home

Author Topic: Chaos Dwarf Fluff Objectives  (Read 1613 times)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Chaos Dwarf Fluff Objectives
« on: June 15, 2007, 01:32:02 PM »
Copied from Warvault:

Unlike all the other armies, the Chaos Dwarfs are not a race you can register as (we are trying to organise a petition for all the good it will do). So this presented us with a challenge, and our alliance with the Orcs is the solution. We don't have the luxury of being able to go alone and have our own fluff objectives, so most of ours are linked to our greenskin alliance.

What I present below are the fluff objectives as they stand at the moment. Our war council is still looking at where we will focus our attack in each region fluff wise.

CHAOS DWARF NEMESIS CROWN FLUFF OBJECTIVES

We will have a weekly narrative for each region so anyone interested can read it, but this simplified list is much shorter and more straightforward.

The Nemesis Crown. Obviously the Chaos Dwarfs cannot win this by themselves. This doesn't mean however that we don't want it. The Hand of Hashut (the name of our war council) has come up with a fiendish plan that we will reveal mid campaign to help us with this... However, the O&G are our main allies in this campaign, so we have to respect their plans for the crown.

Main 3 objectives (aside from wanting the crown)

These are our top objectives for becoming official mentions (in order of importance):

1. First and foremost the chaos Dwarfs have allied with Orcs because they are more than prepared to turn over the majority of slaves they capture. Whilst some will be eaten or kept for entertainment by the Orcs, slaves are no challenge once they are beaten. So as our main objective we'd like to be taking literally thousands of slaves. Whilst this isn’t fluff advancement as such, it represents something that all Chaos Dwarf players would want.

2. Secondly, the Chaos Dwarfs should be referred to as being 'combat engineers’. This is realistic given our industrial background, but more than that it would reflect our small numbers in a very important way. Though they may be few in number, they can do damage that slows or kills many times their numbers. Whereas in the Storm of chaos our artillery was the main focus, here we can demonstrate how few can achieve great things with engineering. This being described in two ways:

Slowing down our enemies:
The Chaos Dwarfs are master engineers, they have knowledge of gunpowder and rocket technology. Within the Great Forest they can blow up temporary bridges people have made across rivers and set hundreds of traps. These traps can take many forms; vast numbers of trees rigged to collapse, areas set so the ground collapses, landslides, bolt throwers, flame throwers, traps with daemon bound machines, pits with spikes in, building dams and then flooding etc. Basically slowing them down any way we can.

Speeding up the Orcs (and ourselves):
The Chaos Dwarfs will be hugely helpful in speeding up the progress of the Orcs, their engineering abilities being invaluable. The Chaos Dwarfs can build bridges overnight over minor rivers, cut paths through the thick forests with deadly machines and build temporary strong points. They can also help in fortifying camps and destroying the camps of our enemies as quickly as possible. Where speed is of the essence we can help.

3. Thirdly we use artillery in important ways. In the confines of the Great Forest, artillery will be inflicting a horrific amount of casualties. Whilst line of sight on the tabletop might imply otherwise, realistically this would be hugely important in the fluff. War machines will be firing into forests (so the falling trees etc will themselves also be causing damage), and will be entrenched or dug in behind impenetrable forests. Alternatively they might be on the few places of high ground, meaning that armies will take massive detours and ages to cut their way through to them, taking casualties all the time.

The daemonic and conventional (gunpowder) siege artillery of the Chaos Dwarfs will be very important here in aiding the Orcs. We can take down enemy war machines much faster, freeing up troops and speeding up their progress. Also the artillery can be used to destroy or distract any forces located in fortified positions.

Other things to mention:

The three fluff objectives above represent our biggest fluff objectives in the campaign. In addition to that, we have other things that would be excellent if people can periodically mention (in no particular order):

1. The Hand of Hashut War Council. This is the war council of the Chaos Dwarfs, enough said really.

2. The Diabullus. This is the strategic command point of the Hand of Hashut in the whole campaign located in the Barren Hills.

The Diabullus is a towering statue shaped like an immense bull in honour of Hashut, standing over 80 feet tall and made from thick iron. Within the torso the Hand of Hashut war council plan their campaign of destruction. It has been rumoured that the Diabullus is actually a giant Kollossus (mechanical giant), the huge cog mechanisms visible around its four legs seeming supporting such rumours.

3. Slash and Burn. To co-ordinate with our Orc allies, we will burn everything upon our exit from the Great Forest. This ultimately will help to weaken the Empire, thus allowing our slave raider armies to return more easily in the future.

4. The Hammer of Hashut. This is a Chaos Dwarf submersible that will be dropping off troops and supplies in the Reik’s Marches and Great Confluence regions. So armies fighting in those regions can mention sightings of the Hammer of Hashut; the Chaos Dwarf submarine travelling along the river.

5. Trading with Orcs. This will obviously be important to both sides during the campaign; the Chaos Dwarfs trading military hardware (armour, weapons, Iron backs and perhaps some other mechanical things…), the Orcs providing perhaps some important prisoners or captured magical artefacts in addition to yet more slaves. The Chaos Dwarfs are rich enough that we won’t need the rare amounts of gold/ silver etc to be found during the campaign.

6. Rykarth the Unbreakable. (<link, see bottom of page) He is the only named Chaos Dwarf hero taking part, so we need to look at where to fit him in (in the Talabec Borders obviously).

Other ideas which are not fluff objectives, but will find their way into our narrative. None of which are 'private', but I had hoped to surprise and entertain people on several forums with our narrative, so ideally keeping these inside this forum.

O The aim for the Draken Downs is to track down Hellcannons that were 'lost' during the SoC. Here I hope we can bring in such ideas as beastmen/ cultists worshiping one (feeding it stuff), the greenskins as having 'orcfied' one, and one being buried causing wierd things to happen nearby... Then there's one that will be in the Dragons cave, so we will be aiding the Dark Elves indirectly here as we fight to get it out.

O The aim for the Drakwald forest is a CD mining army that has been under siege since the SoC by a massive skaven horde moving towards Middenheim. Now they've learnt that an even bigger army is coming in going towards the Great Forest above them, so they'll be digging their way out and trying to keep their hated foe underground.

O The CD first learnt of the Nemesis crown from a dwarf prisoner they captured with a wierd map cut into his skin. Prisoner died, skin flayed off etc. I had thought to make this like 200 years ago, meaning that the CD had plenty of time to get prepared and troops into the region.

O We will have a machanical giant attacking Giants at the Giants Tump to test his effectiveness.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Chaos Dwarf Fluff Objectives
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »
These guys need a lot of help to get some recognition.  They have also mentioned they will target the Hunters and try to destroy them and their gathering place in the Talabec region (the Hunters Haven/manor).  I think many of their projected fluff goals we can help them with.  Even if you don't have games against them, you could mention something vague about Chaos Dwarfs potentially.

As always, let me know what you think.

not together.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
Horror!  These guys mean business!  I wasn't too scared of the Orc onslaught, or the eventual Dark Elf and Chaos involvement.  I was worried about Settra.  The Vampires are not a concern to me and the Skaven keep me up a little at night.

But the goddamn Chaos Dwarfs just demoralized the s* out of me!  We need to counter this fluff.  I volunteer, how do you think we should proceed?
I'm in college!

Offline Mark Perry

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:15:12 PM »
A crazy idea but..... What about loyal dwarfs of the Empire feeling outraged at their Chaos  counterparts invading the Empire set forth with Empire help to avenge themselves on the CD?

I have a Dwarf contingent at home and Im sure many others do as well, Dwarf malitia anyone? Could work with our own malitia units to attack the CD before they get orgonised,

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 02:58:39 PM »
A crazy idea but..... What about loyal dwarfs of the Empire feeling outraged at their Chaos  counterparts invading the Empire set forth with Empire help to avenge themselves on the CD?

I have a Dwarf contingent at home and Im sure many others do as well, Dwarf malitia anyone? Could work with our own malitia units to attack the CD before they get orgonised,

Awesomesauce.

Here's my bit of fluff so far.  It's an intro, really.  After this, I'll send off a scout/wrecking force to go recon and disrupt the Chaos Dwarf plans.  Should be fun!

Chaos Dwarfs are horrible creatures.  All the toughness and determination of our good friends coupled with the unspeakable taint of Chaos.  Their wretched civilization is akin to a great furnace kept fed by the fiery torment of a thousand souls – day in and day out.  This is the society of the Oathbreakers – the children of Grungi given into Chaos. 

Tarn Strott, agent of the Imperial Court

“Don’t let him get away!” Cried Helmut.  As the midday sun shone down through the forest canopy the bowmen’s arrows fell about the scurrying goblin.  They failed to hit the wailing little greenskin.  He was the last one still alive from a Goblin scout group and that meant the most dangerous.  Donnerhertz could not risk him getting back to his brethren and pointing them his way.   He needed the Greenskins to be ignorant of his force’s whereabouts – for now.

“Handgunners fire!”  Donnerhertz bellowed.  The battalion to his right let out an explosion of thunder and smoke, but they were too far to hit the Gobbo, and he knew it.  His eagle eyes scoured up the forest path and closed in on the squat little greenskin.  His men would likely now face an ambush and the current plan would need to be scrapped due to the thinly greenskin getting away. 

As he gave into this cruel twist of fate, he saw a single arrow shoot out from the trees, going perfectly through the goblin’s head.  It was swept off its feet into the air for a second by the arrow’s force then fell onto the path, dead as doorknocker. 

“Ha!”  Cheered Donnerhertz.  Within seconds Natty Bogstick and his Halfling rangers emerged from the trees, Natty himself retrieving his arrow from the Gobbo’s skull. 

“Good tas see ya,” yelled Natty from up the path.  “Lil’ scrub steal some linens or sumthin’?”  Natty cleaned of the blood and gobbo guck from his arrow and deposited it back in his quiver.

Donnerhertz and his column rapidly marched up the path.  The Halflings had already pulled out their lunches. 

“Just the last part of a damn Greenskin scout party,” replied Donnerhertz.  “By Sigmar, you Smallbows are indispensable!  The Empire needs more of you around!”

“Thank ya sir,” said Natty.  “All the stirrin’ in the Forest lately, action’s good.  But, we got sumthin’ for you,” Natty added in a serious tone.  He unwrapped a piece of iced cake and took out half of it in one bite.  “Yoog gknow but Chaost Dwavs?”  Natty asked with his mouth full.

Donnerhertz tensed.  “Have you spotted them operating in this region?”  Donnerhertz asked, both serious and afraid.

“Aye, we’s seen ‘em doin’ a lot more than just operate,” Natty stated grimly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:37:44 PM by Dendo Star »
I'm in college!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 03:02:53 PM »
That's good stuff Dendo!  You've been hiding that talent from me. :wink:

not together.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »
Sweet, thanks!  I'm leaving work early today, but I'll be in tomorrow.  I'll get goin' on the full fluff tomorrow.

It's a double XP weekend on City Of Heroes this weekend.  So I don't know If I can work on it from home.  :happy:
I'm in college!

Offline Ostermarker

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »
Couldn't you do something like:

Report to General Helstrom.

Boris Hertwig, Helstrom's 4th, Ostermark Regiment.

Sir, having been attacked by Greenskins at Egondorf, I went out with the White Wolves which had accompanied me south. With us were some Hunters of Sigmar. For Sigmarites, they fought well.

As we approached the camp, we saw the foulness of the Greenskins. We butchered them for they had done to the villagers. We found one still alive, both Johann Fleischer and Karl Drauwulf tried to heal him, he died. However, before he died he mentioned were the rest of the villagers had been taken by dwarfs, who had tusks, and brought with them idols of bulls, and weapons the likes of which neither Altdorf nor Nuln could possibly think of.
So, Ostmarkers wear purple, but it's manly purple, not like that Bretonnian purple.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 01:04:32 PM »
Here's part 2.  I guess I will do 3 parts.  Part 3 being the longest and most action packed.

“And we’re going to try and kill them?  With those ungodly Hellcannons?  How in the name of Sigmar are we to attack that?!  I’ve heard the stories from the Ulricians…” 

Oscar raised his hand and cut Hans short.  “First off,” he started, “They have no Hellcannons.  Not yet anyway.  But they have rockets, cannons, and giant fire breathing demons.”  Oscar chuckled and continued walking through the camp to the den of his Wreckers.

“I hate you Hauptmann,” Hans replied dryly with a bit of humour in his voice.  He followed his commander.  Their group leader always had a good bit of sarcasm for the huntsmen know as the Wrecking Crew.

They moved through the 2nd Militia Regiment tents and caught the soothing odor of pipe smoke, brandy and incense.  After a few more paces they came to the temporary home of the Wrecking Crew.  Hans briskly passed his Hauptmann and moved aside the sheet the Wrecks had strung up for some privacy.

“Chaos Dwarfs.  Sigmar above and Moor be merciful,” Hans muttered without even looking at a single one of his comrades as he trodded in.  After this Oscar moved inside the tiny enclave as well.  Already, the boys and girls of the regiment were looking at him as if he was some traveling clown.

“You’ve got to be fu…” started Isabella.

“No.  No one say anything ‘til I’m done with the mission overview.  This is easier than what I expected when the boss gave the initial order.”  Oscar then reached in to the special compartment on his quiver and pulled out a heavy sheepskin map.  Laying it on the ground, he unsheathed his knife and pointed it to their present position.  “We’re here.  A group of Chaos Dwarf cannons that think they’re sneaky is going to try and get to this hill here, near Giants Thump.  We wager a Greenskin attack is going to be directed there and the cannons are part of the support force.”

What Oscar didn’t know was that these Chaos Dwarfs were under orders to arrive early and rile up the Giants as part of a grand scheme…
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:50:57 PM by Dendo Star »
I'm in college!

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
Basically, the 3rd chapter will be done later than anticipated, next week if that's okay.  It'll involve the Wreckers, an Orc Batallion, the Chaos Dwarfs and a cameo by a rather pissed off Giant.

Shenanigans will ensue!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:49:53 PM by Dendo Star »
I'm in college!