home

Author Topic: Orcyboy's hobby blog  (Read 31995 times)

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Orcyboy's hobby blog
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:07:46 PM »
Well seeing as photobucket zapped everything a while back I guess this is a good point to start a new.

I haven't been doing Empire in a while, its been all things goblinoid for the past few years but no doubt I'll swing back around to the Empire.

Mainly this will be a duplication of what I'm posting on my blog http://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/ but there are some things that just don't fit there that might end up here.

Since October (Orctober) Ive been inspired by an ongoing challenge to paint 1000pts of Oldhammer miniatures in 6 months. In keeping with the initiative I've been aiming to paint 200pts of miniatures (3rd edition) a month. So far so good with the exception of December.

But lets step back and let me re-post my October painting:

http://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2017/10/my-orctober-showcase.html

My Orctober showcase!
So it looks like this Orctober has been a banner month for me. I think I've painted more this one month then I have in that past two years.

So here's a quick review of what Ive finished this month.

First up an Orc hero. One of my favorite Orc heroes I might add. He's got everything you'd want from an 80's Orc- leering grin, gangly limbs and an awesome helmet.

Next up is an Orc champion. Originally intended to be the leader of my Orc crossbow unit but  usurped by another.

A mighty unit of 28 Orc Crossbows.  Hopefully I'll have more pictures and an actual story to go with them coming up next month or so.

I ended up using Mr. pointy finger as their leader. I figured crossbows are a bit complicated for Orcs and they'd need a disciplinarian with a whip to keep them on task. But honestly this is one of my least favorite Orc models, he's a bit static and the modern looking books and big shoulder pads look a bit too 40k, he may end up being replaced at some point.

One of the odd ball models in the unit. I believe he's from Citadel Ad&D line.

A quick pre-slotta Orc. Didn't turn out too great, the skin tone makes him look frog-ish. One of the crossbow orcs was pulled from the pre-slotta The Ol' Rusty Axe Gang so I need to paint up a replacement.

Last off I finished a couple Orc villagers that have been pushed around my desk half painted for a couple years.

So that's it for Orctober.  I'll post my stuff for November shortly.

Bye for now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:59:41 AM by orcyboy »

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
Re: Orcyboy's hobby blog
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »
*clap clap*
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:06:33 AM »
 Trolls!

The plan was to get three Trolls painted up before the end of November in an effort to keep up with painting 200 points of Oldhammer a month.

Well I buckled down and painted eleven Trolls! Plus tidied up another five or so. That makes for a nifty unit of 16 Trolls plus a hanger on.

So lets take a look.

The big bad Troll gang... ere we go ere we gooo...

First are the three oldest fellas. 1984 models I believe and quite nice. The Squidward looking guy in the middle came out the best. I was surprised by the little details on these guys from mushrooms growing on the ones head to all the little skulls and charms.

A C20 marsh troll, marauder troll, C20 Hill troll and another Marauder troll. I painted the one purple on a whim and he came out surprisingly well.

Another C20 marsh troll and a C20 cave troll. These guys I painted in the mid-2000's

Four more marauder trolls. I believe that makes for a complete collection of marauder trolls.  These are old paint jobs. Originally painted by my brother in the early 90's.  I acquired them and dry-brushed them in the early 2000's and just updated their bases. A bit rough looking but serviceable.

The same marsh troll as seen above plus another hill troll. I actually have four more hills trolls on the back burner for now, two of the same models in the unit is enough.

A couple of D&D style trolls.  The one on the left is Ral Partha AD&D 1988 line and the other is a TSR Troll from 1984.  I'm not sure what the deal is with D&D trolls, they have kind of a swamp thing/vegetable vibe. I guess they're just your garden variety trolls...  Although the Ral Partha one is a beautifully crafted sculpt I don't care for him much. I do however like the TSR troll (kind of an Andre the Giant look) and he fits it fine for now with the rest of my trolls.

And last we have their leader. I nice battle troll from Knightmare games. I picked him up through the Greenskin Wars kickstarter.  He's a good blend of Oldhammer and Middlehammer and fits in perfectly imo.
So that's it for November.  I managed to paint up 11 new trolls at 65pts each totaling out to 715 pts. 500+ points over my goal.  Plus I fixed up half a dozen old paint jobs putting together a unit of 16 trolls at 1040 points.  I doubt I'll ever field that many trolls at once but who knows.

