home

Author Topic: The new WD mag #319  (Read 9534 times)

Offline Gargoyle

• Members
Re: The new WD mag #319
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2006, 03:43:51 PM »
It does look good.
Only Heretics use Black Powder.

An Armies of Arcana exponent. ;)

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
Druchii.net is a nice site, even if advise to take four-mage armies creep up a little too often, or at least it did when a Dark Elf playing friend of mine frequented the site.

And if nobody mind, I'd like to restate PygmyHippo's question: is there a need for an Empire equivalent? Important question, that.
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2006, 04:14:21 PM »
Need for empire equivalent.

This is what Guvnor thinks not what everyone thinks, of course.

I believe the newsletter would serve well as a way of displaying information that would normally be put in posts like tournaments, rumours, stories, conversions, painting guides, new articles and location of thsoe articles. Although I do see it would have to be quite regular to do this.

People are more liely to read a long article than a long forum post. I know I have pronbblems reading the stories in the office because it is a lot of text, and even when broken up, its still the same chunks. A newsletter can play around with format, and this makes it easier to read, and if I can do it, I will putit into printable format.

Lastly, things like this are a source of pride and so on, I think that it may 'complete' the site.

I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »
I don't much like to read anything long on a computer screen.

I believe the newsletter would serve well as a way of displaying information that would normally be put in posts like tournaments, rumours, stories, conversions, painting guides, new articles and location of thsoe articles

Would a newsletter be better than the library/war room/workshop sections we have now?

If so, why?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gargoyle

• Members
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2006, 11:53:52 PM »
Is the library/war room a regularly updated feature?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2006, 06:40:14 AM »
I think I would be in, however I'm unsure as to the quality I would be able to submit. Conversions and theming are my passion, and I think I could contribute some to it, however as for painting......

I'm not much of a fluff master, so I would only really contribute ideas, and attempt to implement them.... and possibly give suggestions on how people can do it themselves.

As for the need for it - I don't think we have as many members as druchii.net (just a wild guess, no factual backing), and it being empire specific means that we can only issue so many editions with new information - although a new army book coming out could be handy for the substance inside...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Guvnor

• Members
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2006, 08:02:20 PM »
Can't write much now, but Rufus,

Don't like readingf on screen for long time, I said printable format.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Mystic Force

• Members
  • Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2006, 08:39:51 PM »
I have seen something on a different site that bugmans was contemplating doing exactly this, but wanted to broaden it out to other races.  That came from a vampire site so how reliable that was I dont know
Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2006, 11:59:04 PM »
Is that a comment on Vampires? or a comment on the excellent mods here?  :-D
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline AldebrandLudenhof

• Members
  • London, UK
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2006, 01:20:45 AM »
or a comment on the excellent mods here?  :-D
And the OBN goes too... :wink:

On topic, printable format is good.

And one side effect of something like this is, having a deadline forces people to actually do stuff. This website will (we hope!) be around for some time to come, so there's no rush to get that article you've always been meaning to write actually done. I think that represents a purpose in itself.

You can always throw in fluff quizzes, petty competitions, short book reviews, short battle reports - in fact, anything short that might be interesting but wouldn't normally be stored in the articles section of a website.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2006, 11:51:26 AM »
Printable format of the articles on here is what I'd be looking for.  Not an all new magazine.  Although, I could come up with a few fluff quizes that could be added...
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »
Printable format of the articles on here is what I'd be looking for.

I thought they already were. They all have little buttons that say 'pdf' and 'print' anyway - what happens when you click on those?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Mystic Force

• Members
  • Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »
OT reply to above.

The moderators are absolutely awesome here.  I like how stuff is quickly nipped in the bud and the forum stays crisp and on topic, I think this is why this forum is so much more active than many others.  People are courteous and helpfull not derogatory and mean spirited and superior.  And overall the place isn't populated with powergamers who seem to want to bait people into flame wars.  Also there arent stupid signitures that take up 4 times the space of the posts that I have to wade through to read any responses.  That quote from Homer Simpson was funny the first time I read it not the millions of times I want to scroll past it.

Back on topic.

I think that some cross forum on line magazine could be great if done well.  I am quiet willing to produce content, I don't know what exactly, but I do love building scenery.  Experimental rules or units form Hammer and Anvil could be included so that the things they do could could get a wider audience, and thing from different races could be shown to others who aren't collectors of that army, but would still find it interesting.  Making WD is a full time job for a large collection of people, and lets face it they have nice photos.  I don't know how many people actually have digital cameras with the same capability needed for professional shots, as witnessed by many peoples beautifully painted models not really being given full justice due to less than desirable picture quality, by no fault of the photographer I must add.  Also it would be very time consuming for who ever is in charge of the enterprise.  the other question is how to distribute.  Should it be a go to website article or an emailed out PDF thats printible?

Well I am willing to donate my time, I actually enjoy the dull buisness or organising things, so if it looks like it can fly count me in.

Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2006, 05:42:36 PM »
Printable format of the articles on here is what I'd be looking for.

I thought they already were. They all have little buttons that say 'pdf' and 'print' anyway - what happens when you click on those?

