home

Author Topic: For feck's sake GW, NOT AGAIN!!!  (Read 37755 times)

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: For feck's sake GW, NOT AGAIN!!!
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
But Who will I have to call me names and state facts as they know them without any rules to back them up now :'(

Because of the abscense of nooky in your life, your mirror.

One day you will look up on me and ask "want extra shine on those sir?".

And MrD, it was never quitting.

It was all about wasting time here when I can waste time painting and actually enjoy the game.

That and reading my WDs while inhaling the finest Havanna ever made.

I love this as it fits myself right now -> Hi-yo Silver, away!  :icon_lol:
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »

The only thing I have seen growing on this site of late is GW hate and I am beginning to loose interest.

Bye!

But Who will I have to call me names and state facts as they know them without any rules to back them up now :'(

Ummm... you continue to make yourself look the part of the fool.  YOu misquoted me, then responded a second time on the bottom of the post to the same quote.

You are not even in my class son.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »

The only thing I have seen growing on this site of late is GW hate and I am beginning to loose interest.

Bye!

Ummm... you continue to make yourself look the part of the fool.  YOu misquoted me, then responded a second time on the bottom of the post to the same quote.

You are not even in my class son.

Phil

You seem to conveniently forget that I'm dyslexic and often make mistakes with words.  I saw the mistake and edited out the mistakes I found.

Do you really have anything to say but call people names phil?  Even with my disability I still manage to construct arguments and all you can do is name call.  Your right I'm not in your class I left school and name calling years ago and went into further education and your still in the play ground.

edit Notice how some people ignore the content and just attack with meaningless crap LMAO
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:55:50 PM by Parka »

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »
Dude....Parka and Phil have some serious shit going down.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »
No not really.  He will mellow with time.

I have unfortunately curddled.

As for the dyslexia, you do very well.  I have Tourettes, so you can imagine me slinging profanity at my cat if it makes you feel better about our clever little exchanges.

And I didn't actually read the rest of your quote because unlike in most threads I wasn't all that interested in what else you had to say.  But in all honesty, I often respond constructively to your threads when you have something thoughtful to say.

Phil

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
I believe you miss-quoted him as it was Shadowlord who said that. Which makes your hostile rant rather hillarious as you're yelling at someone random. Especially since you've quote Philly and Shadowlord as saying the exact same sentence. Which is awefully cunning.

Bye!

Tomorrow this whole place will be crawling with TWF Parkas.

Bye!

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
@Parka
Pot, meet kettle!  :dry:

Are you aware of the fact that what you do is simply a mirror of what you accuse Shadowlord of doing? And Shadowlord may be pretty serious, but at the same time, he is applying some humour to the debate. He enjoys his WD and his havanna. Good for him, he got a solid wage. But I doubt he is that loaded as some here seem to belive. It is also about priorities in life!

GW raises prices, yes, that hurts. Will it hurt them, time will tell. But one thing is for sure and that is that you can hate and spit gall as much as you like, they will not pay heed unless they see it as affecting their sales OR their brand. All this about GW getting away from the roots and such. Well, face it, they are on the stock exchange. They need to preform to keep their investors and owners happy and secure. They have to be efficient.

Is raising prices good? Maybe not, but what is this talk about 25-30%? If they do that, it will be pretty harsh, but at the same time, it seems as if this not an overall rise, but on some lines of product.
Also, I have no idea how this will affect Sweden, so I canīt really say for sure how it will hurt me. In the end, like I said, I might not buy as much, but I will not stop buying, just become more strategical. As for having to budget things weeks ahead, Dihennyd, well, I am not talking week, I might have to talk about months! And since my income is rather uneven, due to the nature of writer work and not knowing how much I will get on that line, or if I will have to relly on the meager unemployment support (which honestly should not be demanded to cover such extravagant hobbies like warhammer just like that) I might simply have to bide my time, and act when I can.

Still, I must say I have never been as happy with the hobby as I am today. It came after droping all this scare about maybe ever draging my arse to a tournament and therefore having to worry about everything being correct, to adopt a basement gamer thinking. What do I have to play against? Well, I can count upon three players, my son, Tom and Shadowwolf. Would it be fun to meet other opponents, yes, and it will surely happen, but it is nothing that really bothers me today, having few regular opponents.
As long as I have fun while doing it, as fun as I have while modelling and painting, I will be happy.