Since I was all about trolls this month I also re-uploaded my troll tapes to youtube. (I lost the creds to my old youtube account and had to create a new one). I also added another one I forgot last time. Its even got a nice holiday jingle just in time for the season:
https://youtu.be/u6sUVbXHUXQ

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
Since October (Orctober) Ive been inspired by an ongoing challenge to paint 1000pts of Oldhammer miniatures in 6 months. In keeping with the initiative I've been aiming to paint 200pts of miniatures (3rd edition) a month. So far so good with the exception of December.

That challenge looked like a lot of fun, and I would have joined in except all of my projects are WIP and they wanted un-started armies, and I've got an amplified version of Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder, and figured I probably would have gotten distracted into a different project after just a few months.  :icon_lol:

First up an Orc hero. One of my favorite Orc heroes I might add. He's got everything you'd want from an 80's Orc- leering grin, gangly limbs and an awesome helmet.

Those old gangly orcs are awesome. I wish they were easier to come by, or there were some alternatives in that style available now. I'd like to put together a small warband/mercenaries. But everything seems to be in the more muscular, blocky style.

That is a pile of old trolls! Very cool.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:55:31 PM »
Trolls are awesome creatures. Always had my unit of stone trolls in every army and rendition. It makes me think, I have 3 from some other supplier and a regular troll from a starter army I think. I’m a bit like 023 ( GADD not skill 😸) in catching a whim and following it rather than sticking to my guns.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »
so old...so hammerish. Nice thread! Gangliness really was the style of the day on orcs and trolls. The other thing I noticed is that the weird ape-style 'arms that reach to the knees' that I don't like about modern GW orcs have been around forever.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 06:44:14 AM »

Those old gangly orcs are awesome. I wish they were easier to come by, or there were some alternatives in that style available now. I'd like to put together a small warband/mercenaries. But everything seems to be in the more muscular, blocky style.

That is a pile of old trolls! Very cool.  :eusa_clap:

Yep, would be nice if somebody still made something similar. About the closest I can find are the Orcs from Old Glory's Ghost line and even those are fairly dated.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
Some artillery finished.

So I didn't quite finish these next guys in December I was only about 80% done until last weekend when I finally finished them.

I have two old Notlob's bolt throwers and two of the newer style (relatively speaking) Orc "Spear Chukkas".
http://www.solegends.com/citrr/1rr14notlobs/index.htm

The two older style bolt throwers. One I had painted a little while back but I updated it with bow string.

The newer style bolt throwers (Spear Chukkas).

The Orc in the middle is the acting engineer/boss. As far as I can tell Citadel made at least two variations of this Notlob model, one with an all chain mail coat and this one with a scale mail vest.

So that's about 186 point and if we call the Boss a 5th level hero that should put me over the 200pt mark.

Not sure what I'll be doing for January. We're already a couple weeks into it and things are busy, might need to call this month a wash.

But I'm looking at either finishing my Orc villagers or working on another proper unit of Orc boyz.  I'm leaning towards the villagers as they're unique and fun but I don't think they'll total out to 200 pts.

Bye  for now-
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:29:12 PM by orcyboy »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
A lovely collection of those older orc figures. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: Orcyboy's hobby blog (The village people)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 11:09:59 PM »
Finished my villagers a couple weeks ago and finally took some pics.

If ever I get around to using them in a battle I'd probably draw on the old levies rules from 3rd edition or maybe subject to stupidity (drunk and disorderly).

The drunks

The brawlers

The ladies

Looters

The tribes witch doctor forms the closest thing to a leader and here he is surrounded by some yokels with enough presents of mind to bring along something resembling weapons.

That's it for now.  Working on some more boyz and a couple more trolls now.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:23:27 PM by orcyboy »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:32:55 PM »
By the gods! That’s an absolutely amazing crowd. They are the happiest orks I’ve ever seen 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 11:37:46 PM »
Excellent! What a great idea too!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 04:29:20 AM »
10 Orcs boyz and couple more trolls completed.