I guess I'm just blind.  Then I thought I was going crazy because I swear that it wasn't there before...maybe it's just one article that's missing it.  But if it is, I'll let someone else point it out.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Guvnor

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2006, 09:06:11 AM »
I think I'll try one of these poll things in the EF asking whether people want a newsletter, whether it is worth it and so on.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2006, 09:34:05 AM »
I think the point rufus was trying to make was that much of the content that is being discussed is the type of articles that we have homes for already.

We have the Library for fiction, humorous takes, and historical fluff.
There is the Workshop for modelling and painting articles, the War Room for tactics and the Gallery for pictures.

We get a lot of visitors who just visit those areas, I know several people who have commented very favourably on our Library for example, particularly as it is a feature many other 'army sites' do not have.

I must suggest that I think this is an ambitious project - to take on WD, or the WD the way it used to/should be, and as the General said earlier the web should be about pictures and small amounts of text, and a magazine should be hard copy you can read in the loo.
 :wink:

A test if you like would be to get people to produce a number of articles over a given period - if there are enough, of suitable quality and variety, then it could be a goer, if not then any articles that people have worked on would not necessarily be wasted time as they could go into the appropriate section of the site as listed above.

My opinion would be thus:
Members who want to do this sort of thing would probably be producing regular stuff for the site already.
We would be better campaigning to  GW for the General's take on WD v. the Web and see what happens.

If there was a concerted letter campaign of sensible content making the points to GW, rather than the crap trolling evident on the forum they closed, they may just take notice.

As they are sales driven then the arguments have to be aimed at pointing out that they have to make the hobby more interesting and 'hobby projects' such as themed armies, unit conversions alongside exciting stirring tactically sensible battle reports encourage sales.

WD should contain all this stuff, alongside the adverts. If it continues to become a glorified catalogue then its circulation is bound to drop - you only need one list of the models available afterall.

I still refer to my 1999 and 2000 catalogues in good old black and white for bits and minis much of the time.
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2006, 12:00:20 PM »
A test if you like would be to get people to produce a number of articles over a given period - if there are enough, of suitable quality and variety, then it could be a goer, if not then any articles that people have worked on would not necessarily be wasted time as they could go into the appropriate section of the site as listed above.

I wholeheartedly agree!  Getting 50 people to express that they want to help in a poll means little.  Getting 50 people to submit articles means alot.  If the articles never see the light of a newsletter, it's alright since it can be considered the most productive call for submissions to the War Room, Library and Gallery material in the history of W-E.com.

M.

Offline Gargoyle

• Members
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2006, 07:33:49 PM »
No it doesn't.
You may as well send soiled toilet tissue because that folks will wind up filed in the same place as your carefully worded prose.
THEY DON'T CARE !!!!
They don't give a monkeys  about your 'ideas' and 'concepts' of the direction of 'ANYTHING.'
Guys, wake up.
It's over.
They've made their choice.
We are older than 12.
Move on.
If you can't move on then I should warn you that recurring headaches and concussion will occur if you continue to bang your head against a brick wall.
Midaski you old romantic, you should know better... a man of your age and all... :-o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:39:34 PM by Gargoyle »

Offline AldebrandLudenhof

• Members
  • London, UK
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2006, 07:45:45 PM »
It doesn't what?

Like I said - I agree with Pygmy Hippo - you want a reason for doing it? To make some article stuff actually get written and beyond the "some day" or "that would be a good idea" stage.

Offline Dain of the Border Legion

• Members
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
Its a great idea! In theory....

I don't personally think that you need to 'dilute' this site, I have been on the net for ages, played warhammer since 1984, read every White Dwarf from 1 - 220 several times and I can honestly say that this site is the BEST site/source of information I have ever found for Warhammer, not just the Empire but all armies. It's fair to say that I don't agree with everyones views on this forum and they don't agree with mine, but the beauty of this forum is that everyone just gets on, if a thread gets volatile, it gets locked, you can't ask for anymore than that really to be fair.

If you produce a zine that takes up time and effort my worry is that the quality of articles submitted here will suffer. Saying that if the zine was to go ahead on a 'trial' basis after all of the above questions have been examined thoroughly and answered to everyones satisfaction [including myself] I would be happy to give up my time to help in anyway possible, even if its being the 'tea boy' who proof reads things.

I think the way to go forward is to run a trial issue or two, see what feedback you get and then decide from there. If you see a noticible downturn in the 'quality' of articles submitted over 4-8 weeks for the zine you know its a non starter. I also think you would need to run it as an extension of this site if it proved it could run on its own two feet, for this you would need the ok from the people who make this site as awesome as it is.

If the trial run proves successful, AND the powers that be here allow any end product to be affiliated with this site, then you may have something very special on your hands, if it fails it fails, but its better to try than to just moan about WD. To be fair, if you are not unlucky enough to have a subscription to it, you don't have to buy it, no-one is forcing you to!

Just my thoughts really, I hope I havent wandered about too much with my train of thought!

Dain.
Playing Warhammer since 1984 doesn't make you good, it just makes you old, not as old as Midaski however :)

It's the small things in life....