home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667779 times)

Offline arjunstc

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1250 on: April 28, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Zvezda make some very good gear but they can be a little bit small.

Their Ring of Rule line is actually 28mm rather than 1/72, so it may be closer to GW scale. They do look like more effort to put together though.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #1251 on: April 28, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »
Well thats good news about the scale increase, you should be good to go in that case.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #1252 on: April 28, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
My future wife in.  eh.. I mean engineer :blush:

Whoa. Hot. I have been pondering over that Guild of Harmony stuff for quite some time though, they have some very detailed sculpts.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1253 on: April 29, 2012, 01:47:43 AM »

Wow, that was an old thread. In all that time, I have painted ONE of the Zvezda Royal Infantry figures & used it for an article in the Treachery & Greed newsletters.

It's a decent figure, but not as nice as GW or Perry. However, they were dirt cheap -- or at least they were before the disappeared off the market.

I'm still disappointed I've never been able to find the elf sorceress in the swan boat, and regret not picking up the box of pegasi.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1254 on: April 30, 2012, 10:03:46 AM »
I still think they look like little bearded spheres with with chimp arms, and feet but no legs.  :-P

I will give you all that they have character. More so than some of the more recent figures. But I just wish they weren't so... spherical.

I kind of agree with you. They are characterful models, but I thought they just didn't fit with the Marauder ones, the proportions being too different. I got rid of mine when I decided to commission my own range of landsknecht dwarfs. Of course, your tolerance level for variations in size and style may vary and there are a couple really cool models in the range.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #1255 on: April 30, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »
Dear God, new Foundry adventurers - they are so bad they suck and blow.

http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/single_packs/adventurers/

I can appreciate the thinking behind them...
Remember when your collection of Fantasy Models consisted of loads of Wizards, Thieves, Fighters, Paladins and Clerics, not to mention Female adventurers in fur Bikinis?
Well harping back to the good old days, well here is your chance to get hold of a load of CLASSIC style adventurer models.

Except the old figures were still better than these hideous abominations on the whole, and they had more character.
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1256 on: April 30, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »
OMG.  :ph34r:

Dropping from the best figures money could buy to some of the worst figures I've seen in 20 years. I just don't understand why they are doing this to themselves.

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1257 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Ït´s a shame, really. On a side note; I´m considering buying a load of their renaissance Ogres but I keep hearing bad things about their deliveries.
Can I trust Foundry? Or can anyone tell me if some other company are selling the Foundry fantasy ranges?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1258 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Caliver book is in the UK.

http://www.caliverbooks.com/

I've ordered from them (and I'm in the US) and been happy with the delivery.

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1259 on: April 30, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Thanks! Not many pictures, but that`ll do.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #1260 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
Caliver book is in the UK.

http://www.caliverbooks.com/

I've ordered from them (and I'm in the US) and been happy with the delivery.

They still have their oroginal shop in Southend, Essex, and they have a new store in Nottingham as well.
Dave is a nice guy and he generally shows up at quite a few conventions in the UK as well.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #1261 on: April 30, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
They are pretty terrible

By that I mean really, really terrible.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #1262 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »
Foundry are making me lose the will to live. Luckily I can find solice in the bible:
Gospel of John, chapter 11, verse 35.

Honestly, the blobbyman I made from blue-tac and a paperclip during my coffee break today has more right being casted than this crud.
Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1263 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
Thanks! Not many pictures, but that`ll do.

Just look around the Foundry web page, write don what you want then order from Caliver. If its not listed on the Caliver website, I'd ask -- they may be able to fill you order anyway.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1264 on: April 30, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
Gospel of John, chapter 11, verse 35.

I see what you did there :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #1265 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »
OMG.  :ph34r:

Dropping from the best figures money could buy to some of the worst figures I've seen in 20 years. I just don't understand why they are doing this to themselves.

I would say.... they are...  uninspiring. :engel:
Who sculpted those?
Has Brian Ansell taken up sculpting?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1266 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »
Some of them are pretty bad - the female adventurers would top my list, but some of the others are kinda neat.  I like the armoured knights.  Not enough to pay their price though.  I would say they are at least better then their new 'condottiere' range of minis.

I also agree that the renaissance orcs/ogres of theirs are fantastic.  I got a few from foundry directly without much of a problem.  I had them replace one orc I got that had a bad miscast.  It took them a while and a couple overseas calls to the UK for me to get them to send a new one, but they did.  Also, I had ordered a blister of ancients figures, and only 7 came in the pack when the webstore said 8.  They sent me a whole replacement pack for just the one miniature!  (Though the replacement pack had 7 minis instead of 8 as well  :icon_lol:)  Otherwise my orders came smoothly from the UK to Canada.  I just wait for them to have a 20-30% off sale and then buy enough for free shipping.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1267 on: April 30, 2012, 11:51:19 PM »
Also... just looking at Caliver's site, their foundry orcs are more expensive in GBP than the foundry website.  The ogre desperadoes (orcb001) are 25gbp from Caliver and 16.5gbp from foundry.  The foundry USD price is about $34, which is cheaper than the conversion of 25 gbp (roughly $40).  So, if you are interested in the renaissance ogres and orcs, I suggest waiting for a foundry sale, then either buy enough to get free shipping or buy a book or something with the ones you like.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1268 on: May 01, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
Who sculpted those?

Didn't he actually do some sculpting back in the early days?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1269 on: May 01, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »
They are rather expensive, and I while I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with them, there is something wrong with them.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Akbar

• Members
« Reply #1270 on: May 01, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »
Also... just looking at Caliver's site, their foundry orcs are more expensive in GBP than the foundry website.  The ogre desperadoes (orcb001) are 25gbp from Caliver and 16.5gbp from foundry.  The foundry USD price is about $34, which is cheaper than the conversion of 25 gbp (roughly $40).  So, if you are interested in the renaissance ogres and orcs, I suggest waiting for a foundry sale, then either buy enough to get free shipping or buy a book or something with the ones you like.

Do they have sales on a regular basis?

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #1271 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
Who sculpted those?

Didn't he actually do some sculpting back in the early days?

He sculpted the Asgard range and early Citadel. I found an old citadel figure the other day (year) with his name on th underside of the base to show he sculpted it.
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1272 on: May 02, 2012, 02:45:50 AM »

Do they have sales on a regular basis?

Foundry seems to have a sale a few times a year.  Last Christmas their entire range went on sale for 20% off, then 25% off, then 30% off for a few days around Christmas and boxing day.  They also had a 20% off sale earlier this year.  You have to order about $100 worth of stuff to get free shipping though.

I did recheck the caliver site, and for some reason the mercenary orcs (not ogres) are priced the same as the foundry site for GBP - 10GBP for a pack of 3.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #1273 on: May 02, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
Foundry are constantly on sale. Brian Ansell is in a hole of his own making.
I get spam from them every week notifying a new special or another sale or another discount.
Not interested.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #1274 on: May 02, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
Especially when there sale prices just make them over priced
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg