army like the Stormcast dudes, and it is easy to bring warriors of Chaos into a larger size as well because it creates a sense of huge powerful force of evil, but whether or not they stopp there is questionable, and we won't really know until a new human figure or group of figures is produced.  Because it is fantasy, I'm ok if they produce different sized figures.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »
I think they will continue with a 28mm heroic scale - so Stormcasts are GIGANTIC (like, eight feet tall or something). The older models are still available - now, they are probably going to replace a lot of those, but they are repackaging many of them (they just repackaged the Sylvaneth / Wood Elf Tree Spirits). They did not make them bigger - so unless they are going to be smaller "in real life" I think the scale is the same.

How do the new terrain pieces look alongside old / new figures?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »
The new marauders are a little larger than the old, but not awfully and personally, I put that down to them being hard ass Khorne guys who spend a lot of time in the gym when they aren't eating people. They do seem much better with regard to realistic hand size, etc.

Scale seems to be very random, depending on sculpts, with GW in any era. I have the old plastic goblins/night goblins that are literally massive. They're heads, hands, and weapons are too large for space marine bodies. Even the current Empire general on horse is a giant!
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."