home

Author Topic: Allies and Free Peoples...  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Condottiero Magno

• Members
Allies and Free Peoples...
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:12 AM »
Haven't purchased the General's Handbook 2017 yet and not finding any details about who could ally with whom online,  not that interested in the new ranges, such as Stromcast.

In a 2000 point game, I'd like to include Wood Elves with my Free Guild army. I had no problem doing this with the previous GH, taking into account faction specific abilities, so is this still possible?

How does the Empire and Bretonnian warscrolls work with Free Guild now?   

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Allies and Free Peoples...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
In matched play:-
Free Peoples can ally with Collegiate Arcane, Devoted of Sigmar, Ironweld Arsenal, and Stormcast Eternals

Free Peoples now have their own allegiance ability, command traits and artefacts.

You can still take a mix as an ORDER allegiance, and use the generic Order allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts.

Also, the compendium warscrolls have been updated.  Mostly making stuff generic, and taking off the FREE PEOPLES keyword for stuff that they don't sell any more.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/25/new-and-updated-faqs-forge-world-warscrolls-and-compendium-pdfsgw-homepage-post-1/

It does mean you're now better off using most of the old empire minis as Free Peoples properly rather than using the compendium stuff as Empire.   I guess it was inevitable there was always going to be a phasing out of the old stuff.  Especially now that the Free Peoples are featuring more in the fluff.

I'm looking forward to reading the background stuff that comes with Firestorm this weekend

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
Hmmm ... they are now calling state troops as Freeguild Guard.  I immediately associated it with Imperial Guard for 40K.  Although perhaps that is for another thread ...
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
In matched play:-
Free Peoples can ally with Collegiate Arcane, Devoted of Sigmar, Ironweld Arsenal, and Stormcast Eternals

Free Peoples now have their own allegiance ability, command traits and artefacts.

You can still take a mix as an ORDER allegiance, and use the generic Order allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts.

Also, the compendium warscrolls have been updated.  Mostly making stuff generic, and taking off the FREE PEOPLES keyword for stuff that they don't sell any more.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/25/new-and-updated-faqs-forge-world-warscrolls-and-compendium-pdfsgw-homepage-post-1/

It does mean you're now better off using most of the old empire minis as Free Peoples properly rather than using the compendium stuff as Empire.   I guess it was inevitable there was always going to be a phasing out of the old stuff.  Especially now that the Free Peoples are featuring more in the fluff.

I'm looking forward to reading the background stuff that comes with Firestorm this weekend
I know about the updated warscrolls and okay with it, except that all the characters were ditched and no more State Troop Regiment - so much for support - and that GW still hasn't made page 2 available online for artillery, so it's either an useless unprintable app which is a PITA to look at on my phone or spend $35 on a Grand Alliance book which might be invalidated the next year. :x

Would those warscrolls of generic ORDER be considered allies or just the for aforementioned ones? Great if not, as I could add 30 wardancers and/or knights to a force of one or two Freeguild Great Companies and spend the 200-400pts on Hellstorm rockets.

If fielding a mixed ORDER force, according to the General's Handbook 2017, am I now confined to allegiance abilities, command traits and artifacts from the generic list or could FREE PEOPLES pick from one and the generics from the other?     

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »
To qualify for an allegiance, all your units must have the same keyword.  to have the Free Peoples allegiance, you would need the FREE PEOPLE keyword on all of your units.   the exception to that is allies, which can be up to 20% of your armies points without losing the allegiance, but you're limited to the allies the FREE PEOPLE can have.

A generic ORDER allegiance, allows you to pick anything with the ORDER keyword

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:16:51 PM »
To qualify for an allegiance, all your units must have the same keyword.  to have the Free Peoples allegiance, you would need the FREE PEOPLE keyword on all of your units.   the exception to that is allies, which can be up to 20% of your armies points without losing the allegiance, but you're limited to the allies the FREE PEOPLE can have.

I get it...

I won't be able to use Freeguild Great Company if I were to add Wardancers. :eusa_wall:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:36:01 AM by Condottiero Magno »

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »

I get it...

I won't be able to use Freeguild Great Company if I were to add Wardancers. :eusa_wall:

Unfortunately not within the rules as they are.  Your opponent could be willing to be flexible and allow you to have WANDERERS as an ally of FREE PEOPLES.  If you're playing among mates, in most cases they won't mind small breakages of the rules like that.  Until you utterly annihilate them with that list, then they might not be so willing  :-)