If GW gets too expensive, well, they might loose me until they lower prices, but I am sure not going to hate them like I could do earlier. Well, get a bit pissed and annoyed, but that is just healthy and fun!  :icon_razz:
We can say what we like about GW:s buisness metods so far, but they are not illegal, and they work! And they sure give quality.

It is a shame I canīt afford it as much as I would like.

But I really, really want to buy a good blunted medieval sword, one or two helmets, hell, a nice rivetted chainmail haubergeon and so and so... But I just can afford it at the moment! I really would have to save and save money for that! Shall I go around hating all the blacksmiths and factories producing these for the stuff costing so much? Will it lower the prices? No!
The stuff costs that much! Heck, in most cases it is really worth that much so why should I go about complaining about rising prices when it is simply the case that it is too big for my wallet to handle at the moment? Where is the freaking logic in that?

It is assumed that GW only charges these high prices because they can, and that in reality it ainīt worth that much at all! I could be that this is the case, but it can also be that GW MUST raise the price for good reasons. But no, GW canīt have a good reason for raising prices, only evil megacrops raise prices hurting my hobby... So GW must be evil!

But it is about buisness. Buisness. GW is acting on the global stock market. They HAVE to show results! You canīt have both the down to the roots, buddy hobbyist give you a good price just for you thing AND expect the company to survive in a global market.
What they are doing lately is trying to give something to everyone. They give the veterans and big collectors Apocalypse and Legendary battles. They supply new scenarios (like the raiding ones) to hobbyists that mostly play with their mates but might not have the stuff for legendary battles. Awesome! Just my stuff, really! And did Gav write anywhere in those articles for example he would come and shoot you if you fielded anything but GW models? No he did not.
GW are aware of those smaller companies, and they know they will not be able to compete with them, pricewise when it comes to casual gamers who does not attend their controlled tournaments. GW makes stuff to a much higher standard than say Black tree. So that will of course cost. And just because a model happen to be of metal does not make it better. I think Blacktrees stuff and others, is ok and nice. Heck, they are really usable. But they donīt match GW:s standards.

Hey, donīt let them get at you, Shadowlord.  And you too, Phil :::cheers:::

And talking about syndromes. I got Asperger and ADHD. Just to remind you all.  :icon_wink:

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
Na phil mostly you name call when you run out of words which seems to happen more often than not.

And what I had to say about you was the least thoughtful thing I wrote in the post so it seems like you just underminded yourself there.  

Some what like GW and their price hikes one too many and they will fall.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
Can we please get passed the 'who called who what' game? 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
I just had to watch The Apprentice, I've had enough for one week.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Nice post Mathi, you should consider something in a writing field some day.....  :icon_smile:

One thing I find interesting is the different companies (not just mini's, but games and other industries) approach to the new market reality.  GW has been in a slide for about 6 years now according to their published figures.  Their response has been manifold, including store closures, layoffs, etc. which is prudent and most companies do the same.  GW has been adopting this approach along with some interesting inventory shuffling strategies.

What I find interesting however are those whose response is to cut back on service and increase price to make up the shortfall.  Only the 300lb gorilla in that particular market can do so, and only so it can cover on the short.  The nimble or farsighted increase service, increase marketing and try to lower price or create attractive pricing options.  

I work for the 300lb gorilla in my industry.  But we go against the grain.  According the lastest figures, the company I work for did 15x the revenue and 20x the profit based on the published numbers vs GW.  We hold a 60% market share worldwide.  We have contracts in hand to anticipate a 25% growth minimum next year.  So we're set, right?  We should now hunker down and just ride the storm safely and take no risks.  No, we saw this market as a time to get even more aggressive.  We've LOWERED prices across the board.  We created new financing options.  We TRIPLED our service dept and DOUBLED our Marketing teams.  We are daily hiring the best and brightest of the other companies' layoffs.  If you are concerned about your dollar we committed to giving you even more value for less $.  Result?  I shudder to consider our growth even based on the conservative projections.  What happens when things get 'good' again?  And no, we're not in the auto industry.

