home

Author Topic: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-7 Westfalia Halflings)  (Read 69963 times)

Offline Timbor

• Members
Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-7 Westfalia Halflings)
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »
So I figured it was time that I share my armies with the greater community.  I will post pics of my stuff in the next few days, but I will start by introducing my armies.

My empire army is a rather mixed lot - the predominant army is painted in the colours of altdorf, but I have regiments painted in the colours of averland, middenland, as well as others.  I buy most of my models second hand, so many of them came with paintjobs and I have either been too lazy to strip and repaint them, or have been satisfied with the paintjob and have left it as is for the time being.  Most of my stuff is from the 5th/6th edition, but I have a smattering of 7th ed state troops and flagellants.

My next army, on which I am currently working, is my orcs and goblins.  I have painted pretty much all myself, and they are painted using greens, earthtones, and purples.  I like the look of purple on green.  I have almost painted 1500 points for my orcs, and hope to have that many finished in time for the summer campaign.

I also have decent sized ogre and DoW armies, but they are currently sitting in storage while I wait to get the rest of my Empire and Orc armies painted!  For some reason I have a habit of buying more than I can paint...

I've also been working on some scenery using Hirst Arts molds - my molds are from the Fieldstone range.

Pictures and more info to follow!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:06:46 PM by Timbor »
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
Ok, so no pics of the main armies at this time, but to tide you over, here is a conversion I made for the recent militia conversion contest.  I made the beginnings of a Kislev warband for use with Mordheim.

I converted 6 figures:  A druzhina captain (converted from 40k commissar gaunt), an ungol horse scout, a streltsi, a warrior, a youth, and a paymaster-type guy (I think he will work well for a DoW paymaster):

Full group:

Warrior and Youth:

Warrior and Youth back:

Druzhina:

Paymaster and Streltsi:

Streltsi:

Scout:

Hope you like em!  I also have a bear and tamer that I made using and old glory Rus and a Foundry bear.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:04 AM »
Next up, my contest-winning captured hill goblin cannon for the T&G conversion contest that recently ended:

Unpainted:

Painted:

I can go into detail about how I made them later.  Right now I am headed outside  :happy:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:10:43 AM by Timbor »

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
That paymaster is inspired! :icon_biggrin:

Offline agger

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
The kislev lot is brilliantly done! I'm not overly hooked on all of the hill dwarf coversions, but the overall effect is spot on, so I guess I like them too  :happy:

Offline Hooch

• Members
  • Formerly Hoochlander
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
Really liking the Kislev, makes me want to incorporate some into my Ostermarkers....

Good job  :::cheers:::

Hooch

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »
Digging the stuff, Timbor!  After your cannon entry, I've been looking for more of your creative work.  Thanks for obliging!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:56:33 PM by anvalous »

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:23:29 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  I had a lot of fun converting the kislev guys - I just have to paint them now!  I'm not sure which one is my favourite though.  Old moneybags turned out really well - he was easy to make, and I think he fits the part of someone who is really good with finances, but isn't much of a fighter (much like the DoW paymaster).  I think the youth turned out to be my favourite - I just like his backpack and the halberd-spear.  The warrior and streltsi took forever to sculpt, but I think they turned out ok for the amount of experience I had.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »
Time to post some pics of my empire minis!  I have a bunch that I bought used that were not painted by me, so I won't bother posting them right now.

First off, some middenland halberdiers.  These were some of the first minis I ever painted when I first started about 12-13 years ago:

Next up, some averland handguns.  Some were started around the same time, others were finished when I restarted a couple years ago:

These were both painted as units of 16 (the size of the old 5th ed troops boxes).  The other models are painted but are broken and in need of some love.

Here are my knights panther.  The grandmaster and standard were painted way back in the beginning.  The plastic knights were painted about 2 years ago:

Next up are my pistoliers.  They were painted about a year and a half ago:

Next we have some state troops.  Painted them sometime after the pistoliers:

Finally, we have my unit of 21 flaggies.  I think these were the most recent finished empire unit, but that's still about a year ago.  I use some of the flaggies in my mordheim witch hunter band.  My favourite is the conversion with the greatsword from the militia kit:

As you can see many of my figs have a gloss finish to them.  I don't mind the look to the eye, but they make for pretty poor picture taking.  I plan to eventually buy a matte varnish to give them a nice flat finish.  They are glossy because I often use future floor polish to make my own washes as well as to act as a hard coat finish - especially for metal models as I don't want the paint to chip.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
Next up:  My orcs.  I have been working on them for the past year or so.  I am hoping to have 1500 points painted by the time the T&G campaign starts, as I plan to play with the greenies  ::heretic::

As mentioned above, this army follows a common colour theme.  All the units are painted in regular earthtones, but have purple as a part of the uniform.  The night goblins come from the hiddin' moon clan, and the orcs are from da Krushin' Fists!

Night goblins with spears and shields (BFSP except for boss)

The boss is my best painted orc model at this time:
Front:

Back:

Night goblin archers (BFSP) - finished this unit in about a week this past May - my hand was sore by the end!

Next, a Squig Herd:

And Squig Hoppers (I love painting these guys!)

What army would be complete without a doom diver?

Next up are my orc boyz.  I have 2 units of 25, made from 6th ed unipose, 7th ed, and AoBR-converted-to-fantasy boyz.  These were dipped using minwax polyshades antique walnut wood stain.  I like the way they turned out, as I was able to churn them out much faster than standard highlighting.  This leaves a moderately glossy finish, so they need some matte varnish too.

A few individual orcs:

I'm working on a boar chariot at the moment.  After that, I have some spider riders and savage orc boys to finish!

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »
The painting on the latest state troop picture is a massive improvement on the earlier stuff, well done.

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
Indeed, you show quite an improvement! Took me nearly 8 years to get that far  :::cheers::: Keep this up and the thread well posted!

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »
Fantastic
You can really see the progress,and the Goblin Boss is a real improvement :eusa_clap:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  To be fair, the first stuff was done when I was 12 or so, and I am 24.  I did take about a 6 year break though from 15-21..

It is very satisfying to see my painting improve over time.  It's nice motivation to want to paint more.  At this point I am trying to focus more closely on my speed than ultra-high quality, as I have tons of models I want to paint  :happy:  Hopefully I can try and finish up my boar chariot this weekend.  I was going to dip it, but now I think I might just highlight normally... we shall see.

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (06-14 - hirst arts goodness!)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »
Just want to share what I have been working on.  Just finished gluing all the pieces together for this ruined tower using hirst arts molds and dental stone.  I mostly followed the plans for their ruined fieldstone tower, but the top of the tower was my idea.  Hopefully I can get it painted and finished in the next week or so.  I put a few 7th ed empire soldiers in it to show the scale.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
Damn that is cool!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 01:19:54 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty fun to build.  I would catch myself just staring and thinking how cool it looks instead of actually doing work on it.  I followed the instructions here:
http://www.hirstarts.com/ruinfld/ruinfld.html

The molds used were mold 70 (basic fieldstone) and mold 75 (ruined fieldstone) to make the fort and tower, then I improvised and used mold 77 (octagon tower) to make the top of the tower.  I also have mold 74 for the bridge, and mold 240 for wood shingles.  I wish I had mold 230 so I could make some roman-type shingle roofs for the campaign  :blush:

I have also built the standard bridge, I just need to paint it as well.  I plan to paint them both together.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:25:30 AM »
WOW dude very nice tower  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »
I love ruins like that tower!  You don't happen to be an Oblivion player, by chance?  The top of that tower reminds me of somewhere.
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline Joelatron

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 05:18:19 AM »
sweet tower. And Thanks for including a link to the company's website, Now to wait for favourable exchange rates and find dental stone in New Zealand...

My Mordheim terrain is about to get a whole lot cooler.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
I love ruins like that tower!  You don't happen to be an Oblivion player, by chance?  The top of that tower reminds me of somewhere.
I do not play oblivion (never heard of it), but i do plan to use it for mordheim.

sweet tower. And Thanks for including a link to the company's website, Now to wait for favourable exchange rates and find dental stone in New Zealand...

My Mordheim terrain is about to get a whole lot cooler.
The molds are really nice.  They are all silicone.  Albeit, they are a bit pricey.  Good for Christmas though.  You don't need to use dental stone.  Plaster of paris could work as well.  I just used the dental stone because I had access to it through my school (I'm taking dentistry).  Dental stone will be harder and denser, so will be less likely to chip.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
Time for another update!  Got some other stuff painted, but have to take pictures.  In the meantime, here is my entry for the first conversion contest in the TnG campaign:  Ogre "Orceaters".  They are armed with great weapons.  The ogre in the centre has gone savage, and likes to eat the most out of the 3.  In fact, he is carrying a large animal's leg into battle in case he gets hungry between scraps  :biggriin:

The have lived away from their tribe for so long, that all the gnoblars that followed them are now gone (read: eaten) so they have taken to keeping snotlings as their pets.  They aren't as smart, but are even more fun to kick around!  They are a bit stringy though, so have to be marinated for the best eating  :closed-eyes:

Offline anvalous

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (08-18 ogre orceaters)
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
Timbor!  Well done!  The wolf pelt is great and the fact that the dude with the spear looks like he's just going to be bludgeoning someone with it is neat.  Pants on the 'extra savage' guy are done really, really well.  If you're going to be rocking out more ogres, I suggest you look at this guys' project blog on Warseer.  Made me dizzy with glee when I first saw it.  The way you did the fur reminded me of this guy's work.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250907

Cheers!

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (08-18 ogre orceaters)
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
I can't wait to see them painted...  :happy:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War