I think I finally got my Orc painting mojo back. The crossbow Orcs I over blended their greens, the villagers I got bored and relied too much on dry brushing but these guys came out just right sticking with bolder contrasts.

I also feel the need to re-iterate my love for these old models.  A mix of Kevin Adams and the Perry twins with one White Hand LOTR Orc that I'm not sure of the designer probably one of the Perry's or Morrison's.

Showing off their shield work

and last a couple more Trolls. Both are from Heartbreaker. The one on the right is from their Magic the Gathering line, the other is from their later Tim Prow line I think but mine I picked up with the recent Kev Adams/Tim Prow kickstarter run by Impact! Miniatures and is cast in a plastic/resin similar to fine cast.

More Orcs in the pipeline.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:19:00 PM by orcyboy »

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
That's new stuff eh?  :icon_lol:
Cool work!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
For some reason I cannot see any of the February pics - January ones are fine. Last 2 updates I am just getting the 'no entry' sign?
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
For some reason I cannot see any of the February pics - January ones are fine. Last 2 updates I am just getting the 'no entry' sign?

Weird, they're missing for me now too. I'll try and figure out whats going in this afternoon, maybe google doesn't like how I'm linking them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:20:04 PM by orcyboy »

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »
Not sure what happened to the pics, they are working for me now again at least for the moment. The first villagers pic I found the image tags had inserted width and height metrics which I had not applied. I removed those and replaced the pic link which may also have changed by google and with that all the other pics started magically working including the March post, so I dont know whats up.

Does anybody have any recommendations on hosting and posting pics these days now that photobucket is dead? I really don't trust google photos and I'm not really sharing the photos the way they recommend (I pull the image url out of the "View image info" rightclick option).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:19:42 PM by orcyboy »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
for photohosting, imgur has worked well for me for a few years now. of course like with any 'free' service on the internet, you never know, they may change their policy tomorrow.

p.s. I can only see the first Jan pic and none of the Feb ones. ...and I think I am missing out on some orcy goodness
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 05:02:21 AM »
I made some tweaks, are the pics working now?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
Yes - super - Thanks - and worth the wait.  :biggriin:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
Amazing!  That one  with the blue hood reminds me of my banker. When things are good he’s smiling, when bad he’s more like the one to the left of him 😺
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Excellent! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
 So ten more Orc boyz are done as I crawl towards what I hope to be a large unit of 30 Orcs. 20 down 10 to go.

Some more examples of Kev Adams excellent 80's work.
Though I'm not sure about the one second from the right as a Kevin design. I was a little unimpressed with him at first, he's smallish and sort of man-ish but he painted up well and I kind of like him now. The guy on the far right is one of my favorite designs. Some of you might recognize Bruglodd in there, he wont be part of the greater unit but he was in reaching distance when I was painting so he got the treatment.  I'm thinking the banner depicts "Mork da' Kunnin" or maybe its Gork I don't know.

And the next five. Nice models in general although the one on the far right has a face that is a bit miscast with what might be his left eye resting on his cheek.

All-together

The completionist in me made me pick up these two spear chukkas. They are similar to the Notlob bolt throwers I previously shared except they are festooned with all sorts of furniture. I believe these were the Dwarf bolt throwers from the same period. Unfortunately I could only dig up enough crew for one of them at least for now.

While taking pics I noticed one of the boyz had acquired himself a cute eight legged squigly beast.

OK, so 10 more orcs to go.

Bye for now-
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:06:33 PM by orcyboy »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
Quote orkboy: While taking pics I noticed one of the boyz had acquired himself a cute eight legged squigly beast.

Bloody hell! That is funny and somehow completely appropriate. Except I hate any animated arachnid although plastic spider riders are totally ok.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »
Quote orkboy: While taking pics I noticed one of the boyz had acquired himself a cute eight legged squigly beast.

Bloody hell! That is funny and somehow completely appropriate. Except I hate any animated arachnid although plastic spider riders are totally ok.

I tried to catch and release him but he was too quick, probably still lurking around the hobby desk somewhere. Hopefully he'll escape to someplace safe before my wife sees him.