When I look around at other gaming companies, I see a few who are taking this track.  Its risky, but man the payoff could be huge.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:31:12 PM by Dihenydd »
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »
Some good points Mathi

But blacksmithing is almost a dead art and not a mass produced product so that wasn't a great comparison.

As long as I have fun while doing it, as fun as I have while modelling and painting, I will be happy.

I agree and most of us probably have enough figures so never to need to buy one again. I think miniature games are more like a compulsive collecting hobby than a gaming hobby for many people if not most.

GW are aware of those smaller companies, and they know they will not be able to compete with them, pricewise when it comes to casual gamers who does not attend their controlled tournaments.

That's a monopoly isn't it?  So are you saying that GW can charge what the hell they like cause no one can compete with them

But they donīt match GW:s standards

On a fantasy level I think your correct, but Sci fI has warmachine and hoards.

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
I believe you miss-quoted him as it was Shadowlord who said that. Which makes your hostile rant rather hillarious as you're yelling at someone random. Especially since you've quote Philly and Shadowlord as saying the exact same sentence. Which is awefully cunning.

Err two fish one barrel :P

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2009, 09:32:02 PM »
Edit: Posted in the wrong thread! I have nothing to add, other than my charismatic presence and dashing good looks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:35:27 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
Thank you Dihenydd. I am after all doing some writing on a professional basis. Not as much as I would like, but still. Heck, I write saletext to book for example...  :icon_razz:

But blacksmithing a dead art? Hardly, Parka, hardly. It is NOT a dead art anymore, I can assure you of that. Not by far.
And there is a chinese company that massproduces blades of reasonable quality so there is that aspect aswell.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
Blacksmithing is dead in the same way Latin is. It will remain something for the specially interested, like film productions and LARPers.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
Thank you Dihenydd. I am after all doing some writing on a professional basis. Not as much as I would like, but still. Heck, I write saletext to book for example...  :icon_razz:

But blacksmithing a dead art? Hardly, Parka, hardly. It is NOT a dead art anymore, I can assure you of that. Not by far.
And there is a chinese company that massproduces blades of reasonable quality so there is that aspect aswell.

Blacksmithing is alive and well here in Canada.  Plenty of work availble.  There's fully Journeyman programs etc.  I do know one guy and I used to bug him about him working in a field 200 years behind mine.  Then he showed me a paystub.  Then he told me about the $ he makes under the table on evenings and w'ends.  Stupid Git.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »

I worked as a blacksmiths assistant or KunstSchmied in Germany and what we made wasn't mass produced in any shape or form, and a friend of mine is a blacksmith here in London and she makes wonderful art work with her skills.

But I guess with that many million people anything the chinese are going make is going to be mass produced.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:41:51 PM by Parka »

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
On a fantasy level I think your correct, but Sci fI has warmachine and hoards.

Mmmmmm. I like Warmachine and Hordes.

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
LOL I've thought that to, very nice range.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »
Na phil mostly you name call when you run out of words which seems to happen more often than not.

I only move to names when it is obvious that the conversation has finished and nothing more of worth is coming out of the person I am conversing with.  It doesn't happen often.  It has happened with you much more often.

And what I had to say about you was the least thoughtful thing I wrote in the post so it seems like you just underminded yourself there.  

Not really, looking back it was nothing which hadn't already been said or referrenced by others.

Phil

Offline Parka

• Members
  • Nuffles Loves Me
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
 :ph34r:

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
No not really.  He will mellow with time.

I have unfortunately curddled.

As for the dyslexia, you do very well.  I have Tourettes, so you can imagine me slinging profanity at my cat if it makes you feel better about our clever little exchanges.

And I didn't actually read the rest of your quote because unlike in most threads I wasn't all that interested in what else you had to say.  But in all honesty, I often respond constructively to your threads when you have something thoughtful to say.

Phil

Wait, Phil has Tourettes?

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
I'll explain it to you later. Don't worry Eight.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
I didn't think Tourettes would manifest itself particularly much on the internet.  :icon_confused: